Search for content in message boards

South Carolina Barfields

South Carolina Barfields

Posted: 7 Apr 2003 1:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 May 2003 1:56AM GMT
Surnames: Barfield
I am still looking for information about Thomas and Rebecca Barfield. They were born about 1857 and were share croppers.
I think they lived in Marlboro County, but moved around to other surrounding counties. Their children included: Jesse, Ernest, Tommy, Lilly, Mary, and Tennessee. I think there were
other children, also. Jesse died in Dillon, S.C. in 1960. Tennessee married Lee Butler and died in 1929, in Robeson Co.,N.C. I have done everything I can think of to try to find descendents, including phone calls and letters to random
Barfields all over S.C. Can anyone please help?

Re: South Carolina Barfields

Posted: 8 Apr 2003 7:54PM GMT
Edited: 26 Oct 2003 2:45PM GMT
Share croppers? I have alot of Barfield History. They started out in N.C. Migrated down to S.C. None I know were share croppers. Where did that info come from? To start with they were in Marion county. Barret{Barney] Barfield married a lady of french lineage and had 28 children. The library in your town can get the book titled "History of Marion County" Sellars is the author. My mother was Margaret Barfield her parents Marion P. and Clara Miller Barfield. He was born in Manning S.C. her in Hinton West Virginia. She went to college in N.C.He moved to Florence and started Barfield's Used Parts and Cox Fitz Motors also. He had 11 or 12 brothers and sisters he had to help take care off when his father died at 42 of a massive heart attack. His father ran a plant down in Alcalu near Manning that made huge saw blades. Marion was next to the oldest so he moved the family to Florence. His Mother was Maureecer Raffield{Raphal] Her family was pretty well off and did not like the idea of her having so many children. They were well educated and pushed for all the girls to go to college in Columbia to become nurses which they did. From Margaret>Marion>Thomas to John Jefferson Barfield who had at least 3 brothers and 2or 3 sisters. He was the Sheriff of Manning and the Santee area. His wife was Betsy{Elizabeth] Hodge. There graves are at the cem.outside of Manning. Most of the names there are related to them. Ridgeway, Haley, Dubose, etc. I have a lot of info and a picture of Thomas Jefferson Barfield who looks like the actor W.C. Fields who was in early movies. In my research I found the reason a lot of the family left the county [Marion]was because they were tories! Ha! One had enlisted in the revolutionary war or one of the wars and his commanding officer did something he didn't like . He left and went back to Marion and Marlboro Counties rounding up family members to stop supplies going to Charleston. Hell raisers! I like that! Where do you live? I live close to Lake Murray on the other side of Lexington. I spent 6 months going back and forth to Florence to get my mothers estate in order. Do you know where McQueen St. is near Sexton's Dental Clinic? The house num. was 413. Anyway you should look in the History books a Jesse Barfield was also listed as a Tory kin to Barret Barfield. Let me hear from you!

Posted: 9 Apr 2003 12:59PM GMT
Edited: 12 May 2003 1:56AM GMT
Thanks so much for your reply!! I enjoyed reading it. Your
Barfields sound very interesting! I am not related to the Barfields, but am trying to do this for an elderly uncle by marriage. His mother was a Barfield, before she married into the Butler family. She died when he was 3 months old and his father quickly remarried. The step-mother burned all the
pictures that they had, and they moved away. My uncle
never knew what his mother looked like. I would like to find someone in their Barfield line that has a picture of her, and would be willing to let me have a copy. I would gladly reimburse. Her name was Tennessee Barfield Butler. Please let me know if you ever run across this name!! These Barfields were just quiet, little farmers and were poor. I live in Rockingham, N.C. Don't know much about Florence, S.C.
and all I know about Lexington is that it is a great place to get barbeque!! Thanks again for trying to help!
Wanda

