Search for content in message boards

Josiah & Lydia STEWART

Josiah & Lydia STEWART

Posted: 5 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Nov 2001 8:04PM GMT
Surnames: STEWART, GAMMON, OVERTON
Seeking information on my gr-gr-grandparents Josiah STEWART who married Lydia, her maiden name may have also been STEWART. My gr-grandfather Ashville STEWART married Cordelia OVERTON who was from Pasquotank County, NC. My grandfather Oscar L. STEWART married Lula Malissa GAMMON. With the exception of Cordelia OVERTON they were from old Norfolk County Virginia. Thank you.

Josiah Stewart

Posted: 6 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 7:59PM GMT
I have a Josiah Stewart (b)Dec 1, 1816-(d)May 25, 1867. He married Espy Bedenbaugh. They married Jan. 25, 1842. No other information, and don't know if this could be ancestors of your Josiah, but just passing along information. If you are anyone else connect with my Josiah, I sure would like to correspond with them. This Josiah was a brother to my Joseph Stewart from Newberry Co., SC.

Re: Josiah Stewart

Posted: 10 Mar 2002 8:58PM GMT
Edited: 9 Oct 2002 3:55AM GMT
I have a Daniel Stewart born 3 DEC 1776 in Newberry County. His children include William, Isaac, Daniel (born about 1816), Charity,Margaret, Sarah and Mary. He married Sarah Edmonson. Do you think there may be a connection?

Posted: 10 Mar 2002 10:07PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jul 2002 12:13PM GMT
OOPS!!!! I just noticed that I made a mistake on my June 6, 2001 entry RE: Josiah Stewart. Josiah was a son of Joseph Stewart, NOT a brother. Josiah's brother was Abner Peterson Stewart,(b)1820(my line). Sorry about this mistake.

Posted: 10 Mar 2002 10:24PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jul 2002 12:13PM GMT
I don't know if there is a connection at this point or not because I have not found positive proof of Joseph's parents. Some family say Joseph Stewart(b)Dec. 25, 1792 was the son of a Joseph Stewart. My Joseph Stewart married the widow lady, Elizabeth (Peterson)Goggans. My line continues through their son, Abner Peterson Stewart(b)April 6, 1820 (5 1/2 months before his father, Joseph Stewart died).

According to family information (not proved in documentation by me)my Joseph Stewart was suppose to be a twin to Polly Stewart. It is said Polly married an Ozlin (don't know if that is a given or surname). Hope this does not add more confusion to the Stewart puzzle.

I also noticed a terrible mistake on my June 6, 2001 entry and posted an "OOPS!!!" reply and corrected my error.

Re: Josiah & Lydia STEWART

Posted: 9 Mar 2012 2:15PM GMT
According to Josiah's death record on 5 Jan 1892 he was the son of Jos. and Mary Stewart.
His wife Lydia was indeed a Stewart and was the dau of Solomon Stewart and Dolly Gammon. Lydia died 25 Sep 1872.
Cordelia's father, Arthur Jackson Overton, was the son of Miles Overton of Camden County NC.
I'm interested in where the last name for Cordelia's mother came from :-) You stated in another query that it was Whitehead.

Posted: 21 Jun 2013 10:58PM GMT
Surnames: Stewart, Overton, Gammon.
Sorry that this is quite late; however, I had to stop my family search for awhile. I have Cordelia's mother's name as Elizabeth Whitehurst and Whitehead. No, I do not know which is correct although I have searched.
I have really been searching for information on Josiah Stewart and have been unable to locate his parents and/or death date. Will you please send me the sources you have for this? I gladly appreciate it.

Posted: 21 Jun 2013 11:08PM GMT
Surnames: Stewart, Wright, Brinson, Fulcher
Josiah Stewart is my g-g-g-grandfather and I understand he was the son of a Joseph, not a brother. I'm trying to confirm this information. Also, my g-g-grandfather was Jacob Francis Wright. His daughter Johanna married my g-grandfather, William Tanton Fulcher. And, yes, they did live with their uncle James Brinson for awhile. I am working on this line and will be glad to share and exchange any information. Didn't know my Josiah had been married before, but he was born 1816 and I have him married to Lydia Stewart, Solomon's daughter. Libby, e-mail: ldylouise@cox.net.

Posted: 22 Jun 2013 12:04AM GMT
Josiah's death date comes from the old Norfolk County death register 1870-1896 at the Chesapeake Courthouse. Those records were abstracted and published by Emily L. Walker. On page 246 of her book she lists the entry as being on page 5 line 151 of the register - Josiah Stewart, white, male, died 6 Jan 1892 in Providence Norfolk County of pneumonia at age 77 years. The son of Jos. & Mary Stewart, born in Great Bridge, occupation a laborer, unmarried (he was a widower) with the person giving the information being Jos. Stewart, his son.

Ashwell and Cordelia married in Camden County 10 Dec 1871 and her mother was simply listed as E. Overton. The Overton's lived very near the Whitehurst families in Camden County. Arthur was living in Pasquotank County in the 1850 census with his wife and child but I haven't found a marriage in either Camden or Pasquotank for the first marriage.

Posted: 22 Jun 2013 4:13PM GMT
Surnames: Stewart
Thank you for the information. I'll check to see what info I have on Ashville & Cordelia's marriage and let you know.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.