Search for content in message boards

Lee Willis b1798 in Virginia

Lee Willis b1798 in Virginia

Jerry Willis (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2002 6:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Regarding your message:
I am looking for any information on Lee Willis b.1798 married Arin b. 1810. Dates are approximate. Had eight children. He was born in Kentucky, she was born in Virginia. Would appreciate any information from Lee back to his parents. Thanks.

This sounds like it could be the same person we are tracing. My sister Charlene Willis Nix (canix@integrity.com) has been able to trace our Willis family tree back to Lee (E.E.) Willis who was born 1798 in Virginia.

Lee was married in Franklin county Virginia in 1824 to lady named Ann Web. Ann's mother (Hannah Webb) gave permission on the bond. Jacob Webb was her father.

I believe a Judge (F.?) Saunders signed as a Guardian or something like that at the wedding. If you have any information that might tie you or your familiy back to this E.E. or Lee Willis I would certainly appreciate it. My sister can furnish family tree from Lee Willis to our family. My Grandfather was Alexander Willis of Minco, OK born I believe in MO, Dad was Clarence Maslin Willis of Minco, OK, I am Jerry Wayne Willis of Kansas City, MO, my son is Beau Willis of Columbus, OH and my Grandson is Benjamin Davis Willis of Columbus, OH.

I do have a geneologist researching the VA records at this time and hopefuly I will hear about Lee Willis' parents in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for any related information. You never know when we will tie it all together.

Jerry

Re: Lee Willis b1798 in Virginia

Posted: 5 Jul 2006 1:45PM GMT
I just sent a reply to Charlene Willis NIx. My great grandfather was a Lee Willis; born about 1830 in Franklin Co VA, he had moved to Missouri by 1858 wiht stops in Tennessee, I think. He enlisted in the Confederate Army and was not heard from after Wilsons' Creek. He owned a farm in Lawrence Co, MO, but lived for a while in Audrain Co. MO. Adjacent to his farm in Lawrence Co was one owned by Jubal (or Juble) Willis who also listed Franklin Co VA as his birthplace.

Posted: 6 Jul 2006 2:33AM GMT

I believe your Lee Willis is a nephew of the Lee Willis who was born in 1798. According to my records, the father of your Lee Willis (Lee Clarence Willis) is James A. Willis, who was born about 1800 in Franklin County, Virginia. James A. Willis is a brother of the Lee Willis who was born in 1798.

Faye Edwards (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jul 2006 2:37AM GMT
This is so exciting! The only one of my ancestors I've been stuck on is Lee Willis and now you've given me a clue!
My grandmother always told me stories about her father's faint memory of waving goodbye to his dad (Lee) from the porch of their farmhouse near Marionville, Mo just before the Battle of Wilson's Creek; it was the last time he saw him. Her dad's name was James Thomas Willis, and in keeping with naming your son after someone close in the family, it may well have been that Lee was the son of James A.
She never knew Lee's middle name, so I assumed maybe he didn't have one, but might have.
Lee married a Nancy Edna Davis from Scotland according to the stories; do you have any record of that?...don't know if it was in Virginia or maybe as he moved west through Tennessee...or into Missouri. I believe she died giving birth to James Thomas in 1858 in Missouri.
At the same time that Lee bought a farm in SW MO., so did a Jubal Willis, also of Franklin Co VA. Were they related?
Where did you get your info?....I just joined the Ancestry website along with one of my cousins, but if you can offer any advice on the search we are doing, we would so much appreciate it!

Denise (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jul 2006 12:56PM GMT
I would like to correspond with you concerning the Willis family. I am a ggg-granddaughter of Lee Willis. Please email me at edseevers@msn.com.

