Search for content in message boards

"Dead" Board and Mailing List?

"Dead" Board and Mailing List?

Posted: 21 Apr 2010 4:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hey, Gang,

Now I KNOW that genealogy isn't a full-time occupation for most, if not all, of you and that postings to the Melson board and mailing list are going to reflect that.

I'm concerned, though, that both seem to have died or to be dieing a silent death. Since October of last year (2009), there have been only a half-dozen posts to the board - most of 'em mine - and none to the mailing list that weren't gatewayed from the board. Don't tell me that there are no more Melsons to research or that you've dug out all there is to be found on your Melsons or Melsons in general. Don't tell me that there are no Melson males out in the wild who've done the YDNA test and are willing to compare results with others.

I'm not a rah-rah type, so I'm not going to cheerlead here. But, surely, there are questions you want to ask, information you'd like to share, points you'd like to make WRT the Melson name and the various Melson families that exist or have existed.

Regards to you all.

Bob Melson
(semi-unemployed Melson board admin; researching James Guinn Melson (1770s-1840), his ancestors and descendants)

Re: "Dead" Board and Mailing List?

Posted: 21 Apr 2010 6:13PM GMT
wow!I did not even know there was a Melson YDNA test.My husband is a male Melson with his roots in Denmark with a Melsen/Melson spelling.Some of his lines spell it Melsen and his line spells it Melson.He descends from Lars Melson born near Hjorring Denmark.We do have quite alot of information and would be glad to share.Lavern in Washington State

Posted: 21 Apr 2010 7:46PM GMT
Lavern,

So far as I know, there's no _formal_ Melson DNA test or group. It's a matter of individual testing and sharing of results. I have a Melson group on Ancestry-DNA, but that scarcely qualifies and is really a place for results to be shared.

While I'm somewhat skeptical of the value of DNA testing overall, it can't hurt and, who knows, might reveal hidden connections between the various Melson tribes.

Bob Melson

Posted: 6 Dec 2010 3:59PM GMT
Surnames: Melson
After meeting my bith family (Melsons of Moulton, AL), do you think that part of the reason that some of the Melsons have not come forward with the DNA testing is because they don't have the financial means nor education to do so? Most of my immediate Melson family didn't even own computers in their homes. When I went back to Moulton this past May I really couldn't gain much "personal" information from the Melson family regarding pictures, stories, heritage, etc. The family was so large and not all of the Melson family was very close. Supposedly, there is a "good" set and a "bad" set. I, unfortunately, belong to the "bad" set. I would think that all of the Melsons of AL/GA/TN/NC/VA would have to be inter-related as the Melson surname is not a common one.

Posted: 6 Dec 2010 4:57PM GMT
Wellllllll, I dunno.

Regarding the board, up until about 9/09 the board was fairly active, with a number of threads and exchanges ongoing. So there are/were folks out in the wild with computers interested in the Melson tribe in its various manifestations.
So far as I know, they're _still_ out there and still interested, but are no longer posting to this board - which is a pity.

DNA testing. While I don't think DNA testing is the answer to every problem or the key to every puzzle, it can be useful and I'm surprised that I seem to be the only Melson anywhere to have had the tests done and to be willing to share results. Yeah, testing can be expensive, but prices are dropping and the various labs are offering "specials" on their tests that make them more affordable. My own preference is GeneTree/Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation, but almost any other lab will do. (As a sign of the times, many labs are now offering "autosomal" testing, which is, in effect, all the stuff between the paternal and maternal sides of the "tree". My own suspicion is that test kit sales, thus revenues, have fallen and they have to have something new to sell and this is it, even though the technology is still immature. Call me cynical.)

Anyway, while I agree that some of the silence is a result of folks being computer-less, that really doesn't count because they've always been there and have never been participants on the bord/internet. The folks who were active seem to have fallen away and I'm still a mostly unemployed board administrator for this board.

Bob Melson

Posted: 6 Dec 2010 5:17PM GMT
Surnames: Melson
I unfortunately found my birth family a little too late. Most of the Melson family that was my birth family are now deceased and there are only a few remaining siblings of Clyde Melson. A couple of the ones I did meet are in really bad health. So, my guess that some of the people that had been posting to this site have either passed on or have given up due to finding the information they were seeking or because they couldn't gain any more information that they already had.

I only met one surviving brother (Dewey) of Clyde Melson, though two of my half brothers are also still living (Clyde is also their father). I am pretty sure that none of them would be willing to submit DNA, even if they could afford it.

Posted: 7 Dec 2010 12:05PM GMT
Surnames: Melson, Corley, Dawson, Shell, Parsons, Cannon
I am still here. Some of the mailing lists I subscribe to periodically have a "roll call" to get members to check in that they're still on the list, but for whatever reason they aren't posting now. When the economy took a downturn, since my husband and I own a retail store, we had to lay off half our employees and for over a year we worked at the store six days a week then on Sundays after church, did payroll, planned advertising, etc. That hasn't left much time for anything else. Throw in a couple of ill and dying parents, children getting married, babies, and you've got your hands full! Our business has improved and hopefully I'll get back to genealogy soon!!

Posted: 7 Dec 2010 5:03PM GMT
Hi, MGG - glad to see you back. Sorry to hear of your economy-related woes, tho' I suspect they're not unusual in today's world. Hope things get back on track for y'all. We'll all be looking forward to hearing from you again.

Bob Melson

Posted: 8 Dec 2010 2:00PM GMT
Good to see you back, Middlegeorgiagenie :-)

Posted: 8 Dec 2010 2:42PM GMT
You are missing a big segment of any family . . those who just don't care.

I have many relatives who are interested in anything I find but are not interested in participating in a DNA test or doing any research of their own.

Jean
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.