Posted: 11 Oct 2009 4:31PM GMT
MY G,G, G, G GRANDMOTHER WAS SALLIE ANN BARFIELD, HER FATHER WAS THOMAS E. BARFIELD, SALLIE WAS BORN IN 1862, HER MOTHER WAS LOUISE BROWDER, SALLIE MARRIED COLON ARD AND HAD 7 OR 8 CHILDREN, HER SON, JOHN HENRY ARD IS MY GRANDFATHER, HIS SON RICHARD LEE ARD IS MY FATHER. I AM TRYING TO GET SOME INFO ON THOMAS E. BARFIELD'S PARENTS ON BACK. THOMAS E BARFIELD WAS KILLED DURING THE CIVIL WAR. I NEED HELP TYING THOMAS'S PARENTS IN TO THE FAMILY. I BELIEVE THEY WERE FROM THE WILLIAMSBURG, CLARENDON OR SUMTER AREA'S PLEASE RESPOND THANKS, THOMAS M. ARD.

Posted: 14 Oct 2009 2:41AM GMT
Surnames: BARFIELD RIDGEWAY CAPPS STUKES SHORTER
THOMAS, WE ARE STILL FINDING THINGS OUT. I FOUND THEM TO BE IN MARION COUNTY ALSO. BARRET BARFIELD ACTUALLY HAD 2 WIVES AND 20 SOMETHING CHILDREN. YES THEY WERE IN WILLIAMSBURG TOO.MY GRANDFATHER WAS MARION PRESSLEY BARFIELD> THOMAS JEFFERSON BARFIELD> JOHN JEFFERSON BARFIELD> H. JAMES BARFIELD. ONE OF JOHN JEFFERON BARFIELDS SISTERS MARRIED INTO THE HATFIELDS IN WILLIAMSBURG CTY. THE MCBRIDE FAMILY HAS BARFIELD ROOTS TOO. OTHER NAMES IN THE FAMILY RIDGEWAY,HODGE,CAPPS,MILLER{GRANDMOTHERS MAIDEN NAMES.
STUKES, RAFFIELD{RAFAEL, SHORTER, OSBORN, ERVIN, MARION AND MANY OTHERS. WHERE ARE YOU FROM? THAT MAY GIVE ME A LEAD AS TO WHICH WAY TO LOOK.. THERE ARE NUMEROUS BARFIELDS IN GEORGIA, ALABAMA, FLORIDA THAT MIGRATED FROM SC. THERE ARE ARDS IN LEXINGTON SC.

Posted: 19 Oct 2009 10:36AM GMT
I AM FROM THE TOWN OF GREELEYVILLE, SOUTH CAROLINA, THIS IS IN WILLIAMSBURG COUNTY. SALLIE ANN BARFIELD MARRIED MY G GRANDFATHER COLON ARD. SHE LIVED IN THE TOWN OF GREELEYVILLE UNTIL HER DEATH IN 1937. HER FATHER WAS THOMAS E. BARFIELD, HE WAS IN THE CIVIL WAR IN THE 25TH REGIMENT COMPANY K ALONG WITH JOHN ARD WHO WAS COLON'S FATHER. THEY WERE BOTH KILLED IN THE CIVIL WAR. I AM NOW LIVING IN THE TOWN OF DENVER, N.C. WE DO HAVE SOME DISTANT COUSINS LIVING IN THE COLUMBIA, LEXINGTON AREA.

Posted: 28 May 2012 6:43PM GMT
My line of Barfields were share croppers, and I'm from Marlboro County, SC. Unfortunately, I'm new at this and have yet to uncover the names mentioned.

Posted: 28 May 2012 6:45PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
My line of Barfields were share croppers, and I'm from Marlboro County, SC. Unfortunately, I'm new at this and have yet to uncover the names mentioned.

Posted: 13 Jul 2012 11:12AM GMT
My great grandma was Lettie Mae Barfield, does that ring a bell?

Posted: 30 Jan 2014 10:14PM GMT
My name is marion barfield my grandfather was Thomas the youngest brother to marion p barfield
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.