Search for content in message boards

Fletchers - IN and IL

Fletchers - IN and IL

Posted: 16 Jun 2013 1:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Fletcher
Hello there, I am just getting back into researching my family history after a failed computer lost pretty much everything and many years of not working on it at all. I am from the group of Fletcher's who came from England in the mid 1800's and settled first in Indiana and then into southern Illinois. I have run into a brick wall with my great, great grandfather, David Fletcher and am hoping someone out there has some information or can point me in the right direction. Here is what I know of David:
b. 1829-1831 England (though not sure where in England)
He supposedly came as a stowaway from England to the US, landing in New York. Took him a year to get to Gibson County, IN.
m. Sarah Ann Douglas on Jan 16, 1862 in Gibson County, IN(1840-1904)
Later moved to Wabash County, IL
d. Jan 8, 1890 and is buried at Gards Point Cemetary
They had four children:
Amanda E. (b. 1865)
Mary A. (b. 1867)
John Oscar (1870-1932) (my great grandfather)
Lee A. (b. 1873)

Any information at all would be most helpful. I originally thought his parents were John Fletcher and Alice Hartwell, but the census data doesn't seem to add up for that. Thanks in advance and I'm willing to provide any information I can on this branch of the family as well.

Jason Fletcher

Re: Fletchers - IN and IL

Posted: 16 Jun 2013 12:26PM GMT
Good morning. I find both David and Sarah buried in Nye Chapel Cemetery in Gards Point.

I first find David in 1860 Johnson, Gibson, IN. He was 26, born in England and living with the Edwin C Borin family.

In 1870 Lick Prairie, Wabash, IL [PO Gards Point], David is 35. Wife Lucinda is 28 with Amanda 5, Mary 3 and John 1/2. All listed as born in IL.

1880 Dixon,, Edwards, IL, has David 50, England, Sarah A 35 IN KY KY, Amanda E 15, IN, Mary A 13, IN, John O 9, IL and Lee A 7, IL.

1900 Friendsville, Wabash, IL has Sarah A 63, widow, born Apr 1837. Had 5 children with 3 still living. She was living with daughter Mary A and family. The transcription says Edwin A Baker as husband. I cannot read the original record and I find no records for this family. They had been married for 7 years. Mary had 3 children with all 3 still living. Edwin had to have been married before as there was an older son listed. Thomas E 16, Bertha M 6, Fanny B 3 and Florence A 10/12.

David Fletcher was in the Civil War. His pension application is dated 2 Nov 1883. Application # 498.997 and certificate # 359.209 for IL. Sarah's widow's application # 414800 and certificate # 267897 dated 15 Feb 1890. These records might give you more information.

Molly

Posted: 16 Jun 2013 1:52PM GMT
Molly, good morning and thanks for the quick reply. Most of this information I have been able to track down though I didn't have the 1900 census info yet so I appreciate that. Unfortunately none of it gets me back to David Fletcher's parents in England. I spoke with my mother last night and she at one point had gotten a copy of the marriage license for David and Sarah A. from the Gibson County, IN court house. It only confirms what I already know regarding the marriage date, there's no other useful information on it. :( I was hoping for at least names of parents. She also told me about a book she has a copy of written by Oma Fletcher Spencer Benner that speaks of David and Sarah (they were her grandparents) and one of David's sisters named Alice who would come occasionally from England to visit..... so I guess Alice is my next clue.

Posted: 16 Jun 2013 2:07PM GMT
I went into familysearch and the death record for Mary Ann Fletcher Baker [10 Jun 1940] says father David was born in London, England.

Collateral lines might have information. Mary Ann married Albert Edwin Baker, s/o John Youngblood Baker and Nancy Barton, s/o Thomas Baker and Margaret Youngblood.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.