Search for content in message boards

Peoples/McNabb

Peoples/McNabb

David Peoples (View posts)
Posted: 9 Nov 2004 7:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: PEOPLES, MCNABB, MCBRIDE
Carter county records and other documentation lists a marriage of James Peoples and Rhoda McNabb in 1803(1806). Does anyone have information about their family(s). I suspicion that they may have had a son named James b.abt 1808 who moved on to McMinn county and married Rachel McBride. Have a lot of documentation from James/Rachel forward but can't go back past them. HELP!!!

Re: Peoples/McNabb

Susan Willis (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 2004 10:05PM GMT
The following information was found on the Net and some is undocumented as to precise source; however, I imagine the will is at the Washington Co., TN courthouse in Jonesborough. John Peoples married Hannah Lusk. In addition to the 3 sons of John and Hannah who are mentioned in the will, it is believed that they also had a daughter Hannah who married Samuel Lusk:

John Peoples was a witness to James McKee's will of 26 April 1778 in Rockbridge County, VA and appeared in court to support it in August, 1778. -- Rockbridge County, VA Will Book 1, pp. 18-20

John, Nathan, and William Peoples all appear on the 1778 List of Tithables in Rockbridge County, VA. It appears that John, William, and Nathan were the Peoples brothers to leave PA for VA, as Robert continued to appear in records for Cumberland County, PA during that same period. Nathan Peoples is listed among members of the New Providence and Timber Ridge Presbyterian Churches in Rockbridge County in August, 1753.

John Peoples migrated to the Buffalo Creek section north of Dry Creek about 1784, in Washington County, Tennessee. He obtained 300 acres in land grants and the purchase of land grants. He also obtained land in the Cherokee and Bumpass Cove area. He raised three children, Nathan, Samuel W. H., and James.

WILL: Last Will and Testament of
John Peoples
"In the name of God, Amen.
I John Peoples of Carter County in the state of Tennessee do make my last will in form and manner following; that is to say I do give to my eldest son Nathan Peoples, one Negro boy named Isom to him and his heirs forever.
And to my second son named James Peoples I do give one Negro woman named Peggy to him and his heirs forever.
And to my third son named Samuel W. H. Peoples I do give one Negro woman named Dannier and all that tract of land I live on, all my personal and perishable property to him and his heirs forever, free from any person or persons whoever claiming any right thereunto in witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 29th day of January in the year 1801.
John Peoples"

Posted: 12 Dec 2004 2:50AM GMT
Edited: 16 Feb 2005 6:02PM GMT
I have a copy of "Carter County, Tennessee and It's People" book and there is an article about the Peoples. It does mention this John Peoples who had 3 sons, Nathan, James, and Samuel W.H. in that order, which is in confirmation of the will mentioned by your last response. It also goes on to say that Nathan married a Lavinia Patton in 1807, James married a Miss McNabb (no date) and Samuel W.H. married Mary Overholser in 1831. It says Samuel was born in 1784. The article never says who John Peoples married, just that he reared the 3 sons. It also says that John's father was Captain David Peoples , who migrated to Virginia with an English land grant about 1650. He grew and exported tobacco to Europe. Late in life Captain Peoples returned to Edinburgh, leaving three sons in Virginia. These sons and their families migrated to the Shenandoah Valley. I hope this helps some.

Posted: 13 Dec 2004 9:25PM GMT
Thanks for the information Linda. I would like to find a copy of the book you reference for my own use. Do you know if it is available anywhere. I think we can now confirm that the James who married Roda McNabb is the son of John!!! Now to find the children of James and Roda. I have all fingers crossed that one of them is my James b. 1808. Carter County marriages lists James and Roda marriage 1803. Some postings on the web have the marriage listed as 1806. I would think the county indes list would be the authority? Appreciate your help. We'll keep looking.
Dave.

Susan Willis (View posts)
Posted: 13 Dec 2004 9:44PM GMT
I believe John's father was Nathaniel Peoples of Cumberland Co., PA. Nathaniel/Nathan continues as a male name in the Peoples line fairly often. He is supposed to have had at least 4 sons: Nathan, William, John, and Robert. Robert appears to have stayed in Cumberland County, while the other three migrated down into VA, with Nathan possibly staying there while John and William ultimately ended up in East Tenn. (I'm related to the Peoples family by marriage through William). The Pattons (and one of their allied families the McKeehans) were early settlers in East TN, as were the Baptiste McNabb family. In doing some of the line for my cousin, I've hit some brick walls as well on James Peoples and Rhoda McNabb -- too early for census records to name any children. I feel confident she is of that McNabb clan who settled near the Pattons, McKeehans, Gourleys, and Hyders around Gap Creek and Powder Branch in Carter Co.

