Search for content in message boards

looking for moffats

looking for moffats

Posted: 2 Jan 2011 6:08PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: moffat
Hi, my names amy moffat and im 18 years old, my father is Alex Moffat and he has a brother david moffat, my grandfather was also david moffat and he was married to helen simpson, my grandmother, just wondering if anyone has any other imformation or what that could relate to anyone? if theres any other moffats out there thats related to me.

addicional info ..

Posted: 2 Jan 2011 6:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
forgot to add a few other details, my grandfathers mother was called jessie im sure, and all lived in the rutherglen area of glasgow, hopes this helps abit more to get some more information.

Re: addicional info - Moffat/Moffatt Family of Scotland and Ireland

Posted: 3 Jan 2011 5:23PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jan 2011 5:19PM GMT
Surnames: Moffat, Moffatt
Amy, where was your Moffat family from? My Robert and Mary Moffat had a daughter, Elizabeth Moffat, born about 1814 in Tullylig, Stewartstown, Cookstown, County. Tyrone, Ireland. I don't know anything more about Robert and Mary but believe they were from Scotland. I believe, but have no proof that they had a son George born about 1810 in Scotland. Elizabeth Moffat was my great great grandmother. I have information on her, but can't seem to find out about her parents.

Any chance my Moffat's tie in with yours?

Many thanks,
Joan R. Plantinga
San Jose, CA

Moffats of Rutherglen

Posted: 3 Jan 2011 10:19PM GMT
Hi Amy,

My Moffats came from Galston and Motherwell, both mining districts south of Glasgow. My Robert, Alex and Catherine lived in these areas in the 1820-50. Unfortunately, there were alot of Moffat of these names in and around Glasgow at that time. I'll do some research on the Rutherglen connection and see what I can find.

Posted: 4 Jan 2011 3:23PM GMT
Hi Joan,
i have been trying to trace a Robert Moffatt that was born in Ireland. No idea where. He was Presbyterian. On one census I thought he said his parents were born in Scotland.
He Imigrated to Quebec Canada in 1834 or 1839 it was hard to read. I could find no other family members that might have come with him. It seems like most of the children were named after his wife's family as I found quite a bit of info on them. Any clues would be appreciated.

Posted: 5 Jan 2011 5:15PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jan 2011 4:50PM GMT
Surnames: Moffat, Moffatt
I don't have much on my Moffat/Moffatt family. Only that his name was Robert Moffatt, his wife was Mary, and they were the parents of Elizabeth Moffat (Bessie). Bessie was baptized in the Parish of Donaghenry, County Tyrone, Northern Ireland in 1814. Older members of the family, now deceased, indicated that Bessie was born in Scotland, but I believe she was born in Ireland. I am sure the parents were born in Scotland.

A family story is that Bessie (Lady Moffat) was the daughter of a wealthy land owner in Scotland and she ran off to Ireland with the coachman. As with many family stories, I have never been able to find any fact in this story.

Please contact me directly at plantinga@aol.com so we can explore Robert Moffat more thoroughly.

Posted: 6 Jan 2011 4:56PM GMT
I am not sure I can help you My father was Bertrand alexander Moffat his brothers were Bill and John they also were of Scotland/Ireland. My father was married to Helen Annabelle Spencer. Still trying to put it all together
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.