Search for content in message boards

Samuels in Hanover

Samuels in Hanover

Posted: 5 Aug 2010 8:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Samuels Henry
I've been researching my grandfather Stanley Stair's wife Gladys Henry (1906-1953) and located a link to the Samuels surname.

Gladys' grandparents were: Carolina Samuels (1872-1957) and Jacob Samuels

Gladys' parents were: Rachel Samuels and Alexander Henry

Gladys' brothers/sisters: Frank Jonas, Vandis Henry, and Alexander Henry (wife = Pearlina and their 4 children: Emerson (Diggy), Howard, Milverton, Maureen)

Do any of these names sound familiar? I believe my Samuels connections lived near (or on the way to) Askenish in Hanover

Re: Samuels in Hanover

Posted: 9 May 2011 4:49PM GMT
I'm not sure specifically on your family but I know a lot of Jews use to live there! Especially with a name like Samuels. Good luck on your search!

Posted: 24 May 2011 2:30AM GMT
We could be distant cousins. My mother's family on both sides are Samuels from Medley, Hanover which is near Askenish. As a child I was aware that I had Samuels cousins in Askenish, but was also a cousin to Miss Dorcas Samuels and her husband from Cascade in Hanover.
My grandmother's name was Lucinda Samuels (Known as Miss Lussy)and was well known for her bass gospel voice. My most vivid ancestral memory is that one A. Shaw Samuels, my great grandfather was the first 'native Jamaican' to be appointed head master of a Primary school. I believe that would have been Mt. Hannah school. The Samuals of medley and Askenish are also related to the Samuels of Donalva in Hanover. Good luck.

Posted: 6 Jun 2011 7:39PM GMT
hi, My name is Courie Duhaney. My aunt the (late) Dr Margaret Samuels was marrired to a Mr Samuels who pre-deceased her

Posted: 8 Jun 2011 7:19PM GMT
Surnames: Samuels
Hi - Thanks for your message and information. I have located additional children by my great grandmother (Rachel Samuels):

-Alger Gwendelin Samuels (born 1903)
-Gladys Louise Samuels (born 1905) - my grandmother
-Twins: Rachel Matilda Samuels and Alexander George Samuels (born -1909)
-Nevel Mederick Samuels (born 1912)
-Imogene Samuels (born 1915)
-Egla Magnora Reid (born 1918
-Frank Beauford (born Nov 12, 1900)

Do any of these names connect with your Samuels family? The Samuels surname seems to be quite prominent in Hanover.

Re: Samuels in Hanover - Alexander Shaw Samuels

Posted: 8 Jun 2011 7:32PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jun 2011 7:32PM GMT
Hi Again - Does the info below pertain to your great grandparents?

CATHERINE S.2 JOHNSON (JOHNNIE1) was born Unknown in Maryland, Hanover, Jamaica, and died 1943 in Franklyn Town, Kingston, Jamaica. She married ALEXANDER SHAW SAMUELS January 06, 1886 in Gurney's Mount, Hanover, Jamaica. He was born Unknown in Flower Hill, Hanover, Jamaica, and died September 1940 in Maryland, Hanover, Jamaica.

If so, let me know and I will put you in contact with the person researching this line of Samuels :)

Posted: 8 Jun 2011 7:33PM GMT
Interesting! Is Samuels a "Jewish" surname? Did they own any plantations in this area?

Posted: 8 Jun 2011 7:35PM GMT
Hi - Thanks for your post.

Do you know the names of your aunt Margaret Samuels' brothers or sisters? Any birth or death dates?

Posted: 9 Jun 2011 2:47PM GMT
hi my email is corey.duhaney@gmail.com. My fathers name is James Duhaney, my uncles are Lloyd and Leon Duhaney, Dalton, Glen Dehaney.

Posted: 9 Jun 2011 8:21PM GMT
Lucinda Samuels (Known as Miss Lussy) She sang at my grand mothers Funeral in Lucea Methodist Church back in 1971, I did not know she was a Samuels, oh did she had a Bass voice, plus she was a slim person too

"Miss Dorcas Samuels" Quite possible that she was married to this politican named Samuels.

"A. Shaw Samuels" Alexander Shaw Samuels, he is my Great Grandfather, wife and Great Grand Mother Catherine Johnson-Samuels, now what is your line to him?

"first 'native Jamaican' to be appointed head master of a Primary school." This I never knew, but I know he was also a Headmaster at a school in Port Royal, Gurneys Mount, over in Darliston, Westmoreland and Maryland.

"The Samuals of medley and Askenish are also related to the Samuels of Donalva in Hanover" This I have no information about.

Can you share your in formation? I have the Johnson Family Tree that has two Samuels Branch, you can e-mail me also at that time exchange phone#.

Have you heard the term "Round Barrel"?, there is a road on the left between Medley and Donalva that takes you to a Samuels family.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.