Search for content in message boards

Nicholas, Lucinda and little Lucinda Hoover

Nicholas, Lucinda and little Lucinda Hoover

Exie Lundquist (View posts)
Posted: 21 Mar 2003 2:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hoover, Gate, Caffey, Moore
Upshur Co., Texas. Nicholas Hoover born Franklin Co., Ohio. 1839. Went to Daviess Co. then to Upshur Co. with his father Abraham Hoover and brothers. I beleive he, his wife and young daughter were buried in Hoover Cemetery in Upshur Co., Texas. But have no proof. Nicholas, Lucinda and little Lucinda died within days of each other. Lucinda and little Lucinda died Nov. 13, 1863 and Nicholas died Nov. 18, 1863. Was there a fire or some accident or desease that took them? Does anyone Know? My great grandfather John T Hoover and His brother David were taken in by the Gate family. Nicholas's sister married a Gate. We have lost track of David Robertson Hoover. Was he adopted by the Gate family?

Re: Nicholas, Lucinda and little Lucinda Hoover

Posted: 13 Jun 2003 5:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Dec 2004 6:25PM GMT
1870 census Upshur Co, TX lists three Hoover families, Jefferson 43, b IN, Abraham 48 b IN, and :

Hoover, John, 21, b TX
", Margaret 25, b TN
", George, 2, TX
", John, 5/12, b TX
", Lucinda, 15, b TX
", David, 12, b TX

Obviously Lucinda and and David are too old to be children of John and Margaret. I think this is your lost David. What is your source of "little" Lucinda also dying? And, what is your source for death dates for the couple and baby? Just playing Devil's Advocate.

Matching birth year, again I think this is your David on the 1880 census Hunt Co, TX:

Categories: Name; Relationship to head of household; Marital Status; Gender; Race; Age; Birthplace; Occupation; Father's Birthplace; Mother's Birthplace.

David R. HOOVER Self M Male W 21 TX Farmer OH OH
Margarett HOOVER Wife M Female W 22 TX House Keeper TN AL
Sarah E. HOOVER Dau S Female W 3M TX TX TX

I would check the 1900 census for this David R. Hoover.

What Gate family supposedly took the young brothers? One on the 1870 in Colorado Co, TX, and is black. One named Gates on Upshur Co, TX, and is black.

Happy Hunting (^_^)

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.