Search for content in message boards

Gosnells from Bathurst,New Brunswick

Gosnells from Bathurst,New Brunswick

Posted: 12 Oct 2001 11:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am just getting started in researching my family. My grandfather was Charles Wesley Gosnell, born February 22, 1892 in Bathurst. Parents were Joseph Gosnell (died Nov.3, 1939) and Emily Getty (died Dec.13, 1936) I do not have birth records on Joseph or Emily, or any family history. Joseph and Emily had several children : Charles Wesley, Florence May (born Oct.12, 1894) Sarah, born Jan.28, 1897 (died at 18 months) Laura Ethel (born May 20, 1899 and Harold (born 1901) also, I believe Arnold, Mabel and Stanley. I know there was a family of Gosnells who immigrated from Ireland and lived in Bathurst for a while before moving to Ontario, but have not been able to make any connection with the family I am looking for. Charles married Eliza Patterson( daughter of Duncan Patterson and Margaret Getty)...don't know if Margaret and Emily were related! My grandfather died in 1985 and grandmother in 1987.Any help would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

Re: Gosnells from Bathurst,New Brunswick

Jeff Gosnell (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2001 11:33PM GMT
I have a Charles Wesley Gosnell b. Feb 22, 1867 in Howard Township, Ontario Canada in my files. He was married to Henrietta Kauffman. Could this possibly be a relative? Perhaps the father of your Charles Wesley? I have extensive information on the Gosnells from County Cork Ireland to Highgate Ontario and Rochester New York. Email me for more details. I have a couple of addresses that may be of interest to you.

Posted: 13 Nov 2001 12:13AM GMT
Thank you, Jeff, for your reply! The Charles Wesley Gosnell (my grandfather) who I am researching, was born in Bathurst, New Brunswick on Feb 22 1892, the son of Joseph Gosnell, and Emily Getty. Ironically, the other Charles Wesley of whom you had written had the same birthday, but a few years earlier! My grandfather's grandparents were Thomas Gosnell and Mary Wolfe who had immigrated from Ireland and settled in Bathurst, New Brunswick. Any additional information you have regarding this family would be greatly appreciated since I am just new at all of this! There are many Gosnells still located in the Bathurst area to this day. If I could be of any help to you, I would certainly try! I was actually born in Bathurst, and my parents still live there. My mother is one of six children born to Charles Gosnell and Eliza Patterson. My grandfather died in 1984, and Nanny in 1987. Looking forward to hearing from you if you have further information on this family! Thanks once again.

Re: Re: Gosnells from Bathurst,New Brunswick

Posted: 13 Nov 2001 4:25AM GMT
Edited: 4 Jun 2006 10:55PM GMT
Here's part of what I have. Thomas Gosnell b. abt 1770 Sherkin Island, County Cork Ireland m. in 1803 Mary Wolfe b. 1786 in Baltimore, County Cork Ireland. They had 9 children, including Joseph Gosnell b. abt 1822, who must have been the father of your Charles Wesley Gosnell.

This family group was part of a larger family group that immigrated from County Cork Ireland to either Canada or Rochester New York, where my part of the family settled. See my email for other details.

Posted: 24 Nov 2001 1:52PM GMT
Edited: 4 Mar 2002 5:00AM GMT
hello, i'm not sure if we are related or not, but just wanted you to know that there is also a different race with the last name of gosnell I meet him in Indiana, a few years ago on the Miltary base. and he was no relations to me. Just that i would let you know a little info on that. My race is white, and my father is Clancy C Gosnell. thank you jo

Posted: 19 Jan 2008 5:00PM GMT
Surnames: Gosnell, Wolfe, Raitt, Grant, Murchie, Brown
I realise that I'm 7 years behind the times on the thread, but hopefully there are still some contacts around.
Thomas Gosnell and Mary Wolfe are my gr-gr-gr-gr-grandparents. My line comes from Ann Gosnell who married Joseph Alexander Raitt, their daughter Isabella Raitt married Abraham Grant, their daughter Sarah Annie Grant married John Murchie, their youngest daughter Charlotte Margaret married Norman Brown, and their son Archibald John Davidson Brown married Helen McCutcheon and they begat me!
The Murchies moved to Vancouver in about 1889 as their 4th child was born in 1890 in British Columbia. John Murchie is related to Murchies of the Bathurst area, but he was born on the Isle of Arran, Scotland.

Posted: 19 Jan 2008 7:59PM GMT
Surnames: Gosnell
Could you give some dates o about dates and places on the
Gosnell's?

If they are from Canadia; I problble can't help. If they were in the USA; I may can help.

Harold Gosnell

Posted: 19 Jan 2008 8:15PM GMT
Found the following on World Connect; part of rootsweb.com

: John GOSNELL b: 1720 in Gullane (Baronry of East Carberry) Ross Parish
Mother: Sarah SHEENAN b: 1807 in County Cork Ireland

Marriage 1 SARAH b: ABT 1750 in County Cork, Ireland

* Married: 1765 in Ireland

Children

1. Has Children Joseph GOSNELL Sr. b: 1766 in Sherkin Island, County Cork, Ireland
2. Has Children George GOSNELL b: 1768 in Sherkin Island, Co. Cork, Ireland
3. Has Children William GOSNELL b: 1769 in County Cork, Ireland c: 1788/1789
4. Has Children Thomas GOSNELL b: 1770 in Sherkin Island, County Cork, Ireland c: in Ballydehob, County Cork, Ireland
5. Has Children Lawrence GOSNELL b: 1773 in Sherkin Island, County Cork, England
6. Has Children Sarah GOSNELL b: 1777 in Sherkin Island, County Cork, Ireland
7. Has Children James Joseph GOSNELL b: 1779 in Sherkin Island, Kilcoe Parish, County Cork Ireland
8. Has Children John GOSNELL b: 1781 in Sherkin Island, County Cork, Ireland

I have no known connection:
Harold

Posted: 19 Jan 2008 8:17PM GMT
My Gosnells are in Canada - Bathurst, New Brunswick. I know that there is a branch from Thomas Gosnell (Thomas Gosnell and Mary Wolfe's son). For now I'm concentrating on the Canadian branches. Thank you for your offer of help.

Posted: 19 Jan 2008 8:18PM GMT
My Gosnells are in Canada - Bathurst, New Brunswick. I know that there is a branch from Thomas Gosnell (Thomas Gosnell and Mary Wolfe's son) that went to the US. A Gosnell in Ohio, I think it was, gave me a lot of information. For now I'm concentrating on the Canadian branches. Thank you for your offer of help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.