Search for content in message boards

Help needed from Pettigrew Researchers

Help needed from Pettigrew Researchers

Posted: 11 Aug 2006 5:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Sep 2006 1:00AM GMT
Surnames: Pettigrew
My children have two Pettigrew lines one through my family which goes back to George W. Pettigrew in Virginia and the other through their father wich goes back to Ebenezer Pettigrew born in Georgia in about 1795. Does anyone know if these line are connected?
I am finding some pretty confusing information on line.
Any help or suggestions welcome

Re: Help needed from Pettigrew Researchers

Deborah Pettigrew-Robertson (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 2006 8:57PM GMT
Surnames: PETTIGREW
I am a Pettigrew in Texas. My ancestors came from South or North Carolina, they were Jefferson and Louisa Pettigrew the 1870 came me this much info. I am trying to go back to the East and find out there ancestors or relatives.
Thanks

Posted: 9 Sep 2006 8:00PM GMT
I have a great deal of information about "Ebenezer Pettigrew born in Georgia in about 1795" He was my GGG Grandfather. Perhaps you could send a private message so we could figure out how I am related to your husband.
As for "George W. Pettigrew in Virginia," George is a pretty common name among the Pettigrews. Do you have any more details by which we can narrow this down?

Posted: 1 Oct 2007 2:01AM GMT
Along with other Pettigrew descendants who come from this Ebenezer Pettigrew, I have questions about who Ebenezer's parents were. Some say he was a son of John Pettigrew and Lear Owens. Others think he was the son of James Pettigrew and Leah Blackwell. Do you have any documentation one way or the other? Thanks for any help you can provide!!!
Mary

Posted: 1 Oct 2007 6:38AM GMT
Surnames: Pettigrew Owens Blackwell Long
This is a very long story. Arguably the most famous Pettigrews are found in the Abbeville line headed by James Pettigrew Senior and his wife, Mary Cochran, who came to America from Crilly House, Aughnacloy, County Tyrone, Ireland in 1740.

However, a great many Pettigrews did not descend from the Abbeville Pettigrews. DNA results indicate some of the “non-Abbeville” descendants were probably related back in Northern Ireland prior to emigration. Others are related further back, perhaps in Scotland or France. And some men with the last name of Pettigrew are not genetically related at all.

The male Abbeville Pettigrews of western South Carolina included James Senior, six sons, three daughters, and their families. The eldest son was John of Abbeville (1736, County Tyrone, Ireland-9 Nov 1806, Abbeville SC). He married Sarah Matthews prior to 1761.

The second son was James Jr of Abbeville (17 Dec 1738, County Tyrone, Ireland - after 1788, place unknown). He is the least-well documented son of James Senior,but it is likely that about 1770 James Jr married Elizabeth Long, daughter of Matthew Long and Elizabeth Montgomery Long, and evidence indicates James did have children

The fourth son of James Senior of Abbeville was George (14 Apr 1746, Willow Dale Farm, Chambersburg, Franklin PA - 7 Mar 1818, Moniteau Co (Then Cole Co) MO). About 1775 George married Jean/Jane Long (18 Mar 1756 - 10 Aug 1833). George was the nomad of the family. After his birth in PA, he moved southward with his parents, stopping for a while in VA and NC before they settled in SC. After he married Jane, George kept moving. He was in GA by 1785 and is found in several GA land records as late as 1810. George, Jane, and their younger children were in the KY by 1810 and finally in MO by about 1813, where George died in 1818. George and Jean/Jane had ten children, half of them sons; George's descendants spread to TN, MO, and AR.

Now we finally get to your question: Their eldest child was James (1776, Abbeville SC – 1826, Baldwin Co GA). On 25 Feb 1800 he married Leah (Lear) BLACKWELL (1775 - 1826). They had three sons:
a. Ebenezer (A.?) (ca1800 - 1839) m. 27 Mar 1816 (21?) to Lucinda SMITH (ca1795 - 1875)
b. Bennet B. (1801 - >1860) m. 27 Jan 1825 to Betha (Tabetha) CODDLE (1802 - ~1850)
c. Edwin B. (1803 - 1889) m. 1st on 17 Nov 1824? to Rebecca MARLOW; m. 2nd to “Widow” BROWN, m. 3rd in 1839 to “Widow” Nancy Ann Ash (Jones).

Meanwhile, in Orange County NC there was an independent Pettigrew line that is rarely mentioned by Pettigrew genealogists. Hans/Hance, John, and William Pettigrew all owned land in NC at the time of the Revolution. James Pettigrew (yet another one!) also appears by the 1800 census. Both traditional genealogy and modern DNA testing show these Pettigrews of Orange and Granville County NC were NOT descendants of James Senior of Abbeville.
The John Pettigrew of Orange County NC was born about the 1750’s. He owned land in Wake County NC by 1777. In 1779 in Orange County, NC, John Pittigrew had a Property Assessment of 400 Pounds. On 24 Dec. 1799 or 25 Feb 1800 THIS John Pettigrew married Lear (or Leah?) Owens in Orange Co NC. (This John allegedly married second to a Susannah, perhaps in Tennessee.)

Posted: 4 Dec 2007 1:11PM GMT
They may have been connected back in the "old country" which may be Ireland or England but not connected this side of the Atlantic.

Richard Pettigrew

Posted: 4 Dec 2007 1:18PM GMT
The Ebenezer Pettigrew's were descended from the family of James and Mary Pettigrew who came to PA about 1740 from Co Tyrone, Ireland and eventually lived in the Abbeville District of SC. This family is a different, unconnected one from the George W Pettigrew family of VA, later of OH, IN,and MI.

Richard Pettigrew

Posted: 4 Dec 2007 1:24PM GMT
He was in all probability the son of James Pettigrew and Leah Blackwell of the Abbeville SC Pettigrew family. John Pettigrew who married Lear Owens was of the Orange County, NC Pettigrew's who were related to the Abbeville family a few generations back in Ireland. I can give you a name who has more documentation than I have on this matter if you write me at my email address (rrpsfc@aol.com).

Richard Pettigrew

Posted: 27 Mar 2008 6:11PM GMT
Surnames: Pettigrew, Parsons,Ottinger,Palm
I am ggdaughter of George Washington Pettigrew Jr, s/o George W. Sr and Mary Parsons. George Sr. (s/o John Finley Pettigrew and Elizabeth) was born 2Nov 1801 in
Rockbridge,VA abd died 29 Sep 1877 in Madison,IN. John Finley b. 20 Mar 1758 Lancaster, Pennsor, Ireland.d. 19 Sep 1838 Cass, MI. My gmother, Amanda Melesenneth(Mellie) Pettigrew married Joseph Henry Ottinger in IN. where they were both born. They moved to Batavia, Kane, IL where most of their 13 children were born. My father, Kenneth McNear Manervan Ottinger the was born in Batavia and so was I. My mother, Hannah Matilda Palm, was born in Geneva,Kane, IL, d/o Charles William Palm and Adelia Hawkinson.

Posted: 20 Aug 2008 5:00PM GMT
What i have is that the two(George and Ebenezer) are broyhers . Father is James Pettigrew 111 ,mother is Mary Cochran
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.