Search for content in message boards

Michael Hawkins, Loyalist

Michael Hawkins, Loyalist

Alan H. Hawkins (View posts)
Posted: 19 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Jan 2004 5:12PM GMT
Surnames: Hawkins, Brewer, Todd, Yerxa
Seeking correspondence from descendants of Michael Hawkins, Loyalist, who came to St. Mary's (now Parish of Douglas) York Co., N.B. in 1783. He married Ellena Brewer of New York and they had at least two children, John Michael Hawkins (1786-1877) who married Nancy Todd, daughter of Mix and Ruth (____) Todd and lived in Keswick; and Sarah who married John Yerxa and also lived in Keswick. Compiling genealogy; already have 550+ pages of manuscript. Any contact with descendants appreciated.

Re: Michael Hawkins, Loyalist

Paula Corey (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jul 2001 10:48PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jan 2004 5:12PM GMT
Surnames: Hawkins, Pickard
Believe that Margaret Hawkins, born in 1787, died in Lake George, York County in 1881, married Humphrey Pickard II, was related to Michael Hawkins. Can you confirm?

James Scott (View posts)
Posted: 1 Aug 2001 10:57PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jan 2004 5:13PM GMT
Surnames: Pickard, Kelly
Paula, I have been trying to find any ancesters of Margaret Pickard , born 1833, who married James Kelly, born 1824. Their son, Thomas Kelly, would be my greatgrandfather. I know that Thomas Kelly's daughter, my grandmother, Mary Kelly, was born in Lake George, York, New Brunswick. Could this be a connection to your Humphrey Pickard from Lake George ?

Paula Corey (View posts)
Posted: 1 Aug 2001 11:17PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jan 2004 5:14PM GMT
Surnames: Pickard
Hi, yes, all those Pickards were from the Lake George area. I will look in my Pickard database and see if I can come up with your Margaret. The name Margaret ran through the Pickrad women (my grandmother, for instance, was Margaret Pickard). You do know, I assume, that the Pickard line at Lake George derived from Humphrey and Moses Pickard, planters from Massachusetts?

James Scott (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 2001 11:14PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jan 2004 5:14PM GMT
Surnames: Pickard
Hi Paula, I really have very little information about the Pickards in my father's line. The only name I have is Margaret who was born on 14 Aug 1833 and died in 1872. If I can be of any help with research in Massachusetts, I'd be glad to help you. Do you know where in Mass. Humphrey and Moses lived ? Also I hope to get back to the Lake George, Magundy, Prince William area of New Brunswick this September. You may e-mail me directly at jnkscott@gis.net, if you would prefer. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me with Margaret's family. -- Jim Scott

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 10:39PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jan 2004 5:15PM GMT
Surnames: Yerxa, Hawkins, Brower, Todd
Hello distant cousin! Sarah Hawkins and "James" (not John) Yerxa were my G.G. grandparents. They married 8 July 1817.
Michael Hawkins m. Eleanor "Brower", of New York and they had 8 children. The first child was "John Michael Hawkins", who married Nancy Todd.
My Aunt did 15 years of research on the Yerxa family in America back to 1651. There's some basic info. about Michael Hawkins in our family history.

Posted: 12 Dec 2007 10:31PM GMT
I have a family tree descending from Michael Hawkins, Loyalist to present day and I am willing to share information. I can't seem to get past Michael Hawkins however. There are some sketcy aspects to his first official land petition.

The first official mention of a Hawkins in N.B. was when a Michael Hawkins petitioned for land in 1778. He was petitioning for land because he claimed he was a Loyalist who fought for the King but in turn was exiled from New Jersey after the Declaration of Independence was signed. As reward for showing alleagence to the King, these Loyalist’s were granted land in N.S. and N.B. and P.E.I. by the British. His formal petition is below:

To His Excellency
Thomas Carleton Esquire
Lieut. Governor and Commander in Chief over the Province of New Brunswick
Chancellor & Vice Admiral of the same &c &c &c

The Memorial of Micheal Hawkins
Most Humble Sheweth,

"That your memorialist is a Native of New Jersey but Join'd the Royal Army early in the late Rebellion and in 1777 engaged in Major Ward's Company of Refugees and in the defense of the Block House he received a wound from which he was disabled for nine months. That he emigrated to this Country in the May Fleet 1783."

"That your memorialist has never obtained any Land whatsoever from Government but as Lott No. 10 the Madam Rishvie Granted to Robert McCargo, but is now unoccupied by the death of said Robert McCargo last Spring. Your memorialist Humble pray's that Your Excellency would be pleas'd to assign said Lott to Your Memorialist and his Quota of Land."
St. Mary's
1st of May 1788

Seems a reasonable request right? I have had a hard time finding any record of this Michael Hawkins in New Jersey. You see because lots of people these days are in to researching their family a lot of info is available on the internet. Public records are now in electronic form making it easy to do a digital trail. I couldn’t find a Michael Hawkins in any of Major Ward’s muster calls, nor could I find him on any of the passenger lists of people that were on the spring fleet. I came across a N.B. Geneology website in which there is a lot of info on these Loyalist’s and research on their family name in and around the Fredericton area. There is even a guy that wrote a book on the New Jersey Loyalist’s and Major Ward’s men. I happen to get a hold of this guy and this is what he e-mailed to me yesterday. Keep in mind what Michael Hawkins wrote in his petition.

Hi Jaime

There are some problems with Michael's 1788 petition, notably that he claims to have enlisted under Major Thomas Ward in 1777. That would have been quite impossible, as the corps which Ward commanded did not exist until 1780, and Ward himself was not major until 1781. The most famous action of the corps was the defense of a blockhouse built at Bull's Ferry, New Jersey, across from New York City. However, no one by the name of Hawkins appears on either of two lists of defenders of that post at the time of the battle on 21 July 1780, or on two subsequent lists dated March 1782. There was someone in the 1780 battle named Michael Heagan, which is in the neighborhood, but he was not wounded in the attack. There are two partial lists of men who left for Nova Scotia in 1782 under Ward, and no Hawkins there. Most of the Refugees who served under Ward sailed from Staten Island for Nova Scotia in October 1782.

There were several blockhouses built and manned by Ward's corps, and several actions involving them. Without Hawkins listing a date however, it is impossible to say which action he is referring to.

As to the reference to the New York Volunteers, I believe that refers to wanting land that had been allocated to that corps, but not fully occupied. That was a common occurrence. The only Hawkins in the New York Volunteers was a Samuel Hawkins who served in the corps until he deserted on 27 June 1783
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.