Search for content in message boards

Joseph Butler (d. 1811), relatives & descendnts

Joseph Butler (d. 1811), relatives & descendnts

Scott Butler (View posts)
Posted: 11 Apr 2004 5:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Butler
This is an UPDATE of an old posting. I am a descendent of Joseph Butler, Sr. + Elizabeth Burley through his son Benjamin Butler (who helped found Mt. Vernon, OH), and then through his son, Joseph K. Butler who married Mary Polly Biggs and settled in New Castle across the county line in Coshocton Co. I would be interested in exchanging information and research with any relatives or descendents connected to Joseph Sr. or his children: sons (James, John, Joseph Jr., Isaac, Thomas, Benjamin), daughters ??. Also, Joseph had a brother, Thomas Butler (a Jr.) who is seems to have spent some time in Wayne Co. (later Holmes Co.) with his sons (Jonathan, a Thomas (III)).

Joseph's son John settled in Knox Co. in the Mohican area just over the border. Joseph's son James Butler was nearby. Joseph's son Thomas settled in Jefferson Twp., Coshocton Co. after spending sone time in the Canal Lewisville area. Benjamin was with Thomas in the Canal Lewisville area (Coshocton Co.) and them moved to Knox Co. where he helped found Mt. Vernon. Joseph's son Joseph Jr. seems to have been in the New Castle area (Coshocton Co.)and later may have moved away - this is unclear. Isaac drowned in 1809, but left two daughters who were provided for in Joseph's will. There were several daughters, too. There are other connections (e. g., a Thomas Butler Lewis present in the area).

Some descendents later moved to Indiana & Illinois & likely further west in the early-mid 1800s. Know to have moved are some of Joseph Jr's sons (Thomas J. Butler, etc.), Thomas's sons (Jonathan, Hoah, etc.)

I have much info of interest to descendents: photos of gravesite of Joseph Sr., photos of gravestone of Thomas (son of Joseph) which I recently uncovered; an original copy of the 1862 History of Knox Co. by Norton which has some first hand accounts and even a good drawing of Ben Butler, some will transcriptions, etc..
--Scott Butler

Re: addendum to Joseph Butler (d. 1811), relatives & descendents (VA, then OHIO early 1800s)

Scott Butler (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 2004 10:26AM GMT
I thought I should add that this Joseph Butler Sr. was born in Virginia in 1742, a son of a Thomas Butler & Jane Gilbert, & was of Irish descent. This Thomas Sr. was killed by Indians circa 1763-1764 in Cedar Creek, VA. Joseph Sr. moved to NW Virginia (Monongalia Co.) sometime around 1770-1780. His brother, Thomas (Jr.) built a fort in that area around 1772 (from memory - have copy of map of area showing fort location). In early 1800s, Joseph Sr. & sons moved to western Coshocton Co. & eastern Knox Co., Ohio area & settled. There are MANY descendents. A brother of Joseph Sr., Thomas (Jr.) and his son, Jonathan seemsto have moved to Wayne Co. (eventually Holmes Co.) just to the north at the same time. Another son of Thomas Jr. (Thomas III) also lived in this area.

A younger brother of Joseph Sr., James, was taken captive by Indians when the father was killed and eventually freed by Col. Bouquet's expedition to the area of Ohio that became Coshocton (INTERESTING COINCIDENCE per later settlement of Joseph Sr. ???)

Re: addendum to Joseph Butler (d. 1811), relatives & descendents (VA, then OHIO early 1800s)

Posted: 25 Apr 2004 6:41AM GMT
Hi Scott,
I was looking at your query and wondered if any of these men had a son named Bazzell Butler. He was my gg-grandfather. He was born in Indiana about 1820. He has been my brick wall.
Thanks,
Judy

Scott E. Butler (View posts)
Posted: 25 Apr 2004 1:02PM GMT
Judy, the earliest Indiana connection I have identified is a Jonathan Butler (b. 1776 or so, oldest son of Thomas Butler who was borther of my Joseph Butler, Sr). He seems to have moved to Marshall Co., Indiana between 1830 and 1840. So I don't have any good ideas for your Bazzell. Sounds like he migrated directly to Indiana. I haven't seen any Bazzell/Basil's in the area of the ones I track - just an unknown Ignatius Butler in the 1782 Virginia census in Monongalia Co., so have nothing to help.

Leslie Butler (View posts)
Posted: 28 Apr 2004 12:58AM GMT
Scott, RE: Ignatious Butler
I take it you were unable to connect Joseph to Ignatius (also spelled Ignatious). Ignatious Butler is my earliest proven Butler ancestor. He is certainly not unknown and there are a significant number of people who trace their ancestry back to Ignatious Butler. He is credited with having served in the Revolutionary war as a matross (ammunition bearer) and he is also credited with being a scout on the Pennsylvania frontier. He left the Cheat River and settled in what is now Bath County Kentucky.

We know much about him because he was literate and left a small notebook listing his brothers, sons and daughters. A quasi family bible. I have seen documents indicating that his sons and grandsons were also literate in an era when literacy was not common. It would be interesting to compare notes. It is difficult to believe that they were not related.

Posted: 28 Apr 2004 10:09AM GMT
Re literacy, I have seen a reference that the household goods of Joseph Butler, Sr.'s father, Thomas Butler contained books. I will send you a separate email as it would be good to connect the two.

Margaret Carr Clark (View posts)
Posted: 1 Dec 2004 3:23AM GMT
Surnames: Butler, Dunn, Fielding, Scott
Just found this information in my parents genealogy files. Does any of it fit in to the line you are speaking of? All these individuals would have been in or close to Bath County, Ky.

Best O'lean Dunn b. 1898 (My Grandmother)
Rufus Dunn b. 1868 d. ? m. Nancy King
Thomas J. Dunn b. 1840 m. 11/28/1866 Deliah Frances Butler b. 1846 d.?
Stephen Dunn b. 1793 d.? M. ? Agness Fielding b. 1802

Under Deliah Frances Butler it has
Ignatious Butler b. 1813, Ky M. 8/23/1837 Bath Co., Ky to Hester Ann Scott b. 1824, Ky
Thanks!
Margaret Carr Clark

Posted: 4 Dec 2004 1:01PM GMT
It certainly looks like you have a connection to Leslie Butler's line. It doesn't seem like there is anything other than a connection in place and time between his line and my Joseph Butler line. You should contact him as he has since successfully found a DNA match with another Butler line.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.