Search for content in message boards

Clarence E. Chapin obit or cemetery info

Clarence E. Chapin obit or cemetery info

Posted: 26 Mar 2007 9:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am searching for the obituary or burial records for Clarence E. Chapin who lived Toledo, Lucas Co., OH at the time of his son Raymond E. Chapin's birth 13 May 1889. Date of death for Clarence is know to be 14 Oct. 1901.

TIA

Dick

Richard F. Strait
7810 Grover St.
Omaha, NE 68124-3328
402-393-2629
rfstrait@juno.com

PS: Any other references would also be appreciated.

CHAPIN -1899 Toledo Directory-Re: Clarence E. Chapin obit or cemetery info

Posted: 27 Mar 2007 2:14AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: CHAPIN
Here are the CHAPIN Families living in Toledo in 1899 as reported in the city directory:
CHAPIN
Alexander J, coach clnr, h 224 Sumner
Alida A, tchr Industrial school, bds 1324 Huron
Clarnece E, civ engr, h 322 E Woodruff av
Della B, tchr Jefferson school, bds 218 11th
Edward, h 129 13th
Edwin V, lab, h 624 Greene
Chapin Francis P, Mngr Equitable Life Insurance (shown in bold case all caps)
Society of New York, 201-202-203-204 Brown Bldg, h 2211 Jefferson. Office Phone 1400, res 500
Frederick A, clk 2d National Bank, bds 1324 Huron
Leander R, real estate, h 2261 Franklin av
Mary J (wid Frederick), h 1324 Huron
Merrick W, clk money order div P O, h 218 11th
Ruth M, tchr Manual Training School, bds 129 13th

Names before and after: Chapaten and Chapman.

In Case your related to Leander R. Chapin, I've attached a picture of North Toledo, where there is a subdivision called Chapin Subdivision. My Leander F. Harris was also a Northern Toledo land owner and real estate owner.
Leander Chapin lived on Franklin ave of which I believe was in the Harris Subdivision, I wonder if they knew each other. If you can not see the picture, you can view it at The Toledo dot org. web site and look under Images of Time.
Happy Hunting. Jackie Harris Doorn

Attachments:

Re: CHAPIN -1899 Toledo Directory-Re: Clarence E. Chapin obit or cemetery info

Posted: 27 Mar 2007 2:17AM GMT
I'm sorry, I missed typed CLARENCE first name on the list.
Jackie

Posted: 28 Mar 2007 4:33PM GMT
Thank you Jackie, I caught the mispelling of Clarence, who was the one I was checking on. Interesting enough I couldn't find him in the 1900 census of Toledo! Would there be obits available?

rfs in Omaha, Ne

Re: Clarence E. Chapin obit or cemetery info

Posted: 28 Mar 2007 6:44PM GMT
He is in the 1900 census as ClarAnce, living at 138 Maumee street, ward 14, Port Lawrence Township, ED104:
head, Clarance, 53, b Mar 1847, md 31 yrs, OH OH OH, RR laborer
wife, Lucy, 48, b Nov 1851, 2 chn, 2 living, OH Eng PA

138 Maumee street would have within a block of the (now) Norfolk & Southern railroad tracks, possibly the company for whom he worked. Unfortunately, there are no railroad employment records available until 1936 or later.

I checked the Toledo Blade Obit Index for him and there was no adult Clarance/Clarence listed. There was one but he was 4 years old when he died. I suppose the 4 could have been a typo for 54 but I did not check it.

The Blade, and variant spellings-Toledo Daily Blade, Toledo Evening Blade, Toledo Blade, The Blade, etc. was/is the most prominent newspaper in Toledo. Other newspapers were the Toledo News 1890-1903, Toledo News Bee 1903-38 and the Toledo Times 1900-1975. None of the latter newspapers' obits are indexed but they are on microfilm at the library. There were several ethnic newspapers, too, mostly German, Hungarian and Polish. Generally, I have found that if an obit was published in the other English papers it would have been in the Toledo Blade family of newspapers, too.

Re: Clarence E. Chapin obit or cemetery info

Posted: 28 Mar 2007 7:10PM GMT
Thank you for the reply, unfortunately this must be different Clarence Chapin. The one I am looking for was born 11 Jun 1861 in Illinois. The date of death we have for our Clarence was 14 Oct 1901. His wives names were Susan, died before 1900 and Ellen.

Appreciate your reply, thank you again,

rfs in Omaha, NE

Posted: 28 Mar 2007 9:00PM GMT
Your welcome, read luvnsun reply on the obit info, always kind enough to post obits if they are available. I would paste all the information from our replys on a word doc for later use. Things will make sense as you research more down the line. I find that in the 1899 directory under a certain name, they are all related in some way and you peace it together later on. Word of mouth family information sometimes is not correct. I'm in Chicago with an old Toledo Directory for 1899 and 1927, all I can do is look ups there and sometimes I go into Ancestry dot com to see what they have. Ancestry does have the Toledo 1890-91 Directories there. Good Luck. Jackie Harris Doorn

Posted: 28 Mar 2007 9:00PM GMT
Your welcome, read luvnsun reply on the obit info, always kind enough to post obits if they are available. I would paste all the information from our replys on a word doc for later use. Things will make sense as you research more down the line. I find that in the 1899 directory under a certain name, they are all related in some way and you peace it together later on. Word of mouth family information sometimes is not correct. I'm in Chicago with an old Toledo Directory for 1899 and 1927, all I can do is look ups there and sometimes I go into Ancestry dot com to see what they have. Ancestry does have the Toledo 1890-91 Directories there. Good Luck. Jackie Harris Doorn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.