Search for content in message boards

Hidden Wexford Genealogy, Co. Wexford, Free Genealogy Website for Wexford Institutions

Hidden Wexford Genealogy, Co. Wexford, Free Genealogy Website for Wexford Institutions

Posted: 17 Mar 2008 9:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Dear Fellow Genealogist,

Happy St Patrick's Day!

I invite you to visit my new genealogy website, Hidden Wexford Genealogy...

http://kilmoregenealogy.com/hidden_wexford_genealogy/index.h...

The site is launched today and holds free genealogical information from Wexford institutions - from the schools to the dreaded Workhouse (including a load of births). I hope you will find it useful.

Best wishes

Rachel Darlington

Re: Hidden Wexford Genealogy, Co. Wexford, Free Genealogy Website for Wexford Institutions

Posted: 26 Mar 2008 9:51PM GMT
Hi Rachel
I read all the information on your genealogy website and found it very interesting. I note that your ggrandfather was Michael Byrne, I have recently found out that my gggrandmother's name was Mary Byrne as some members of our family visited Wexford and found the baptismal record of my ggrandmother Anastasia Saunders, it shows her mother as Mary Byrne and her godparents as being Philip and Anastasia Byrne. Mary was on the 1901 census, in Fishers Rowe, with her husband Nicholas Saunders, a pilot, both aged 76 so would have been born in 1825. I was wondering if you had any information on your gggrandfather Miles Byrne's siblings? Thanking you in anticipation Ann

Re: Hidden Wexford Genealogy, Co. Wexford, Free Genealogy Website for Wexford Institutions

Posted: 26 Mar 2008 11:14PM GMT
Hello Ann
Thank you for your post and interest in my Miles Byrne.
My Miles Byrne was born circa 1839 and was a sailor. He was dead by 1904. I have not found his death cert.
I have spent a long time researching my Miles Byrne and have very little to show for it.
What I do know is that Miles' father was a labourer, also called Miles, but he was dead (the father) by 1871. Can you trace your Mary's father name?
Besides this I know that my Miles was not born in Wexford Town. He was also not born in the county of Wicklow (cost me a bit to ascertain that). My search to discover his birth somewhere in County Wexford goes on.
So, sorry, I have not much to offer here. I don't even have Byrnes turning up as sponsors to family weddings or baptisms in Wexford that I might offer up some names.
Rachel

Posted: 26 Mar 2008 11:42PM GMT
Hi Rachel
Thanks for your reply. I am still researching my Mary so will try and find a baptismal record, hopefully in Wexford Town and see if I can get her father's name. Perhaps Byrne was a popular surname in County Wexford, so making it harder to trace our particular ancestors. I will let you know when and if I find any information. Ann

Posted: 28 Mar 2008 3:04PM GMT
Hi Ann

I think you will find more than one Mary Byrne in the parish records. A more fail-safe way would be to find Mary's marriage record but I guess she married pre 1864?
Do let me know if you find anything else.
Thanks
Rachel

Posted: 29 Mar 2008 10:36PM GMT
Hi Rachel
You are quite right, it would be best to get Mary Byrne's marriage from the parish records to get her father's name. My ggrandmother Anastasia Saunders was born in 1849 when her parents would have been both aged 24 years so I could go back from there. I know she had a sister Catherine born after her in 1855 and 3 brothers James, Nicholas and Patrick but I don't know whether any were older than her so I will look from 1849 back.
By the way I would just like to tell you that I went to St. James's school, the same as your grandfather. Do you still have any relatives in Liverpool?
I will close for now. Kind regards Ann

Posted: 30 Mar 2008 10:39AM GMT
Hi Ann

That's great to hear that you went to St James. Mind you, it had probably changed a bit since when my granddad went. I don't know a lot about it - presumably it was single sex back in 1910 but moved with the times? I spent some time trying to get my granddad's school record from St James but met with no success.

I contacted Crosby Library and they said that they didn't have St James' school records and that St James amalgamated with All Saints in 2007 and that, if the records survive, they will be held at All Saints (All Saints, Chesnut Grove, Bootle, Merseyside, L20 4LX). I duly wrote to this address but never got a reply. I should follow it up with another letter before I give up completely.

I have an uncle and cousin living in Cheshire nowadays (which isn't too far away from Liverpool). Last spring I went on a trip to Liverpool (first time ever) and visited my uncle. My uncle had ended up with all the old family photos and, since then, has put a lot of time and effort into scanning them for me. He also had some invaluable information. My family in Cheshire is not interested in genealogy but my uncle has had his interest kindle a little by me.

I did get a lot of valuable information about my ancestors' time in Liverpool through an internet acquaintance. I researched his family in Wexford and he looked up obits in Liverpool and even went and took photos for me (which was beyond the call of duty). It was really a brilliant arrangement.

By the way, the Maritime Museum in Liverpool was really amazing - the highlight of my trip last spring.

I think I've taken up enough space on the Wexford Board, rabbiting on about Liverpool. But, thanks for asking, Ann.

By the way, I'm always looking for another research exchange with someone who will visit the National Archive in Kew for me (those illusive mariner records). Had hoped to go myself this spring but it's not happening.

Rachel

Posted: 30 Mar 2008 11:18PM GMT
Hi Rachel
St. James school was still single sex when I attended but eventually became mixed. I contacted the priest at St. James, Father Gerry O'Shaughnessy, over a year ago about a parish record for a death in the early part of the 1900's but he told me that some records were destroyed during the war. If you want I could find out if the school records survived or would you prefer to write again yourself?
It's great that your uncle could provide you with so much information, sometimes it's worth asking other members of the family as that is how we got a copy of a photograph( which we didn't know existed) of my ggrandfather, James Smyth, who was a ship's captain in Wexford.
I am glad that you enjoyed your time in Liverpool, the Maritime Museum is great. Regarding the National Archive in Kew do you know if they hold all the records for Wexford ships and sailors? I will close for now Rachel Regards Ann

Posted: 1 Apr 2008 5:14PM GMT
Hi Ann

Before 1922 Ireland was part of the United Kingdom therefore Irish mariner records were recorded in the same way as other UK ones. On independence some records, notably crew lists for Irish registered vessels & the death at sea register, were sent to the National Archive of Ireland. I guess the Irish element could not easily be extracted from a lot of the mariner records because they remain in UK. The seamen's register is in Kew, for example.

Ann, if it's not too much trouble then I would appreciate your finding out about the school records.

Best wishes

Rachel

Posted: 2 Apr 2008 1:11PM GMT
Surnames: PATRICK
Hi Rachel:
Recently I received the following information and wondered if you had an tips as to where I can find out more about it. The information came from "Memoirs of the Irish Rebellion of 1798" by Sir Richard Musgrave. It said:
PATRICK, Michael - executed in the town of Wexford for the crimes of rebellion....between 21 Jun 1798-18 December 1800.
Any help/suggestions about Michael would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.
Bonnie Patrick
Elora, Ontario, Canada
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.