Search for content in message boards

Olmstead Family

Olmstead Family

Posted: 4 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Oct 2002 2:36AM GMT
Surnames: Olmstead
Does anyone know; have history on; or know somebody who does, on Francis Olmstead Born July 18,1821, died March 8, 1883. He married Susan C. Maner Dec. 23, 1846 in Screven County, GA. She was daughter of George Maner and Charlotte Mock. Francis and Susan had nine children; Henry Roger Olmstead; William Francis Olmstead; Anna Maner Olmstead; Percival Olmstead; Maner Collins Olmstead; Charlotte Victoria Olmstead; Claudius Francis Olmstead; James Fabian Olmstead; and Mary Arabella Olmstead. All born between 1849 and 1868, and as known all were born in Screven County, Ga.
Does anyone know where Francis and his wife are buried. He died in Eden, Ga., and she died in Savannah, Ga. Does anyone have any history of them when they lived in Screven County, Ga.? I believe he was in the Confederate Army at one time. His dad was Roger Olmstead from Savannah, Ga. and Connecticut. Please respond.
Lewis Taylor

Re: Olmstead Family

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 6:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Olmstead, Maner
I have a little information on Francis and Susan Maner Olmstead. Her father George Henry Maner is my husband's GGG grandfather.
The most interesting thing I have found on Francis and Susan is the claim she filed in 1872 with US Southern Claims Commission. The entire claim is on Ancestry as "US Southern Claims Commission, Disallowed and Barred Claims 1871-1880". Francis' deposition is rambling but very interesting about his time in CSA army, also the account of Sherman's army's raid on their farm, and the relationship between Susan and her family.
I do not know where Susan is buried. There is a Maner plot in Laurel Grove Cemetery in Savannah but she is not there. I have been trying to find out where other Maner family members are buried in Screven County. There was a burial plot on family land, now destroyed, but not sure who was buried there.
Would love to have more info if you have it.
Ann Maner
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.