I'll be up in that area during the holidays, and will see what I can roust up about James and Rhoda and possibly the other Peoples. My cousin tells me that in some of their earlier records and tombstones they were still spelling the name Peebles.

Jerry Stout (View posts)
Posted: 13 Dec 2004 11:18PM GMT
I am not researching this family but have a reference for you for the marriage, as follows:
"Carter County, Tennessee Marriage Records 1796-1870" by Goldene Fillers Burgner, 1987.
Only license date is given in this reference
PEOPLES, James to Rodah McNABB, April 6, 1803; Surety: Nathan Peoples.

Posted: 14 Dec 2004 5:36PM GMT
Thanks Jerry. I had seen and recorded the marriage notice but had not seen the notation "surety Nathan Peoples" before. I presume this would have been his best man today? Anyway, good chance this would be his brother? Another factoid about the family.

Posted: 14 Dec 2004 6:16PM GMT
Somestimes called "bondsman" and often they are related. You may be correct in thinking a brother as on same page in same marriage book is the following:
PEOPLES, Nathan to Lavinia PATTON on June 17, 1807 [license only] Surety: Brewer MvcKen

Jerry

Posted: 14 Dec 2004 8:31PM GMT
I downloaded the "Carter County Marriages" list that is posted to the website, but it doesn't list any of those extra little facts like you have included. There are several PEOPLES, TAYLOR, MCNABB listed which are all part of this puzzle. If you had a chance, could I ask you to pull off the extra marriage facts for me for these surnames! Just might add to the clues.

Jerry Stout (View posts)
Posted: 14 Dec 2004 9:03PM GMT
Source: "Carter Co. TN Marriage Records 1796-1870" by Burgner [names recorded as listed in reference]
PEEPLES (PEOPLES, Alfred to WHITEHEAD, Emeline, [only one date] Jan. 15, 1846; surety: none listed; Official: Geo. W. PEEPLES, J. P.
PEEPLES, Samuel W. H. to OVERHOLSER, Mary E.; lic. Jan. 2, 1830; m. Jan. 7, 1830; Surety: Samuel Overholser; Official: J. H. Hyder, J.P.
PEOPLES, David H. to HYDER, Tabitha J. [one date] July 5, 1866; Surety: none listed; Official: Samuel Miller, J.P.
PEOPLES, James H. to ROWE, Elizabeth; Oct. 8, 1832; m. Oct. 11, 1832; Surety: Gilley Rowe; Official: John L. Williams, J.P.
PEOPLES, James M. to PARKER, Delia C., Nov. 29, 1870 [only date] Surety: none listed; Official: D. M. Patton, J. P.
PEOPLES, James to McNABB, Rodah, Apr. 6, 1803 Surety: Nathan Peoples; Official: none listed
PEOPLES, Kennedy to WILLIAMS, Mary, June 6, 1849, m. June 12, 1859; Surety: none listed; Official: J. S. Snodgrass
PEOPLES, Nathan to PATTON, Lavinia, June 17, 1807, Surety: Brewer McKen; Official: none listed
BRITT, David to PEEPLES, Matilda, Feb. 12, 1846 m. Mar. 6, 1846; Surety: William Shell; Official: L. D. Rowe, J.P.
BRITT, Jeremiah to PEEPLES, Vina, Oct. 27, 1841[only date], Surety: John Coleman; Official: John C. Keener, J. P.
DUNKIN, George to PEEPLES, Phennette, Sep 5, 1844 [one date]; surety: none listed; Official: John W. Cunningham
PYBOURN, Hugh D. to PEEPLES, Mary Ann, Feb. 17, 1832, m. Feb 21, 1832; surety: James McGage and Winne Peeples; Official: Wm. Peeples, J. P.

NOTE: An interesting fact about the 1850 census of Carter Co. TN is that the census taker included the year of marriage for the head of household.
Jerry Stout
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.