Search for content in message boards

BURWELLS OF VIRGINIA

BURWELLS OF VIRGINIA

Kathleen Levens (View posts)
Posted: 29 Dec 2003 8:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
We are most interested in obtaining information about the Burwell family in Virginia. If anyone has information, we would love for you to join our private site, the Descendants of Robert King Carter. Please email me at kjlevens@yahoo.com for an invitation.

Elizabeth Carter, daughter of Robert Carter and Judith Armistead, married first Nathaniel Burwell. They had a large number of children, of whom ONLY Carter Burwell is listed in the book, The Carter Tree. None of his older sisters were listed.

Also, later a Burwell married ia descendant of Robert Carter, through his daughter Ann who married Benjamin Harrison IV. These were Burwells of Mecklenburg Co.

Your help would be appreciated.

Kathy Levens

We would be happy to have all who want to join our site.

Re: BURWELLS OF VIRGINIA

Rosalie (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2004 1:37AM GMT
Surnames: Burwell - Morgan- Davies(Davis)
Have you checked with The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation? I got a Burwell chart that starts with Robert Carter, b.1663, to Philip Lewis Carter Burwell, b. 1817. My mother was a Burwell, but can`t find her father`s parents. There is also a Burwell Cemetary and a Burwell-Morgan Mill in VA. The maternal side of my mother is Morgan. Hope this helps you some. Rosalie

Posted: 7 Jun 2004 4:56AM GMT
Thank you for your kind response. No, I have not checked with Colonial Williamsburg. Should you wish to join our site, please email me directly at kjlevens@yahoo.com for an invitation to our private site.

If your family is descended from Carter Burwell I may have some information as that is the line of descent our site is researching.

KJL

Rosalie Harris (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jun 2004 1:07AM GMT
Surnames: B
Thank you for the invitation to join your site. I haven`t been able to connect with the Burwells in VA, yet, but the lady at the Burwell-Morgan Mill, said that my Burwells were probably the ones who traveled west. I would like to join your site, though if it`s ok, since I haven`t been able to connect with the Virginia Burwells. They have a film to view at the mill. I found out that Burwell was also pronounced, Burrell. Thank you, Rosalie

RLH (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jun 2004 1:17AM GMT
Surnames: Burwell - Morgan- Davies(Davis)
Thank you for the invitation to join your site. I haven`t been able to connect with the Burwells in VA, but the lady at the mill said that my Burwells were probably the ones that went west. She also showed a film about the mill and I found that the name Burwell was also pronounced Burrell. It`s a very interesting place and they still grind at the mill once in a while, then sell the ground grain. The cemetary has very old graves of the Burwell`s as well as a few newer stones. Some were buried, above ground?? The stones are a rectangle box with a lid, sitting on top of the ground, with the names and dates on the lid. All is made of slabs of something. The letters are really getting badly worn. I`m hoping to go there again as pictures I took, didn`t turn out well. I`m not sure if I would be able to join your group, though, since I can`t connect with your Burwells. Thank you for asking, though. RLH

Posted: 15 Jun 2004 2:41AM GMT
Edited: 7 Aug 2006 3:23AM GMT
Surnames: Burwell, Woodington, Higginson, Bedell
I know of Burwells in Virginia though only one of my direct Burwell ancestors actually lived there. Edward Burwell was born in Ampthill, Bedford, England in 1575 He died in Accawmache, Virginia. He married Dorothy Bedell. Their children were:

i. Elizabeth Burwell born and died in England
ii. Edward Burwell born and died in England
iii. Dorothy Burwell born England married John Woodington in Jamestown, VA
iv. George Burwell born in England
v. Edward Burwell born in England
vi. Lewis Burwell born in England died in Gloucester VA mr: Lucy Higginson

Stacey

Posted: 15 Jun 2004 2:56AM GMT
Stacey, I am interested in hearing more about this. Please email me at kjlevens@yahoo.com. I will be back on line on 24 June 2004, Thanks,

Posted: 22 Sep 2004 5:24AM GMT
Edited: 28 Oct 2004 5:14AM GMT
Surnames: Sturdivant, Hallom, Price, Lewllyn, Mathews, Woodward, Harp, & Smith
I know of a Charles Sturdivant Burwell. His middle name is my original surname. My main ancestor was John Sturdivant and there has been at 1 in each family group. My great-grandfather was the first I came across.

Posted: 24 Sep 2004 3:11PM GMT
Surnames: Carter, Page, Burwell, Nicholas, Randolph, plus more...
I have heard of the middle name in any of our Burwell searches. Our Burwells came from England and were one of the First Families of Virginia beginning in the 1600s. They were well-to-do by the standards of that time. They had land, slaves, and many plantations which were handed down through the generations. Have you done any research on this family?

Nancy Studyvin-Warren (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2004 4:50AM GMT
I thank you for your kind reply and will go through my 20+ years of research and most of that was pre-net.

Thanks again
Nancy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.