Search for content in message boards

Becketts in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Texas

Becketts in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Texas

William Beckett (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2001 5:39PM GMT
Surnames: Beckett
I'm looking for information on the Beckett family of Fayette County, Pennsylvania. Specifically, Samuel Beckett, who, appears in the 1800 and 1810 censuses of Washington Township, Fayette County, PA. I'm looking for more information on his origins, ancestors, and descendents; or those of any other Becketts in southwestern Pennsylvania and Virginia in the late Colonial and early Federal eras.

Re: Becketts in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Texas

Posted: 17 Aug 2001 4:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Apr 2002 6:02PM GMT
Hello William,
The Beckett's in my family are all from Fayette. Stephen Beckett married Elizabeth Koontz in 1835. Their two sons: Samuel born in 1837 married Sarah Zearing. Andrew Jackson born in 1840 died 1901, married to Rachel Braden in 1865. Their son Samuel S. Beckett (my grandfather) born in 1873 died in 1949. My father Charles B. Beckett born in 1921 died in 1992. Do any of these names connect to your family? Would like any info you have on the Becketts in Fayette. Thank-you Renee

Posted: 18 Aug 2001 2:42PM GMT
Thanks for your message. All I know about my Fayette County Becketts is that my great grandfather, Henry Host Beckett, was born in Fayette Co. in 1803. That information comes from the 1840 census of Harrison Co., Ohio. After that it's guesswork. For example: in the 1800 and 1810 censuses of Fayette Co., Washington Township, there appears a Samuel Beckett as well as a Henry Host. I think it's a good bet that Samuel is H. H. Beckett's father and Henry Host is clearly his namesake. That's all I know about my Becketts in Fayette Co., except that family tradition has it we originated in Virginia. So presumably that's where they were before they came to Pennsylvania; many early settlers of Southwestern Pennsylvania were Virginians, I gather. But from 1803 onwards I can trace us to the present with certainty. My line is Henry Host Beckett, his son William K(C)arr Beckett, then Thomas Anderson Beckett, Sr., next Thomas Anderson Beckett, Jr., and Me. (Plus a whole bunch of brothers, sisters, cousins, etc. along the way.) William Karr Beckett., b. 1834 Steubenville, Ohio, left Ohio about the time of the Civil War for Iowa where he resided for a few years. He removed to Travis County, Texas around 1867 and we've been there ever since.

Posted: 18 Aug 2001 2:53PM GMT
P.S. Correction, Henry Host Beckett is my great GREAT grandfather.

Re: Becketts and names

Posted: 21 Sep 2001 9:34PM GMT
Edited: 10 May 2005 11:40AM GMT
Renee
I have no information for you - but I was so struck by some of the names in your family and my UK one.
I have a cousin and an Aunt (who died in infancy) called Renee - my Grandfather Willie Beckett father was called Sam as was Sams father (2 Sams in a row) - but none of them were ever in USA. IT just goes to show some names just fit together.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.