Search for content in message boards

Looking for info. on Grays in Virginia

Looking for info. on Grays in Virginia

Posted: 28 Jan 2001 1:23PM GMT
Edited: 5 Feb 2005 4:50PM GMT
I've been researching the Grays in Virginia and haven't been able to get any further than John Gray, born abt. 1805. I'm not sure where he was born, but I know he married Susan Shuteman/Shootman/Shoopman in Botetourt County, Virginia and his son William was born in Botetourt County in 1837. He later moved to Montgomery County, Virginia where I found him in the 1850 Census.
John Gray is such a common name I'm really having a problem getting any further on this line. If anyone has any information, please contact me.
Thank you!
Amy
amy_ilene@yahoo.com

Grays in VA

Posted: 15 Feb 2001 1:46PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 2:18AM GMT
I have located my relatives in Isle of Wight, VA.in the 1900 ans 1910 census. They are R.J. and Mary E. Gray. Mary's maiden name was Murray. They had 4 children; Bruce, John, Lillian and May. Is there a connection?

Re: Grays in VA

Posted: 22 Jun 2001 9:47PM GMT
Surnames: GRAY
If your Grays were in Isle of Wight, Virginia, it is most likely that they descended from Thomas Gray, Ancient Planter, of Surry County, VA. You should look at pp. 339 - 345 of the book, ADVENTURERS of PURSE and PERSON 1607 - 1624/5, Volume THREE (Richmond, VA: Order of the First Families of Virginia, 1987). This book chronicles four or five generations of some of the earliest Virginians. It is fully documented.

Posted: 23 Jun 2001 2:19AM GMT
Amy,

Thank you so much for your reply and advice. I will look up that book ASAP.

Nancy

Posted: 23 Jun 2001 4:05AM GMT
Surnames: GRAY
My Gray line is Thomas Gray, Ancient Planter; William Gray; William Gray; Thomas Gray; Thomas Gray; etc. Thomas had two sons named William...I am descended from the second William, who married Elizabeth Jarrett. His mother was Thomas' 4th wife.

If you can't connect to this Gray family, I have another Gray line, which descended from Francis Gray in Maryland. His wife was Alice Moorman, and he moved to Westmoreland County, VA in 1647. There has been a great deal written about this family, also. I will be glad to help you if you can get back to either of these men.

Re: Looking for info. on Grays in Virginia

Posted: 23 Jul 2001 4:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Oct 2009 7:17PM GMT
Surnames: Gray, Shutman, Johnston, Eddy
Amy,
All I can find on your Grays is the marriage record in
Botetourt County for John Gray who married
Susan Ann Shutman on 17MAR1830. She was the
dau of Nicholas Shutman and the bondsman was
Thomas Johnston and wit was Samuel Eddy. I can give
you a list of the other Gray men and women who married
in the county if you wish. Let me know at
GSHuff63@aol.com.

Sue in Craig

Jim Eshom (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2001 4:37AM GMT
In the book Early Virginia Immigrants 1623-1666, there is mention of a William Gray. He arrived Virginia 1652 on the barque Mayflower "not the original" his passage was paid for by Thomas Teakle. My 7th Great Grandfather was a fellow passenger, his name was Daniel Esham. I have been trying to find his place of birth in England and his parents.
My e-mail addres is jimesh@aol.com if you would like to contact me, by the way they embarked at county of northampton on the Eastern shore VA.

Posted: 8 Jan 2002 2:31AM GMT
Edited: 28 Aug 2002 1:18PM GMT
Surnames: Gray
Anita,

I am of the Gray line from Thom (Surry Co. planter)>Wm>Wm>Thom>Thom>Clinch>John Larkin Gray. I saw your posting on"Adventurers of Purse and Persons" The only information I have right now beyond John Larkin is sketchy. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce Constant

Posted: 8 Jan 2002 3:40AM GMT
Edited: 19 Oct 2009 7:17PM GMT
Surnames: Gray
I can help you. Let me know exactly what you are working on, and how I can fill in the blanks.

Anita (View posts)
Posted: 3 Feb 2002 3:19AM GMT
Looking for Haywood Gray, supposed to be from Tazwell. Worked on Hwy 80 in KY around 1931-32.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.