Richard Adams to a Hannah Boyd
Sylvester Adams to Rebecca Boyd Abt. 1792
I have other information on Adams family
would be glad to share.
e-mail parkinssa@clarkston.com

ADAMS IN HALIFAX VA-SUE

Posted: 21 Feb 2001 8:24PM GMT
Edited: 23 Feb 2005 6:16AM GMT
I AM RELATED TO THESE ADAMS. NANCY ADAMS WAS MY GR.GRANDMOTHER, HER FATHER DANIEL EASLEY ADAMS, HIS FATHER JOSHUA ADAMS AND SO ON. I HAVE EXTENSIVE TREE TO THESE ADAMS. PATTYANNREICH@AOL.COM

Re: ADAMS IN HALIFAX VA-SUE

Shelly O'Neal (View posts)
Posted: 1 May 2002 1:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am also releated to these Adams. I have information that I am willing to share also.

Re: Adams in Va.

Posted: 1 May 2002 7:35PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jun 2002 2:36AM GMT
Surnames: ADAMS/SEAGRAVES
Hi, Sue,
I do not descend from any of the Halifax Co., VA ADAMSes you listed. I do descend from Samuel ADAMS, born 1800, Botetourt Co., VA, married 1827, Pittsylvania Co., VA, Tamson Ann DIX, dau of William DIX of Pittsy C.. They lived much of their lives in Halifax Co., VA. Samuel died 1892, at his daughter's (Mary Reeves (ADAMS) VADEN's) home in Pittsylvania Co., VA. His parents, Joseph Samuel and Elizabeth (SEAGRAVES) ADAMS and most of their children died in the short period, May-June 1810 in "Missouri Territory" (per Bible entry). About 1804, the in-law, SEAGRAVES family migrated to and settled in Warren Co., KY; I believe my Joseph and his family migrated with the SEAGRAVES, but can't yet prove it.

I have much info on this ADAMS/SEAGRAVES family, except, I have very little on them while they were in Halifax Co., VA, ca 1835-70. I know he was a commercial leather tanner, and manufactured various wooden products.

If you have any other details of his Halifax life, I'd greatly appreciate hearing about then.
Thanks for even reading all this. I am not on this message board, and would appreciate your response to me at:
Gordon Adams: GorAdams@aol.com

Posted: 10 Jun 2010 10:56PM GMT
Surnames: Adams, Vaden, Giles, Wilson, Segraves, Dickenson, Shelton, and Berger
I am Gordon's cousin and must sadly report that he is no longer with us.

However, I am taking up the charge and trying to continue with his research in order to find out Joseph Samuel Adams's parents. He must fit in somewhere. If anybody sees this message and feels that they might have a clue as to who could be the parents of our our Joseph then by all means please contact me.

This family did tend to intermarry with other families in the area - some surnames are: Vaden, Giles, Wilson, Segraves, Dickenson, Shelton, and Berger. So please watch out for any of these families that may have married into the Adams family.

Also part of the Virginia family did migrate to KY and on to Missouri.

Thanks,
Christie

Posted: 11 Jun 2010 2:00AM GMT
Surnames: ADAMS< KEATON< OVERSTREET< GRIMES< VADEN
Our Adams we think originated in VA. So far though DNA only hooks us up with one Adams family, that of James Asa Adams of NC. Though it is in I think Forcythe and Alamance (something with an "A"), the county next to it in upper central NC.
My James ADams is said to be from TN on his kids census. He married Catherine Thomas from NC abt 1822 in NC. They had 4 kids there and then went in a wagon train with these families to Ray COUnty MO. Adams, Grimes, VanBebber, Thomas, McGlothlin, Yoakum and Kincaid; arriving in Ray county in 1837. My daughter in law also has an Adams family in TN who is in soomeway connected with the OVerstreets and VAdens. I have not researched this line yet.Susan (Jennie) Elizabeth Adams b.1863 in VA. md. Zachariah James KEaton b.1754 in PAtrick Co, VA.All I have on Susans is her father is Jacob Adams 1735 PAtrick CO, VA.and mother Mary THompson.

Posted: 11 Jun 2010 4:36PM GMT
Speaking of Adams in NC/VA, you need to remember that Carolina was not even chartered until 1643 (I think) and the Northern Boundary was moved north about 1683, so you could have Virginia ancestors who became citizens of North Carolina and never moved an inch.
Clayton Burton

Posted: 11 Jun 2010 4:50PM GMT
Yes, you're absolutely correct. Same thing for folks to remember is when talking about Virginia - it was divided up later on and part of it became West Virginia and people didn't have to move then either to be in another state all of a sudden.

These things really do help when searching and I'm glad you brought it up.

Thanks so much.
CAT

Posted: 12 Jun 2010 7:40PM GMT
Hi Cristie,
I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin's passing.
Was he the Col Gordon Adams that wrote so many things in Adams Addenda?
Thanks,
Hank Adams

Posted: 12 Jun 2010 9:45PM GMT
Surnames: Adams
Yes Hank, Col. Gordon Adams of California died back in 2006. He was my Dad's first cousin and they were born around the same time and raised in the same area. It is hard to see all this things on the Internet now and not be able to contact him myself.

I just lost my Dad [ Lt. Berkley Adams ] back in December as well. He was a WWII bomber pilot. I feel like I have to find the rest of the family for both Gordon and my Dad now.

But as sad as thier loss is - I am finding other members of my Adams family to discuss Adams' genealogy with and hope to find connections with more as I go along.

Thanks for writing.
Christie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.