Search for content in message boards

Riley Smith of Ark and Texas

Riley Smith of Ark and Texas

Judy Womack (View posts)
Posted: 18 Apr 2000 3:31PM GMT
Looking for family of Riley and Aury Smith listed in 1850 census of Marion Co., Ark. with children William Booker, Cathrine, Mary Jane, Jefferson, and George. Believe another sibling was Addaline who married Joseph Cunningham and was listed next door in 1850.

Re: Riley Smith of Ark and Texas

Suzanne Carden (View posts)
Posted: 22 May 2004 3:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tillery,Smith
I have a Riley Smith in my family who married Aury {Mary} L. Tillery. They had about 13 children including Wm Booker, Catherine, Mary Jane, Jefferson & George. Yates Publication Archives on Ancestry.com show Aury {Mary} L. Tillery as Choctaw/Cheyenne Indian. They show her mother as Rachel {last name?} married to Wiley Tillery. I can't find anything on Wiley & I don't know Rachel's last name . I also cannot find anything on Aury; did she go by Mary? What does the L. stand for?
To make sure we are talking about the same people, I have Riley born 1805 in GA & died in 1900 in GA. Aury was born in 1808 {NC or KY} and died in 1896 in Bibb Co., AL.
Do you know anything about Aury's mother? I assume this is where the Indian comes in as Tillery is an English name.

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 9:23PM GMT
Please email concerning this ancestory. I have alot of information to share.

Posted: 31 Jan 2007 10:51PM GMT
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I was so frustrated a few years back, that I took some time off from the whole "mess".

Do these names mean anything to you? Uriah Smith, Martha "Mattie" Smith and Martha J. Ashworth?

Let's try to find out if we have a connection.
Thank you!!!

Posted: 25 Feb 2007 3:53AM GMT
Surnames: McCulley, Smith, Thrasher, Ashworth
Uriah Smith is buried in my Grandmother's front yard in downtown West Blocton, AL. His wife, Martha J. Ashworth Smith is buried near my boyfriend's family property, in the "Ashworth-Thrasher Family Plot". Uriah has a nice little memorial and historical signage citing him as the man who founded the town.

I am a descendant of Thursday Mahala Smith from her marriage to my great-great-great grandfather, Ephraim McCulley. Feel free to contact me at kmcculley@moonlightinvestigations.net

Posted: 12 Jul 2007 1:47AM GMT
Surnames: Smith/Tillery
Most of the Tillery families if from Ark probably settled into the panhandle of Texas which is around the Wichita Falls, Texas area. The Tillery family I know of lived in Vernon, Texas, of which some of the families still live as of today. My great grandmother's name is either Stadie or Statie Tillery. Stadie Tillery married Henry Smith of which there might have been 11 children. The Tillery family owned a large tract of land in this area. The children's names were Vivian, Pearl, Wayne, DD, Woodrow, and Tinney. The other names I don't remember. I think there is a Robert Tillery that still lives in Vernon, Texas, which is kin to the above line of Tillery/Smith. My usual email is unm2010@yahoo.com

Posted: 7 Apr 2008 6:23PM GMT
Surnames: smith, tillery, lewis
Hey, this is what I know. Uriah Smith married Martha J. Ashworth on Sept. 7, 1853 and they had 6 children. One of their children's names was Martha Mattie Smith who is my great grandmother. Supposedly, she was 1/4 cherokee so I am trying to find out which side of the family had indian blood. What is Uriah's side? Do you know anything? I was thinking it was Uriah's side as his dad was Riley Smith and his mother was Mary "Aury" Tillery who shows up as being choctaw/cheyenne.

Martha Mattie married twice in life. Her second marriage produced 2 daughters, one of them named Theodora {Theo} Lewis who is my grandmother. One of her 9 children is my mother, Doris Ann Mims.

Any of this sound familiar? I have more info, but just wanted to start w/this.
Hope you are doing well,

Posted: 6 Oct 2008 4:17PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Cunningham, Tillery
My ggg-grandfather was Riley Smith, Burnet, TX. If you have a lot of info on this family, could you please send it to me. I read on the message board that you have a lot of info on this family. I would really appreciate it. I have some, but just wanted to see what you have and compare notes.
Thanks so much,
Peggy

Posted: 18 Apr 2009 4:35PM GMT
Surnames: Underwood, Mims
Hi,
Please explain how your Mother Doris Ann Mims is related to William B. Mims who married Minnie V. Mims. What was Martha Mattie's last name? What were the names of her husbands? Could you please give dates if you have them.
Thanks

