Search for content in message boards

Yanda family of Tama County Iowa

Yanda family of Tama County Iowa

Posted: 19 Oct 2003 1:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Oct 2003 3:06AM GMT
Would anyone have info on James Yanda and his wife Anna Rose (Zeman) Yanda? They are my ggrandparents. I would like to know what James fathers name was? I have just began looking into my history. I will be thankfull for any info.

Re: Yanda / Janda family of Tama County Iowa

Posted: 19 Oct 2003 1:10PM GMT
Edited: 13 Nov 2006 3:35PM GMT
You will need to locate a name of a town for your ancestors in order to proceed with the research.

The name Yanda would be JANDA in Czech since the English Y gives the J sound.

http://phone.quick.cz Czech Republic's phone site
http://mapy.atlas.cz for locating a town in CZ
http://mesta.obce.cz for information on some towns
www.iarelative.com
www.csagsi.org
www.cgsi.org
www.ncsml.org
www.jiznicechy.org
www.czech-genealogy.com

Some Bohemian/ Czech men with name Vaclav used James as their first name in the new country. The name Vaclav does not translate into English name.
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/sc/oconee/misc/foreign-...

Posted: 20 Oct 2003 12:23AM GMT
Edited: 27 Oct 2003 1:15AM GMT
The town they lived in was Chelsea Iowa. I am wondering about my ggranfathers dads name.? My ggrandfathers name is James Yanda. His mothers name is Mary Yanda Novak. She remarried after becoming a widow.

Posted: 20 Oct 2003 12:29AM GMT
Edited: 13 Nov 2006 3:35PM GMT
To proceed with the research into the "old country" you will need to locate that name of a town. That is what I was asking for.

Mary would be Marie Janda Novak in Czech grammar.

Each language has its own pronounciation of the alphabet.
The name Janda in Czech but in English the ancestors wanting the same pronounciation went by Yanda.

Try locating them on a census.

Re: Yanda family of Tama County Iowa

Steven Stodola (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2003 12:44PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: ZEMAN, YANDA, YILEK
Would this be the family you are seeking?

Young Elberon Couple Married

Toledo Democrat: “Miss Anna Zeman, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Zeman, who live southwest of Elberon, and Frank Yanda, son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Yanda, were united in marriage Wednesday, October 3rd, by Mayor Oliver Henderson. They were attended by Miss Bessie Zeman, sister of the bride, and James Yilek. The bridal party drove to Toledo in the groom’s car, which was gayly decorated with ribbons and rosettes in honor of the occasion. The bride wore a lovely dress of white and her bridal veil was artistically caught up with sprays of blossoms. The groom was attired in a conventional suite of dark blue serge. Following the ceremony the bridal party returned to the home of the bride’s parents, where a sumptuous bridal dinner was spread for the bridal party and guests at 6 o’clock. Mr. and Mrs. Yanda are well known and popular young people of the Elberon community and have the well wishes of hosts of friends as they embark on the matrimonial sea. They expect to make their home with the bride’s parents for the time being. [Traer Star-Clipper, 12 October 1923]

Dawn Beaver (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2003 2:25PM GMT
Yes, this is the family I am looking for. Would you have any more info? Thank You for the wedding announcement. Dawn

Chris Lange (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jun 2004 6:11AM GMT
I may be able to help. We had a James Janda that went from South Dakota to Iowa, and Novak was also in the line.

Will look it up and get back to you. Please e-mail me.

Mrs. Chris Lange

Dawn (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jun 2004 9:05PM GMT
That would be great.

Chris Lange (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jun 2004 5:54AM GMT
My e-mail is cel9591@earthlink.net. Go ahead and e-mail the dates you have for Iowa, and I can let you know if I have a match.

Chris

Posted: 26 Jul 2012 2:27AM GMT
I am confused, because this says Anna married Frank. There was another Anna Zeman that married James Yanda. I don't know for sure when she was born, but James was born in February 1900 and he died in 1974. They were my grandparents. If you would like to discuss this, you can e-mail me at dbonser@usa.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.