Posted: 10 Jul 2006 1:42AM GMT
Faye, this is more fun information! Thank You!! My older sister is Charlene Willis Nix. My younger sister Lorita Willis Goza and I went to Monroe Co, MO to the old E.E. (Lee) Willis farm and cemetery about 2 years ago (Maybe in 2004). It is about 7 miles southwest of Paris, MO. There is a wonderful man there who has owned the property within his family for the last 100 years or so and kept track of where the cemetery was. He took us up there (about a quarter mile East of his home) and allowed us to dig and find a few gravestones. I think Lee and his wife Johanna are buried there with some of their kids and other relatives. However, we weren’t equipped enough to really dig them up. I took pictures of a few. The prairie grass that covers them all is matted and very difficult to cut and dig. I would love to go up there again with the right equipment and some help and dig up the entire graveyard (my guess is that there are only maybe 20-30 gravesites) and take pictures and try to preserve the site.

Now to find that Lee’s brothers James and Jubal also moved to Missouri and lived not too far south of Lee is very exciting. They had another brother nemed Isaiah who was born in Franklin County, VA in 1802 and I wonder if he also moved to MO. Audrain, Co, MO is the county just south of Monroe county and it appears they probably lived less than 30 miles of each other and possibly much closer!! This gives me a new idea of the life my GGGrandfather (E.E.(Lee) Willis) and GGrandfather (Charles Cobb Willis) lived after they moved to MO. They probably had a fairly close family relationship and visited each other. I hope so.

Faye Edwards (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2006 11:15AM GMT
My cousins and I are just overwhelmed! We went from having no hope of finding any Willis relatives to being on information overload!
Was E.E.Lee Willis the father of James who was the father of Lee, Jubal, Thomas, James R. and all the rest?
I live at Morrison in Gasconade Co, my cousins in Montgomery Co. We would totally be up for a trip to Monroe Co if you wanted to meet us there sometime. Does the cemetery have a name?
By the way, we are also descended from the Callaway / Osage Co Nix family. Could they be related to your sister's husband?

Posted: 10 Jul 2006 2:12PM GMT
It is wonderful to find some cousins living close!! And, someone that would be interested in going back to the ‘Old Lee Willis’ cemetery (That is the name as far as I know) and checking it out in detail!! I definitely want to do it soon if possible. I live in Kansas City and work at a spinoff of Sprint corporation called Embarq Communications. Where do you live? Do you have male cousins whose name is Willis? If so they could take the DNA test and prove our connection.

If you think you are on information overload now, just wait!! David Willis has a mountain of wonderful information!! I have a lot of it but I am so disorganized I can't get to it quickly so I am waiting on David's book.

David is a distant cousin living in San Diego, CA. He is an excellent genealogist and is writing a book on our branch of the Willis family starting back in Wiltshire, England in the late 1500s!! You will be amazed and love all that he has found and documented and the indications from our DNA tests!! We are very lucky that our ancestors have such a good trail and that we now have DNA evidence to help in documenting the family history. David plans to publish his book in 2008 and I am definitely on the wait list and hope I am first on the list! He says he has about 800 pages of evidence and information so far and expects another 100 pages before he is done. Another distant cousin is Dr. Keith Willis (Dr. of Education) of St. Louis, MO. David and I began a DNA project to prove whether or not we were related and found that we were. Since then many other Willis men have taken the DNA test and we have several proven cousins including Keith and a couple more Willis branches to whom we are not at least closely related. David is the administrator of the Willis DNA project. See nwillis@san.rr.com; dwillis1@san.rr.com; kmwillis@centurytel.net.

William Willis was the father of E.E.(Lee) Willis and Jubal and James A. and Isaiah. My GGGGrandfather William died at about age 45 in 1813. My guess so far is that he died as a result of the War of 1812.

See the following that has info on William Willis and others http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~willis/genw.htm as a start but keep in mind that David Willis has lots better information. Some of this might be a new source for David.

Posted: 10 Jul 2006 2:16PM GMT
I would bet money that this is the same Nix family from Osage county. My brother-in-law's name is Gerald Glen Nix and his dad was Gerald also I think. See ggnix@sbcglobal.net; charlenean@sbcglobal.net

Posted: 11 Jul 2006 10:21PM GMT
Denise,

Send me your email address and I will copy you on some stuff and give you an excellent set of email addresses.

Jerry jwwillis100@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.