Search for content in message boards

Daniel Webster Majors & Siblings & Ancestors

Daniel Webster Majors & Siblings & Ancestors

Mary Farnk Majors Wills (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jun 2005 12:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 May 2006 12:54AM GMT
Surnames: Majors
I am writing once again for any information anyone will share. My Father has terminal renal cancer and he has always wanted to know more about our Majors ancestry,but I do not have time to search for. He was given 6 months to 1 year in March. Since then he has been getting worse and worse. Now he does not leave the house. Please shar with us. Where did we come from, do we have a Revolutionary war person? Anything, please.
Mary Frank

Re: Daniel Webster Majors & Siblings & Ancestors

Posted: 14 Jun 2005 7:34PM GMT
Edited: 7 May 2006 12:48AM GMT
Surnames: Magers, Majors, Devore, Slider
My GGreatfather was a Daniel Magers/Majors the eldest son of Joseph Magers and Hannah Devore. I do not know if Daniel's middle name was Webster or not. I have this Magers/Majors line tracked back to 1703 in Maryland to Peter Magers/Majors I and his wife Mary Slider. I do not know if any one fought in the Revolutionary War, but if so it was probably the sons of Elias Magers.

Hope this information helps you.

Respectfully, Don

Posted: 15 Jun 2006 5:47PM GMT
I fear this response may be too late but thought I would send it to you. I am descended from John Majors, brother to Daniel (Webster) Majors. John's daughter, Elisabeth, married William Benjamin Reynolds and they were my 3rd g-grandparents.

Below is what I have so far, more so on John but some on Daniel. A search of records in Marion Co would likely turn up more on Daniel. Hope this is some assistance.

On census records John and Daniel Majors both indicated they were born in South Carolina. Where has yet to be determined though one source gives Abbeville District as their origin before coming to Georgia.

Unknown Majors

I do not at this time know the names of my 5th g-grandparents. The names Thomas, Jasper, Rachel, and Winnefred are common so a search of these names in South Carolina may yet yield fruit. They were married prior to 1803 where is unknown also but they appear to have come to Georgia before 1820 possibly to Webster County. They had the following children born to their marriage :

1. Sarah Majors, born October 12, 1803.

2. Daniel Majors, born January 1, 1806 and died June 27, 1891. He married Elizabeth Johnson in 1824. He is buried at Shiloh Church in Marion Co., GA.

3. Thomas Majors, born December 24, 1807.

4. Mary Majors, born April 28, 1809.

5. John Majors, born April 3, 1811. He married Nancy ________ and they were my 4th great-grandparents.

6. Rachel Majors, born March 7, 1813.

7. Martha Majors, born November 12, 1814.

8. David Majors, born June 10, 1818.

John Majors

John Majors was my 4th great-grandfather and was born in South Carolina. His wife’s first name was Nancy and I have been unable to locate a marriage record for them but they are believed to have married about 1831. Together John and Nancy had eleven children as follows:

1. Rachael Majors was born about 1834.

2. Elisabeth Majors was born about 1836. She married William Benjamin Reynolds and they were my 3rd great-grandparents. She died of a fever during the Civil War after going to Vicksburg to tend to her husband’s injuries.

3. Thomas Majors was born about 1838.

4. Jasper Majors was born about 1840.

5. Sarah Majors was born about 1842. She married Henry Chapman.

6. Newton Majors was born about 1844.

7. Winifred Majors was born about 1846.

8. James Iverson Majors was born about 1851.

9. Rodolphus L. Majors was born 1853 and died 1911. He is buried at County Line Primitive Baptist Church in Marion County, GA.

10. Enoch Alonzo Majors was born about 1856. He married Martha Y. Yelverton on Nov. 7, 1878 in Chattahoochee Co., GA.

11. Charles Caleb Majors was born in 1859.

Census records for 1850 show John and Nancy living in Marion Co., GA with 7 children and one teenage boy named John Odum. Whether this was a relative of Nancy’s is not known. John was a farmer with land valued at $1,500 at the time. By 1860 they had moved into neighboring Chattahoochee Co., GA. A man named George Green, age 55 years, was counted in the household. A son-in-law, Henry Chapman, husband of John’s daughter Sarah was also counted in the household. John’s estate had prospered in the previous ten years with land valued at $2,000 and personal belongings valued at $4,350.

Posted: 19 Sep 2008 4:28PM GMT
Surnames: Majors, Castleberry, Johnson
My GGG grandfather was Daniel Webster Majors. My mother has a copy of the Majors Bible (belonged to his son Marshall Daniel Majors) My mother has a lot of information on the Majors family.

This is what we have:

UNKNOWN (probably also named Daniel) MAJORS
married Elizabeth ? who remarried in 1828 James Castleberry. Elizabeth Majors appears in the 1820 census in Pendleton District, South Carolina living next door to a James Majors the same a neighbor a Daniel Majors had in the 1810 census. So this unknown Majors must have died somewhere in 1819. The Majors then moved to GEorgia.

Elizabeth Castleberry later lived with Daniel Webster Majors after her husband died in 1858. She is listed in the 1869 census. We have some of her letters written during the Civil War. Elizabeth Castleberry died in 1868.

Daniel Webster Majors married Elizabeth Johnson, but she was known as Louiza Johnson. That is the name listed on the census and in the family Bible. They were married on December 23, 1824 in Wilkes County, Georgia

Daniel remarried Nancy Ann Moye in 1868. Louiza died sometime before 1868 and after 1860.

Daniel Webster Majors died in 1891 probably in WEbster County, GA

Another poster already listed his siblings.

Amber
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.