Search for content in message boards

Fibbin/Phibbin/Phibben of Somerset

Fibbin/Phibbin/Phibben of Somerset

Posted: 30 Sep 2003 1:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Mar 2009 9:42PM GMT
Surnames: Fibbin,Phibbin,Phibben,Phillips
I am looking for further information on the following families found in the 1851 Census for South Cadbury, Somerset:

Mary Fibbin, head, unmarried, 55, washerwoman, born South Cadbury, Somerset
Charles Fibbin, son, unmarried, 25, agricultural labourer, born South Cadbury, Somerset
Elias Fibbin. Son, unmarried, 17, masons labourer, born South Cadbury, Somerset

William Fibbin, head, married, 57, agricultural labourer, born South Cadbury, Somerset
Sarah Fibbin, wife, married, 60, born Marston Magna, Somerset

Charles Fibbin went on to marry Jane Phillips of Compton Pauncefoot.

The family name seems to have changed over the years from Fibbin to Phibbin then Phibben. Fibbin seems to be an Irish name.

Ron Wells, Wainuiomata, Lower Hutt, New Zealand

Re: Fibbin/Phibbin/Phibben of Somerset

Posted: 14 Sep 2004 5:57AM GMT
Edited: 1 Mar 2009 9:43PM GMT
Surnames: Phibben,Fibben,Phibben,Vibben
Hi

My family originate from Charles Phibben/Fibben/Phibbin (like you say - the name is prone to change!)

His son Eli was my Great great Grandfather. I haven't had much joy going further back than Mary either. In the 1841 census data, There was a Mary - wait for it....VIBBIN! Just down the road from Charles in the 1861 Census.

In the 1841 census there are 2 Vibbin households next to each other.

Mary was a labour (Marked as age 40, but bearing in mind that they rounder down ages in general, so it could be the same 55 year old washer woman????) - as also living in the same household with her:---

Mary - 20
Charles 15
Taphia???? - 12 and
Elias - 6

Then next household

William Vibbin 45 -(or could be 65!!! bad text)
Jonah Vibbin 43

Posted: 1 Mar 2009 3:36PM GMT
well I have a Ellen Fibbin born approx 1831 (fibbin on her marriage cert, Filbin/Filben on other censuses)Her father being a Thomas Fibbin, her mother a Jane Filben

they are in Wolverhampton 1851/61 then she married my great great grandad William Monaghan he died in 1864 then she re married a James Geraghty in 1870

in 1851 61 71 her mother Jane is also living with her

all i know of where they are from is that the family is from Mayo

Posted: 12 Aug 2009 8:37PM GMT
my friends grandfather was Eli Phibben born 1913 In the UK. Could there be a connection with Eli Phibben born earlier in the 1800s, as the name is rather unusual. Her father is David Phibben born about 1944, and lives in Wales Uk

Posted: 12 Jul 2010 8:40PM GMT
Surnames: Fibben, Phibben
Hi, just reviewing my family history, and came across your info on this site. I have Fibben/Phibben ancestry as well, and was suprised to find that some of your info linked with mine.

My great-grandfather is Eli Phibben born 1861, he lived with his somewhat large family in Wiltshire for a while after leaving Somerset, and then headed down to Wales. He lived in Aberdare, Glamorgan until he died in 1911.

I managed to trace back to his Parents through the censuses, and have found his family on some of the censuses. His parents were Charles and Jane Fibben. Though Charles seems to have died young, at least before 1871 according to the censuses, and Jane was left to bring up the family herself.

Would like to exchange info with you if you have any. I am still researching, and am still looking into Charles' parentage.

Please can you answer me on my email address, as i do not get onto this website very often.

Posted: 14 Jul 2010 1:39AM GMT
Attached are 2 'sample images' for debrawilcox148 and anyone else that may be interested.
Attachments:

Posted: 14 Jul 2010 2:29AM GMT
Surnames: Phibbens
Debra

My maternal great grandfather Frederick was Eli Phibben's brother grandfather. I have quite a bit of info on our Phibben ancestors if you me to send it to you via E-mail if you send me your e-mail address, which was not on the Ancestry.Com message

Regards
Ron Wells
MIddle Earth
New Zealand

Posted: 10 Aug 2010 5:34PM GMT
hello i would be very greatful for any infor you can send me and if i can be of any help to you please dont hesitate to ask my email address is debra.wilcox@hotmail.co.uk

kind regards

Debs

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 7:50PM GMT
This post was deleted by a board administrator on 29 Mar 2011 8:49PM GMT

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 7:52PM GMT
My paternal great grandfather was william Eli phibben married to Mary they were cousins and I believe links to your family tree my Family would love any info you have, that goes further back, we know they have moved between somerset wiltshire (DILTON MARSH) AND WALES. there are still distant cousins there, please forward anything you have and we will see if we have anything to add many thanks my email is dawn.phibben@blueyonder.co.uk
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.