Search for content in message boards

Elijah Andrew Roark

Elijah Andrew Roark

Dan D. Drake (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Very nice web site. I am looking for more information about the "Elijah Andrew Roark" family. Came to Texas with Steven F. Austin, 1821-22, from Mo. Would like to know, who his parents were/from. Elijah married Cynthia Fisher-1810, ILL. Leo(my GGgrandfather)--Andrew Jackson--Rebecca--born in Mo. Twins--Lucinda--Louisa--little Andrew (Andy)-- Mary--born in Texas.
Would appreciate any other information. Have made contact with Leo--Andrew Jackson--and Rebeccas--descendants. Would like to hear from the others. Lucinda married a Steven Best--Louisa married a Hudson A. Greenwood. Little Andy--married a Susan Hawkins. Mary died at age seven.
Thanks for any help.

Re: Elijah Andrew Roark

Posted: 9 Jan 2009 10:43PM GMT
Surnames: Roark
Okay. I'm trying very hard to find the link between Elijah Roark who came to Texas with Stephen F. Austin and William Roark-Revolutionary War soldier buried at Cottage Grove Cemetary in Saline Co., Illinois.******
William Roark had a son named Michael.******
Michael had a son he named William.******
I know there is an Elijah Roark in our family that went to Texas, but I am not sure if he's Michael Roark's son or if he is the second William Roark's son.******
Either way, I know this Elijah is a direct descendant of William Roark.******
I'm finding out I come from a long line of very brave men and women who took part in some of our nations most important historical events.******
William Roark-Revolutionary War was pensioned and his Revolutionary War plaque was laid at Cottage Grove cemetary in June of 1930 by the Michael Hillegas Chapter of the DAR. There is at least one female family member Sarah Roark Bellah who was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Since this William Roark was pensioned, this means he went through a thorough process to make sure he was a veteran and he passed.******
William Roark's grandson,Capt. William Roark was a captain in the Union Army, Company F 120th Illinois Volunteer Infantry from 10-29-1862 to 1864. Capt. Roark was part of a prisoner exchange during the Civil War. There is a clipping from the 11/22/1864 Harrisburg (Illinois) Chronicle newspaper that states he was released by the Rebel Exchange Commission at Meridian, Mississippi and the conditions of his parole were that he was to procure the release of one of the eight or ten officers held as prisoners in the United States. If he failed to do so, he was to report back to the Rebels in 30 days. Evidently he was in good health and had a lot of good stories to tell of his capture by the Rebels.******
Capt. Roark went on to become an attorney in ******
You've already found Elijah Roark (one of the original Old 300) and I see you mentioned his sons Leo and Jackson. So, I don't need to tell you of all the pioneering and battles they were involved with.******
I have one miscellaneous name here that I'm trying to link to the Roark family. His name is Anund Charles Roark and he was a Sergeant in the Vietnam War. He was awarded the Medal of Honor. Born on 2-17-1948 in Vallejo, CA. The reason I'm looking to link this brave young man is that Charles is a Roark family name--quite prevalent to this day---my great grandfather was Charles Roark of Saline Co., IL. Also, Anund C. Roark seems to fit the persona of Roarks--brave/joining up to fight. He might possibly be kin to Jackson Roark who ended up heading west in the Gold Rush after his wife passed away in Texas. Jackson did leave one son, James, who lived in Corpus Christi, but Jackson Roark died in California.******
Sorry this is so long. Hope it helps you with your research.

Re: Elijah Andrew Roark

Posted: 30 Dec 2011 3:13AM GMT
Surnames: Roark
Just happened across the note re: Elijah Roark, son Leo, and Sgt. Amund C. Roark of Calif.
I found more info concerning Sgt. Roark, but have failed to find his Roark Line.
Sgt. Roark was told by his wife that she was filing for divorce. Roark returned to Viet Nam. During action, when his unit was under siege, Sgt. Amund C. Roark threw his body on a live Vietnamese hand grenade, sacrificing his life to save the other fellow soldiers in his immediate area. I have found no other information concerning Sgt. Roark, his parents, or his Roark Line. What a brave young man.
My Roark Line is that of Brin (Bryan) Roark (O'Rourke) 1690-1768, his son Timothy, then John Roark (who had two brothers James and Timothy who claimed land in western VA. on the Holston and Clinch Rivers (Beaver Creek), then John Roark (1773-1848) whose brothers and cousins established Roark's Cove in Franklin County, Tennessee.
May contact me: dougroark@att.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.