Search for content in message boards

Thomas MARSTON/Elizabeth MARRELL Worcester, England

Thomas MARSTON/Elizabeth MARRELL Worcester, England

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 7:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Researching Thomas MARSTON who married Elizabeth MARRELL about 1675, Worcester, England. Their children: Elizabeth, Mary Ann, Martha, William, Joseph, Benjamin.

Re: Thomas MARSTON/Elizabeth MARRELL Worcester, England

Posted: 11 Jul 2013 2:02PM GMT
Surnames: Marston, Marvel, Green
I have a Thomas Marston b. 1640 VA m. Elizabeth Marvel in VA. They had at least one dau., Elizabeth who m. Thomas (Abner?) Green III abt 1700. He was descended from Thomas "The Seagull" Green b. 1634.

Is the family you seek?

Re: Thomas MARSTON/Elizabeth MARRELL Worcester, England

Posted: 11 Jul 2013 2:39PM GMT
Many thanks, but no, mine is a different Thomas Marston who was born and lived his life in England.

Re: Thomas MARSTON, b. abt. 1640; of Virginia at time of death

Posted: 11 Jul 2013 9:42PM GMT
While I am not the person who posted the query about Thomas MARSTON born about 1640 in England, I am, nevertheless, attempting to learn what I can about the same one you are researching, the one who died in Virginia. I know that I am not one of his descendants, but my hope is to one day prove that he and I are distant cousins. All that I now know about your Thomas is that reportedly, he settled in Middlesex county, Virginia, where he died about 1682. I understand that his name appears in data maintained by the National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century, but I have found no evidence of this on-line or in any library.
I'd be very interested to know if you can tell me the source you have found that lists the name of his wife Elizabeth MARVEL and their daughter Elizabeth. What details, if any, does the source mention about his place of birth?

Thanks!
Dick Marston

P.S.: Do you believe in coincidences? I don't. Two Thomas MARSTONs b. abt. 1640: one marries an Elizabeth MARRELL while the other marries an Elizabeth MARVELL? What are the odds? I believe the odds are MUCH better that these "two Thomas'" are actually one and the same man, and at least one of the two spellings of Elizabeth's maiden name is wrong.

Posted: 11 Jul 2013 11:00PM GMT
I, too, would like to see the source for Thomas Marston marrying Elizabeth Marvel, if it's available. I don't have the source for my information, either, unfortunately, but have handed down information which shows the marriage to Elizabeth Marrell in England.

I suppose there is the remote possibility he may have had a wife in 2 countries, but I know he died in Worcester, Worcestershire, England, and that he had the following 6 children in Worcester, Worcestershire, England: Elizabeth b. 1682; Mary Ann b. abt 1684; Martha b. abt 1687; William b. abt 1690; Joseph b. abt. 1693; and Benjamin b. abt 1696.

His daughter Elizabeth, b. 1682, is my 6th gt. grandmother. She married Samuel Snell 3 Dec 1702 in Worcester, England. Their daughter Hannah b. 1723, St. Helens, Worcestershire, England, is my 5th gt. grandmother. She is also famous as a female soldier. Articles and books have been written about her. Check out http://www.hannahsnell.com/

Wouldn't a double life with lots of children in 2 countries have been unusual in those days? Would love to solve this mystery.
Anne

Posted: 12 Jul 2013 12:04AM GMT
Anne,
O.K., while "handed down information" is not considered as reliable source information, that doesn't mean it's wrong. It simply means that the truth of its asserted facts are unverified or not proven. But, for the sake of argument, let's assume the opposite, i.e., that it's absolute "gospel truth". In that case it is conclusive proof that your Thomas MARSTON of Worcester, England, is NOT the Thomas MARSTON who died in Virginia about 1682. That being said, however, while the two scenarios are mutually exclusive, so far we have no citation to any hard evidence or published genealogical research that supports the meager facts reported about either Thomas MARSTON. The mystery survives, and the search goes on.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.