Search for content in message boards

Swiss/German ancestry

Swiss/German ancestry

Deborah Byrnes Walsh (View posts)
Posted: 28 Apr 2006 9:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Deflurin/Deflorin, Kippenberger, Von Euw
Does anyone have any info on Plazi Deflorin born in Switzerland 1843/1844 or John Kippenberger born in America 1878/1879

Re: Swiss/German ancestry

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2006 4:44PM GMT
Looked up your surnames in the "Swiss Surnames - A Complete Register" book. (There were no entries for Kippenberger.)

DeFlorin
In the Canton of Glarus: in the communities of Disentis/Muster, Somvix and Tavetsch.
An old surname (citizenship acquired before 1800).

Maybe LDS has films from these communities.

betty sigrist walker (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jun 2006 4:16PM GMT
Can you tell me where to find the Swiss names, Registry book, or a web page. I have got my information on my gggrandfather, Jacob Sigrist and his wife Verena Steinman from Landesarchives in Glarus, but am always looking for more information. Thanks. Betty Sigrist Walker

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2006 12:21PM GMT
Betty,
I have the book(s) ~ it's a 3 volume set. Supposedly some LDS centers have it, but I couldn't tell you which ones. And I don't know of any web site that has this online.

I'm happy to look up any surname for you, but the info is only: Surname - Canton - Community - year citizenship was acquired (and this usually is shown as 1-old surname, acquired before 1800, 2-acquired 19th century, 3-acquired after 1900 (1901-1964), 4-a yr. with previous country or canton/community of citizenship). Note ~ there are no first names.

This book is supposed to help people find where someone held citizenship. Again, supposedly ~ where a person held citizenship is where their vital records are kept, rather than where the event happened.

This is what is listed in the book(s) for the surnames you are researching in Glarus:
SIGRIST
In the Canton of Glarus: in the communities of Linthal, Luchsingen and Riedern ~ it's an old surname, meaning citizenship was acquired before 1800; in the community of Netstal ~ citizenship was acquired in 1744 with an *, meaning citizenship was acquired due to special statuary rules (adoption, divorce, etc.)
Note ~ 1-there are other cantons/communities also listed for this surname; 2-another spelling is SIGERIST.

STEINMANN
In the Canton of Glarus: in the community of Niederurnen ~ it's an old surname, meaning citizenship was acquired before 1800.
Note ~ 1-spelling has double N at end, no listing for single N, 2-no other communities listed in Glarus, 3-there are other cantons/communities also listed for this surname.

Again, this only means that this is where this name has citizenship, not where they lived.

If you have more questions, let me know.
Carol

Posted: 3 Jun 2006 6:29PM GMT
Carol, thank you so much for your reply and information. My information from the Landesarchives indicates that Verena Steinmann was from Niederurnen and her mother, Verena Marti, was born in Bilten, both at the "top" of the country Switzerland, while my gggrandfather, whom she married was born in Leuggelbach. I am curious how the two got together back in those days, when dating must have been done by walking or riding a cow!
My ggg Sigrist family was traced back to the 1600's in Schwanden. No mention of any of them being from Linthal or Riedern--though I know this doesn't mean anything necessarily.
Again, thanks for your help. May I ask where you live? I am in northern California, but was born in Nebr. where Jacob and Verena eventually settled, moving from Wisconsin to Illinois to Nebr. In fact, I just returned home from a visit to Nebr. and visited their graves at a quaint, very old, country cemetery.
Regards, Betty

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2006 7:56PM GMT
Betty,
I guess I need to explain a little bit more about this book. This book is "supposed" to help trace ancestry.

From the "Guideline for using the Register of Surnames":
"contains the names of families ... which in 1962 possessed citizenship in a Swiss community."

