Search for content in message boards

Need a French to English Translation please help!!

Need a French to English Translation please help!!

Posted: 13 Oct 2011 6:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Oct 2011 4:38AM GMT
Surnames: Demars Lanctot
I have a marriage record of Vital Demars and his wife Marie Lanctot from 1869. I am having very little success translating it. Anyone able to help?

I am most interested in finding if either of the sets of parents names are listed and if Marie has a middle name. But of course a full translation would be much appreciated.

2 page document...starts at bottom right of first and continues on top left of second.

THANK YOU!

-Amy

Re: Need a French to English Translation please help!!

Posted: 14 Oct 2011 2:01PM GMT
Short version of pertinent data:

8 Nov 1869....Vital Demers, farmer, son of legal age of Vital Demers and Julienne Moquin of this parish of this part and Marie Lanctot minor age daughter of Rene Lanctot and Marie Salomee Gibeau of the parish St Isidore of the other part......

Witnesses: Vital Demers father of the groom, Charles Dupras, Pierre Lussier, Joseph Marcil, Rene Lanctot father of the bride, Moyse Patenaude, Cleophas Patenaude and many other friends of the groom.........

Marie Lancot (the bride) signed the register.

"Middle" names per se didn't exist. The given names Marie and Joesph often preceded a given name.

Legal age to marry without consent was 21 after 1783, 25 before 1783.

Posting pages from the Drouin Collection on the boards violates Ancestry's copyright. Post the link the to record in the future.

Posted: 14 Oct 2011 9:45PM GMT
Edited: 14 Oct 2011 9:50PM GMT
"Would you be willing to do another translation for me? This time I am looking at the Drouin record of Vital Demers born 1818. St-Philippe -Laprairie - 1819-1823. Again, I am looking for the parents names."

The first record you want to look for is the marriage record, not the baptism. You confirm the names of the parents in the marriage record first.

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&rank=....

20 Jul 1840, St-Isidore (Laprairie).

Both parties were of age

His parents: Pierre Demers and (deceased) Josephte Boudeau
Her parents: Alexis Moquin and Marie Ste Marie

Now his bap record:

>>Vital Demers born 1818. St-Philippe -Laprairie - 1819-1823<<

Why would a record for someone born in 1818 be in the registers from 1819-1823?

I looked at the record in that register, it's not for the Vital Demers you're researching. This is why you always research the marriage first.

This is the correct bap record: http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&rank=....

Language should not be the barrier to research French Canadian genealogy. It requires a very limited vocabulary that can be learned in short course.

You might find this worth the time: https://www.familysearch.org/learningcenter/results.html?fq=.... There is a good deal of resource to learn how to research on familysearch.org. It's all free, all you need to do is spend the time.

Posted: 16 Oct 2011 1:45AM GMT
Surnames: Moquin
Thank you for the suggestions! i briefly looked at the familysearch stuff and when I have time to sit down and watch them, I will. They look really helpful.

Today I practiced translating the document. I am able to pick out the names from the records but I'm worried I'll miss something important (i.e. the fact that Josephte was deceased - in the last record you translated.)

It took me about an hour to decipher the writing of the first line which I know is always the date. I knew it was 1806 but I wanted to be able to see each word and learn the meaning.

I have been using google translator and looking up french words to help me but I am struggling with the Birth record of Julienne Moquin (parents Alexis and Marie Ste Marie). I couldn't find her birth record at first but then I remembered they almost always name their kids Marie or some family name first. I found her in the Drouin records under Marie Moquin, Born 1820, at St. Constant.

Am I missing something important in this record?

ps. is 'ste marie' a location as a surname? Did they do that?

pps. You are Awesome!!

Posted: 16 Oct 2011 3:16AM GMT
Google translator is a waste of time in regard to these records.

Read this: http://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads/French_Extraction_Gui...

Then use this: http://homepage.mac.com/steveeno/Enaud_Cards/French_Words_fo...

Earlier records are much more of a challenge, practice as much as you can in the 19th century. The formats are relatively consistent.

The use of given names, Marie and Joseph, are extremely common in French Canadian genealogy. They're not specific to the line (s) you're researching.

>>I found her in the Drouin records under Marie Moquin, Born 1820, at St. Constant.<<

>>Am I missing something important in this record?<<

If you post the link to the record, I'll have a look at it.

St/Ste are common in surnames. French Canadian ancestry can be traced to France. As you research further you might be able to learn and pinpoint the origin of the surname.

More to read: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~unclefred/...

Posted: 16 Oct 2011 3:36AM GMT
Surnames: Moquin

Posted: 16 Oct 2011 4:07AM GMT
That's a good example of a standard bap record, and relatively good script.

The parents in that record are Alexis Moquin and Marie Louis Tougas. You need to match BOTH father and mother. Those don't match yours.

Here's a search (see attachment) I did for marriages for Alexis Moguin, you'll see there's more than one that married in a 20 year span search.

There are 50 million entries in the Drouin Collection, using it effectively, even with some vocabulary, takes time.

I understand the desire to get into it, but you need to learn the skill set first.
Attachments:

Posted: 16 Oct 2011 6:12AM GMT
You're right. I'm still learning. thanks for your help.

Posted: 22 Oct 2011 10:06PM GMT
Hi Amyski87,
I have a link that may help you if you still need to translate your material. If so, please email me at oneofakyne1@comcast.net and I will be glad to send it to you. It has been a GREAT help to me!

Good luck with the translation,
oneofakyne

Posted: 23 Oct 2011 3:07AM GMT
Why not just post the link on the board?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.