Search for content in message boards

Joseph Seeley, born in Connecticut about 1760-1770.

Joseph Seeley, born in Connecticut about 1760-1770.

Posted: 5 Jul 2003 11:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Apr 2004 8:55PM GMT
Hi
Does anybody know anything about the parents of Joseph Seeley (or Seely), born in Connecticut, probably about 1760-1770? He married Elizabeth Haines in New York about 1794.
W.K. Seely

Re: Joseph Seeley, born in Connecticut about 1760-1770.

Posted: 12 Jul 2003 9:15PM GMT
Edited: 11 Nov 2003 2:07AM GMT
Surnames: Seeley's
Have a Joseph who married Mary Goodwin then Sarah Squire then Rebecca Stanford. Joseph was born in Fairfield Connecticut 1659/1660 died Feb.4 1709

Posted: 13 Jul 2003 4:34AM GMT
Edited: 26 Apr 2004 8:55PM GMT
Hi Butch

Thanks very much for your reply. The Joseph Seely I am looking for is quite a bit later, about 1760. I wouldn’t be surprised if your Joseph was an ancestor of his, though, as mine was probably also from Fairfield, Conn.

Bill Seely

Posted: 15 Feb 2004 8:44PM GMT
Edited: 2 Dec 2004 11:46PM GMT
Surnames: Seeley, Jackson, Goodwin?
I have a Joseph Seeley, appears to be the same person you were talking about, but I have a problem. According to the records that I have Joseph Seeley had 13 different wives (Most of them have the same name but different spellings). I think there was a mistake when merging files. Could you send me all the information you have on him and his family?

Joseph Seeley and Mary Goodwin Jackson?

Thanks,
David Mulder

Posted: 30 Oct 2004 2:35PM GMT
Surnames: Seeley, Hall, Osborn, Jackson & Canfield
David - did you ever have any luck with the information for Joseph Seeley? I have him as my 1st cousin removed 8 times. His parents were Nathaniel Seeley & Mary Turney. Born 1659 in Fairfield - Died 9/16/1732 at Cecil Maryland.
Children were Ephraim and Samuel. My source was The History of Fairfield, Elizabeth Hubbell Schenck. I would like to see what you have on Joseph.

Posted: 2 Nov 2004 12:38AM GMT
Edited: 2 Dec 2004 11:46PM GMT
Surnames: Seeley/Seelie
Joseph Seeley
b. 1659/1660 - Fairfield, Fairfield, Connecticut
d. 16 Sep 1732 - Stratford, Fairfield, Connecticut
Spouses -
Margaret Seeley - m. Abt 1666
Mary Goodwin Jackson - m. Abt 1681
Sarah Squire - m. Abt 1685
Mary - m. Abt 1689
Rebecca Sanford - m. Abt 1691

I don't have any children recorded.

Parents of Joseph Seeley -
Captian Nathaniel Seeley
b. 16 Sep 1627 - St Stephen Cole, London, London, England.
d. 19 Dec 1678 - (Killed) Swamp War - Kingston, Rhode Island.
Mary Turney
b. 18 Sep 1631 - Hollingdon, Soulbury, Buckinghamshire, England
d. 19 Dec 1675 - Fairfield, Fairfield, Connecticut

The Seeley line that I have goes back 5 generations from Joseph and ends at William Seelie b. 1513.
Let me know if you think I have something your looking for.
I don't know how accurate this record is and I may have even more on paper than I do on computer. My Great Grandmother collected this information and she died about 10 years ago.

Mulder,

Posted: 11 Jun 2008 1:42AM GMT
Surnames: Seeley
What is your source for Nathaniel Seeley's death "d. 19 Dec 1678 - (Killed) Swamp War - Kingston, Rhode Island" and Mary Turney Seeley's death "d. 19 Dec 1675 - Fairfield, Fairfield, Connecticut"?
Thank you.

Posted: 11 Jun 2008 11:27PM GMT
Here is what I have on Nathaniel Seeley. I don't have any info on Mary Turney's death.

In 1675 he was commisioned as Lt. of Fairfield troops in King Philip's War and was killed Dec. 19, 1675, in the Great Swamp Fight, while gallantly leading his men over the gnarled log or tree at the entrance to the Indian fort.

Seeley was mortally wounded by a renegade Englishman named Tift. Tift had previously been a member of the Colonial Army but after being justly punished for some crime, and had deserted the Colonial Army, and fled to the enemy, by whom he was well received, and led some of their forces in the Swamp Fight.

Tift was soon taken prisoner. His gun was found to be loaded with slugstones. He was tried before a council of war, and condemned to be hanged and quartered.

The History of Fairfield. Elizabeth Hubbell Schenck 1889.

His father Capt. Robert Seeley was a large land owner in the various towns which he helped to organize, but his son, Nathaniel confined his holdings to the locality of Fairfield, Stratford and Stratfield.

During this period there was an imaginary boundry between Fairfield and Stratford. This line is now Park Ave. in Bridgeport. East of this line was the town of Stratford, while Fairfield lay to the west. The inhabitants of the section to the north combined both part of Fairfield and Stratford, extending from Long Island Sound, north, and called this new parish Stratfield, where they established a new and more convenient Church, which is now known as the First Church of Bridgeport.

In these three towns, Nathaniel had large holdings, and this land is now covered by the City of Bridgeport, and the suburbs to the north.

To form some idea of the extent of his land, and taking present landmarks, it would be bounded on the west by Fairfield Creek and the Black Rock Turnpike, to Sport Hill and Easton; on the north by the road to Tashua, Long Hill and Trumbull; and on the south; along North Avenue and the "Old Post Road" to Fairfield.

The Saga of The Seeleys from Southern New Jersey to Illinois and Texas, Mary Henrietta Chase 1961

Posted: 11 Jun 2008 11:27PM GMT
Here is what I have on Nathaniel Seeley. I don't have any info on Mary Turney's death.

In 1675 he was commisioned as Lt. of Fairfield troops in King Philip's War and was killed Dec. 19, 1675, in the Great Swamp Fight, while gallantly leading his men over the gnarled log or tree at the entrance to the Indian fort.

Seeley was mortally wounded by a renegade Englishman named Tift. Tift had previously been a member of the Colonial Army but after being justly punished for some crime, and had deserted the Colonial Army, and fled to the enemy, by whom he was well received, and led some of their forces in the Swamp Fight.

Tift was soon taken prisoner. His gun was found to be loaded with slugstones. He was tried before a council of war, and condemned to be hanged and quartered.

The History of Fairfield. Elizabeth Hubbell Schenck 1889.

His father Capt. Robert Seeley was a large land owner in the various towns which he helped to organize, but his son, Nathaniel confined his holdings to the locality of Fairfield, Stratford and Stratfield.

During this period there was an imaginary boundry between Fairfield and Stratford. This line is now Park Ave. in Bridgeport. East of this line was the town of Stratford, while Fairfield lay to the west. The inhabitants of the section to the north combined both part of Fairfield and Stratford, extending from Long Island Sound, north, and called this new parish Stratfield, where they established a new and more convenient Church, which is now known as the First Church of Bridgeport.

In these three towns, Nathaniel had large holdings, and this land is now covered by the City of Bridgeport, and the suburbs to the north.

To form some idea of the extent of his land, and taking present landmarks, it would be bounded on the west by Fairfield Creek and the Black Rock Turnpike, to Sport Hill and Easton; on the north by the road to Tashua, Long Hill and Trumbull; and on the south; along North Avenue and the "Old Post Road" to Fairfield.

The Saga of The Seeleys from Southern New Jersey to Illinois and Texas, Mary Henrietta Chase 1961

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.