Posted: 19 Aug 2012 11:01PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Tillery
I am seeking the Riley Smith, b 1806 SC who was in McMinn Co Tn in 1830 and Newton Co Missouri in 1840. By 1850, he was in Marion Co AK with wife Aury and 3 children, one being Catherine, b 1829 Tn who married John Scott.George b 1839 was born in Missouri which would be correct based on census.
I found another Riley Smith near the same age b Ga in Bibb Alabama in 1850 with wife Mary b NC.I am confused as to who married Mary Tillery.
A fellow researcher sent me this several years ago:Moses and Riley Smith are listed in an estate sale in 1829 in Pickens Co SC. According to the sale, Moses Smith Jr. was the husband of the late widow of Robert Boyd, Jr which was correct. I have much info on him. Moses Smith Jr was the brother of my GGG Thomas Harrison Smith b 1825 SC. Both died of old age living next to each other in Dawson Co Yellow Creek, Ga. Thomas came to Ga in 1846 and Moses after the 1850 census for Pickens Co SC. He first moved next to a James Smith 1793 SC in 1860 Cherokee Co Ga. James died before 1870.
I am trying to sort out these 2 Riley Smiths.More than likely mine is the one who migrated to TN into MO and into AK,TX.
Our Smith line has recently matched a Jeremiah Smith who was born in 1773 SC and migrated to Marshall Co. Alabama by 1850.I would like to know if Smith descendants of Riley B. of Llano,TX have participated in the Smith DNA project.
See census records below:
1850 United States Federal Census
Name: Riley Smith
Birth Year: abt 1806
Birthplace: South Carolina
Home in 1850: Marion, Arkansas
Race: White
Family Number: 329
Household Members: Name Age
Riley Smith 44
Aury Smith 42
Catharine Smith 21
Mary Jane Smith 20
Jefferson Smith 17
George Smith 11
Texas, Voter Registration Lists, 1867-1869
about R B Smith
Name: R B Smith
Birthplace: South Carolina
Registry Date: 6 Aug 1867
County: Williamson
Line Number: 506
Archive Name: Texas State Library and Archives
Archive Collection Title: 1867 Voter Registration Lists
Archive Reel Number: 12

1840 United States Federal Census
about Riley Smith
Home in 1840 (City, County, State): Marin, Newton, Missouri
Free White Persons - Males - 5 thru 9: 1
Free White Persons - Males - 10 thru 14: 1
Free White Persons - Males - 30 thru 39: 1
Free White Persons - Females - 5 thru 9: 1
Free White Persons - Females - 10 thru 14: 2
Free White Persons - Females - 30 thru 39: 1
Persons Employed in Agriculture: 1
Persons Employed in Manufacture and Trade: 1
Persons Employed in Navigation of the Ocean: 1
No. White Persons over 20 Who Cannot Read and Write: 1
Free White Persons - Under 20: 5
Free White Persons - 20 thru 49: 2
Total Free White Persons: 7
Total All Persons - Free White, Free Colored, Slaves: 7

1830 United States Federal Census
about Riley Smith
Home in 1830 (City, County, State): McMinn, Tennessee
Free White Persons - Males - Under 5: 2
Free White Persons - Males - 20 thru 29: 1
Free White Persons - Females - 20 thru 29: 1
Free White Persons - Under 20: 2
Free White Persons - 20 thru 49: 2
Total Free White Persons: 4
Total - All Persons (Free White, Slaves, Free Colored): 4
According to his obit, he was in Llano Tx in 1851.
The other Riley and Mary:

1850 United States Federal Census
about Riley Smith
Birth Year: abt 1802
Birthplace: Georgia
Home in 1850: W C River, Bibb, Alabama
Family Number: 476
Riley Smith 48
Mary Smith 42
John R Smith 21
Wm R Smith 18
Theresa M Smith 16
Uriah Smith 12
Mary J Smith 10
Nancy A Smith 8
Rufus Smith 4
Elizabeth Smith 2

1860 United States Federal Census
Age in 1860: 55
Birth Year: abt 1805
Birthplace: Georgia
Home in 1860: West Side Cahaba River, Bibb, Alabama
Post Office: Centreville
Value of real estate: View image
Riley Smith 55 b Ga
Mary Smith 52 b NC
Nancy A Smith 17
Rufus Smith 14
Elizabeth Smith 12
Amanda Smith 10
(The dates of birth and location match the Riley and Mary oof 1850 Bibb Ala, not Riley and Aury of Marion Ak.)
Birth Place: GA
Birth Year: 1802
Spouse Name: Mary Tillery
Spouse
Birth Place: NC
Spouse Birth Year: 1808
Marriage
Year: 1829
Number Pages: 1

Any information would be helpful. Thanks.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.