Search for content in message boards

MAYCOCK family of Manchester

MAYCOCK family of Manchester

Marie Dawson (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Feb 2009 3:35PM GMT
Surnames: Maycock
I would appreciate hearing from anybody who has information regarding the Maycock family from Manchester. I think that they could have been a Jewish family around the middle of the 1800's. My father's name is Abraham Maycock and his father Abraham emigrated from Manchester England on or about 1920 and landed in Canada. He married Mary Taylor, whose brother was named George Taylor. George was a Barnardo child.

I would appreciate any information,

Thank you

Marie Dawson
mdaws54@hotmail.com

Re: Maycock family of Manchester

MARJORIE hOLMES (View posts)
Posted: 5 Dec 2002 10:29AM GMT
Edited: 26 May 2006 2:43PM GMT
Iknow this is a late reply but I have just come across your posting.
My grandmother was Sarah Maycock born in Manchester and the daughter of John Maycock and Ann Maycock (nee Abel) of Liverpool. Her brother was John and younger sister Maria who spent some time in the USA where she was on the stage. Her stage name I believe was Raye Forde. She should have travelled on the Lusitania from New York to Britain in 1915 but cancelled her passage. The ship was sunk on that voyage by enemy action.

I would love to hear from anyone who has any connection. Best wishes Marjorie in NZ

Posted: 19 Mar 2003 5:43AM GMT
Surnames: Maycock
I am also late in reviewing these messages. I am pa member of the Maycock/Mycock family from Stockport, Cheshire.

I saw your note and Nathaniel H. Maycock married a Harriet A.. They had a son Charles born in Liverpool 1854 and son William born in 1856. According to the 1881 British Census.

Nathaniel was born in Barbados, where this Maycock family lived, the earliest record was a marriage of a Thomas Maycock in 1667. See www.familysearch.org

Michelle Steet (View posts)
Posted: 16 Dec 2004 3:29AM GMT
Dear Kenneth,

My ggg grandmother was a Hannah Mycock. According to her death certificate she was born about 1821 in Stockport, Chesire, England. Her father was John Mycock, possibly a convict who came to Australia in 1823. Wondered if you might have any connection to your family of Mycock/Maycock? I have been unable to date to find a shipping record for Hannah's arrival in Australia but believe she arrived sometime between her birth in 1821 and the birth of her first child in 1842. She later married Thomas May in 1855, after having several children.

Regards
Michelle

Posted: 17 Dec 2004 4:35AM GMT
Edited: 26 May 2006 2:42PM GMT
I would probably think that we have an connection.

My gg grandfather is a James M(a)ycock born 1804/5 in Stockport, Cheshire. He had a number of daughters, one of which was named Hannah born in 1837/8 at Heaton Norris on the east side of Stockport. His first child was Alice born in Portwood, Stockport. Alice was married as a Mycock, it appears that they started calling themselves Maycock about this time (all were illiterate, so there was no definite spelling of the name)

The IGI records have some help to you:
John Mycock b. 01 Mar 1800, Christened on 16 Mar 1800 at St Mary's, Stockport His wife was Alice

Thomas Mycock b. 01 May 1803; Chris: 29 May 1803 at St Mary's Stockport ; Father Joseph Mycock, Mother Martha

There is also a William Maycock b. 1822/4 at Stockport, results of census.

The record's of St Paul's (Portwood) and the old Ancient Church of St Mary's are held at Stockport Archives, Central Library (Stockport).

Send me a direct e-mail (krmaycock@shaw.ca) with your email address and I will send you all of the family records that I have too date.

regards,

Byron McLeod (View posts)
Posted: 25 May 2006 6:10AM GMT
Surnames: Maycock, Abel
Hello Marjorie:
I realize that this reply comes almost 3 1/2 years after your original posting, but if you receive this, please reply. We may be connected. Was your grandmother Sarah Elizabeth Maycock, born May 27, 1873 in Ancoats, and married to a Boyle? I think she may be the oldest child of John Maycock & Ann Abel. I'm connected the the youngest child in this family - a son Joseph, born in 1890. I live near London, Ontario, Canada.
Thanks - Byron

Re: MAYCOCK family of Manchester

Posted: 5 Feb 2009 11:30PM GMT
Edited: 6 Feb 2009 3:40PM GMT
Surnames: Boyle ,Renshaw
Hi Byron
My family name is Boyle. My father's grandmother was a Sarah Elizabeth MAYCOCK who married Bernard Boyle on 27/2/1892 in Manchester, England. On census 1901 their children are John, Mary Alice & William (my grandfather).

Marriage Cert shows Sarah's father was John Maycock and believe Ann Abel was her mother's name. On the 1891 census John & Ann Maycock have 6 kids: William, Maria, Ellen, Angela, Mae, Joseph - Sarah not named but she would have been 18 and possibly working/boarding elsewhere.

John Maycock's father was William and mother Alice Renshaw.
William married a second time to Melvina/Amanda Davis and they emigrated to Utah in the 1870s.

I grew up in Manchester and now live in Hamilton, New Zealand. We'd be interested in hearing from you if you think this is the same family.
Many thanks, regards. Moira Boyle

Posted: 6 Feb 2009 12:10AM GMT
Edited: 6 Feb 2009 3:42PM GMT
Surnames: BOYLE , Renshaw, Davis
Hi Marjorie
My father's grandmother was Sarah Elizabeth MAYCOCK (born 1873 in M/chr Eng. Sarah married Bernard BOYLE in 1892.
Sarah's parents (named on her marriage cert) John & Anne Maycock. The 1881 Census shows children including Sarah & Maria but the 1891 Census doesn't include Sarah (she would be 18 and possibly working/boarding elsewhere).
Sarah had at least 3 children (C1901) John, Mary Alice & my grandfather William Boyle.
I believe John Maycock's mother was Alice Renshaw and his father William who married a second time (Amanda Melvina Davis) and emigrated to Utah in the 1870s.
Are you related to John or Maria?
I grew up in Manchester but currently live in Hamilton NZ
Thanks, Moira Boyel

Posted: 17 Nov 2009 9:17AM GMT
Edited: 17 Nov 2009 2:22PM GMT
Hi Byron
Have tried to contact you before - just wondering if you're still searching info on Maycock/Abel family?

Regards
e-mail: lloyd-moira@slingshot.co.nz
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.