From the "Foreward":
"Legally Swiss are first and foremost citizens of their commune; secondarily of their canton; and last of the country of Switzerland itself."
"Vital records of all citizens are, in theory, kept in their commune of origin regardless of where the event, be it a birth, death or marriage, took place."
(It's not like here in the US where not matter where we're born, we're US citizens, and our records stay where the event happened, sort of.)

This might help you understand why some of these communities don't exactly match up. It might also help if you decide to read any films the LDS might have.

As far as being born in one place & getting together somewhere else ~ a lot these people have been immigrating since the 16th century. The reason ~ work! (Some things never change!) In films I've read, I noticed a lot of "day laborer" occupations ~ people moved to where there was work. Some moved because of religion. Also, some might have been in the army, married and, therefore, stayed there (as happened with the husband of one of my gr-gr-grandfather's sister).

Is Schwanden in Glarus?
I looked up:
MARTI
In the Canton Glarus: in the community of Bilten ~ it's an old surname ... ~ and previous citizenship in Engi, Canton Glarus (this might mean two different clans); also it's an old surname in the communities of Elm, Engi, Glarus, and Matt in the Canton of Glarus.

And, I'm 'still' on Long Island (New York) ~ my gr-gr grandparents settled near Hempstead (which is on Long Island) by 1860, after a stay in Morrisana (which is north of NYC).
Carol

Posted: 3 Jun 2006 8:13PM GMT
Hi Carol-regarding your question if Schwanden was in Glarus, on a map the Landesarchives sent me, it is the 3 town above Leuggelbach. It looks quite close. My ggg's obituary says he came from the Canton Glarus and moved to New Glarus, Wisconsin. I happen to have a cousin who lives very near New Glarus, and they have a museum type place for the people who came from Canton Glarus.
I also have an uncle living in Huntington Station, Long Island, who was at our family reunion in Nebr. last week. He has been there since 1950. He was in the Navy in WW II, and married a girl from Brooklyn and ended up living there.
Thanks for your help.. Sometime when I don't have anything better to do, I will go to the LDS place in Sacramento, but since I got most of the information I wanted from the Landesarchives, I am in no hurry.
Regards, Betty

Kathy Sternberg (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2006 7:14PM GMT
Surnames: Moore Jordi
Hi, Carol,
If it would not be too much trouble could you look up Moor and Jordi?
My GG Grandfather was Adolphe Moor. He was married to Verena Jordi and they lived in Zofingen,Switzerland.

Thank You so much!
Kathy

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2006 10:32PM GMT
Kathy,
Here's what I found:

MOOR
In the Canton of Aargau: in the community of Zofingen ~ citizenship was acquired in 1942, previous citizenship in the community of Vordemwald, Canton of Aargau where it's an old surname, meaning citizenship acquired before 1800.
(My guess is he lived in Zofingen, although citizenship is in the community of Vordemwald.)
Also in the Canton of Aargau: in the communities of Brittnau, Siglistorf, and Wislikofen ~ it's an old surname, citizenship acquired before 1800.

JORDI
There is no listing in the Canton of Aargau.
In the Canton of Berne: in the communities of Durrenroth, Eriswill, Gondiswil, Huttwil, Ochlenberg, Wiler bei Utzenstorf, and Wyssachen ~ it's an old surname, citizenship acquired before 1800.
(This is the only Canton that it's an old surname.)

Look at a map (i.e., Mapquest) & you'll see that Vordemwald is very close to Zofingen, and very close to the Berne border. South of Vordemwald (in Berne) you'll find Gondiswil, Huttwil, Eriswil & Wyssachen. Off to the west of Huttwil & Eriswil is Durrenroth. So possibly her citizenship is in one of those towns.

If you have any questions, let me know.
Carol

Posted: 4 Jun 2006 11:03PM GMT
Surnames: Moor Jordi
Dear Carol,
Thank you so much for then infomation. I have tried for so long to find a site that could give me information and history on the Moor ancestors. Do you know of a site?
Switzerland is so hard to search.

Kathy Moore Sternberg
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.