Search for content in message boards

Beatty middle name/ PA family mid 1850

Beatty middle name/ PA family mid 1850

Posted: 14 Jun 2001 7:08PM GMT
Edited: 5 May 2003 3:36AM GMT
I would like to find out how my grandfather ended up with Beatty as his middle name. He was David Beatty Maxwell and his parents of record were Winfield Maxwell and Kathryn Dawson. Grams was born 6-21-1886 in western PA. Can anyone out there help?
Judy

Re: Beatty middle name/ PA family mid 1850

Posted: 25 Mar 2002 2:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Maxwell, Beatty, Eavenson, Gaines
my Grandmother's Madien on my Mothers side is Jessie Augusta Maxwell (1897-1961), she died in Wilkinsburg, Pa. her father was Jesse Agustus Maxwell (1872-1897) but he's from Hartwell, Ga, both my parents have family that grew up in Pittsburg,PA area. I don't have any brothers of
Jessie Augusta Maxwell but his father was Daniel Johnson Maxwell (1845-1925 Elbert Co., GA) his father Jesse Maxwell.

Brian

Posted: 30 Mar 2003 5:53AM GMT
Edited: 2 May 2004 8:15AM GMT
Has anyone suggested that Beatty might have been a maternal surname?
Or is it possible that David was adopted?
Or that Maxwell was his mother's second husband?

Have you ever seen the old Beatty stone house along Buffalo Creek in Armstrong Co., Pa.?
The Beatty's, in the mid-1800s, owned a grist mill along the creek, and the ruins of the old homestead still were there the last time I looked.

Judy (View posts)
Posted: 30 Mar 2003 6:46AM GMT
Cindy,
Thanks for your response.I had no idea there is (or was) a Beatty stone house. Don't think my mom is aware of it either. I'll have to try to find it on one of our trips from NJ to Ohio. Maybe this Easter.
Back to David BEATTY Maxwell:
maternal surname?--his mom was Kate (Catherine) Dawson.
we do not know her parents
Adopted?--no
mother not married twice
Interesting thing came up other day--there was another David Beatty Maxwell in the Pittsburgh area. This second person may be my David's uncle. (He was born 32 yrs earlier in Scotland or in PA to Scottish parents.) That may take the middle name origin back to Scotland.
Time and effort will tell.

Cecily Campbell-Smith (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2003 7:40PM GMT
I have a David in my Beattie/Beatty line. The family came from Scotland/Ireland. Walter Beattie born 1776 in Ireland emigrated to Ontario about 1821 and claimed that he had a brother somewhere in the US and a sister in Pennsylvania.

Posted: 13 Dec 2006 4:13PM GMT
Surnames: Beatty Rhoads Maxwell
I have a lizzie Maxwell Beatty born 02/10/71.(one of 17 children)Father, James Beatty, Mother Margert Ann Rhoads, they were living in Plymouth Montgomery Pennsylvania from abt 1852. When James arrived from Ireland(abt1842)acoarding to the 1850 census he was living with Margert's family in Whitemarsh, they later moved to Plymouth were James founded The North Conshohocken Stone Quarry. I am unsure how Lizzie got Maxwell as a middle name and was hopeing that you may have gathered some more info on ur Maxwell Family. I would be delighted to share with you all i know about my Beatty Family.

Kenneth John Beattie

Posted: 7 Jul 2007 9:20PM GMT
Surnames: Beatty
this is just a guess on my part-but were you aware that the Sharkey name is tied to the Beatty name- Margaret Sharkey of Roscommon Ireland married Patrick Flanagan. they had a daughter, Margaret Flanagan who Married Adam Harry Beatty (my great grandfather).
not sure if that's the connection, but it provides food for thought.
feel free to contact me at nancybeatty@mac.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.