Search for content in message boards

Bell in NY

Bell in NY

Leslie (View posts)
Posted: 25 Oct 2001 5:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm looking for family of a Isaac BELL b. abt. 1764 in Cornwall, NY and died 1813 and is buried in the Cornwall Friends Cemetery ? Looking for dates of children, and names. He had a daughter Mary Bell b. abt. 1798 which is my GGGG Grandmother.

Re: Bell in NY

Posted: 3 Jun 2002 12:34AM GMT
I have an Isaac Bell in my husband's records who seems to fit your description. I show that he was married to Jemima Clarke 20 Apr 1789 in Cornwall, Orange, New York. He died 29 Dec 1813 in Orange County, New York. He may have had more children than what I show, but here are the ones I have:
Moses Clarke Bell
Francis H. Bell
Nathan Clarke Bell
Isaac Bell
I am looking for information on Isaac's father. I believe his name to be John, but that is all I know.

Wanda L. Branson
Lecanto, FL

Posted: 18 Jun 2002 1:38AM GMT
Edited: 18 Jun 2002 1:40AM GMT
I don't have a specific info for you, but I was once led down the wrong path by a Bell reference citing Cornwall, NY when it should have been Cornwall, CT. There were Bells in Cornwall, CT in the late 1700's. I found my ancestor, Kitchell Bell, there. He was a descendant of the immigrant Francis Bell.

You might want to check the Cornwall, CT records.

Have you checked the "Genealogy of the Bell Family" by John Valentine Hecker in the NY Gen. & Bio. Record, pub 1898?

Gregory Bell Smith

Leslie (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jun 2002 12:04PM GMT
No I have not checked out that book.. Can I get it at a book store ? Did the CT Bells come up in NY area ? New to this line. I know Isaac Bell son Francis Bell went to Washington DC b/c I have his pension and Francis was in the pension of his father Isaac Bell.

Posted: 18 Jun 2002 11:35PM GMT
The Bell Genealogy I referenced is not a book. It is the quarterly publication of the New York Genealogical & Biographical Society. It started in vol 28 (1898) and continued into vol 29. I have some pages of it pertaining to my line that I scanned for references to yours, but did not find anything. However, I probably only have about one tenth of the article. You can sometimes find it at Public Libraries (ours in Phoenix has it), especially if they have a good genealogical section.

My ancester, Kitchell Bell, is buried in Cornwall, CT. His son Jonathan moved to Rutland, VT during the Revolution and served in both CT and VT militias. His son Jonathan moved to Lewiston, NY (near Ft. Niagra) and served in the army during the War of 1812. He married the daughter of the Commandant who surrendered the fort to the British.

Francis BELL - DC

Posted: 7 Jul 2004 4:37PM GMT
Edited: 28 Aug 2004 9:40AM GMT
The stillborn infant of Francis R. and Maire BELL, born 10 Jan 1914, was buried in the HOFFMAN/HUNT family plot at Oak Hill Cemetery in Georgetown DC. Am looking for a BELL/HOFFMAN/HUNT family connection.

Others buried in the plot are:
Mary E. Hoffman buried Aug 1859
George S. Hunt buried Aug 1859
Frances Hoffman buried Nov 1863
Cumberland Hunt buried 1865
Alphonso E. Hoffman buried Jan 1872
Mary Jane Hoffman buried Aug 1872
Percia V. Hunt buried July 1874
Benjamin F. Hunt buried July 1875
Mary Estelle Hoffman buried Nov 1880
William D. Hoffman buried May 1881
James A. Hoffman Jr. buried Jun 1882
Lloyd I. Hoffman buried May 1884
Clarence H. Hoffman buried Aug 1885
Julia Hoffman buried Feb 1887
John W. Hoffman buried 1892
William G. Hoffman buried Jan 1898
Martha A. Hoffman Hunt buried Jan 1910

Re: Bell in NY - publications

Posted: 7 Jul 2004 4:42PM GMT
Edited: 28 Aug 2004 9:40AM GMT
Check the PERSI Index at Google. It should take you to the Allen Co Public Library which has an extensive collection of genealogy-related articles from all over the US.

Posted: 8 Jul 2007 4:16AM GMT
Surnames: Bell, Cottrell, Clark, Horton, Brewster
My great grandfather x4 is Nathan Clark Bell, born in Cornwall, Orange Cty, NY 3/10/1808, died 4/9/1890 and buried at City Island Cemetary, NY.

His daughter Amanda Matilda Bell Weaver Harris (1842 - 9/20/1897) is buried in Flushing Cemetery in a family plot with both her first husband, Charles Solomon Weaver , her second, my greatgrandather x3, Stephen Augustis Harris (10/27/1844 - 7/25/1984) and most of her children as well as some siblings. My mother and her parents are also buried there.

Nathan moved his family to Pelham, Westchester Cty, circa 1846. His brother Moses followed sometime after 1850 with his family. Census records show them all there until it became part of the Bronx, NY up to the latest, 1930.

I have traced Nathan back to Isaac and Jemima and believe his fathers name to be William, although I have nothing to base this on other than the fact that he is the only Bell listed on the 1790 Cornwall census and has a son of the right age to be Isaac. In the 1800 census, Isaac appears as the only Bell and William appears to have died ... or whatever. Not a whole lot, but I've started out with less!

I also show a third brother, Isaac, who appears to have died between 1840 - 1850 leaving several young children who appear with Nathan and Moses in Pelham. It appears as though his widow married Benjamin Wise and kept her 2 youngest in Cornwall. There is also a fourth brother that I identified as Charles so it was surprising to see the name Francis as he never appears anywhere in Cornwall in my research.

Hope that helps you. Any info you can give me is greatly appreciated. I'm really trying to find out about Esther Cottrell (11/11/1803-8/6/1847), who was Nathans first wife and mother to my Amanda. A One World Tree listing says she was born in Manasquan, NJ but I have run into a brick wall. Nathan, by the way, married Levina (who was married to Orin Forham of Pelham) after Esther's death and had several more children with her. The name Horton also figures in as they too moved from Cornwall and became prominent in Pelham. There's lots of Clarks, Hortons and Brewsters intermarried.

I would love to know about any of the Bell daughters of age to marry prior to the 1850 census as I don't have first names for the girls. Sorry I can't give you more than a "possibility to explore" on the William vs John.

Posted: 8 Jul 2007 4:25PM GMT
Hi ! I'm related as you see on the first post . Havent done much but, I'm hitting the trail again this fall

Posted: 9 Jul 2007 2:36AM GMT
Surnames: Bell, Clark,
Hi Wanda, Do you have any more information on Jemima Clark ... specifically her father's name ... or any other info would be great.

Linda
Ft Lauderdale, FL
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.