Search for content in message boards

Stoney Royd Cemetary, Halifax, Yorkshire

Stoney Royd Cemetary, Halifax, Yorkshire

Mike Bury (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2001 2:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi: Does anyone know if there exists a list of the burials at Stoney Royd Cemetary. My mothers family plot is there with several burials - Whitehead, Gledhill and Krischke. I am trying to determine who, exactly, is buried in the plot. Help!
Mike

Re: Stoney Royd Cemetary, Halifax, Yorkshire

Lynda Balmforth (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2001 11:13PM GMT
Hi Mike----Do you have any dates for burials at Stoney Royd?
The records are kept at Halifax library, which I visit every Tuesday for research.Maybe I could help!! Regards--Lynda

Mike bury (View posts)
Posted: 9 Nov 2001 4:22AM GMT
Hi Lynda: My grandfather - Joseph Emil Rudolph Krischke would have been buried April 6,7 or 8, 1958. My great grandmother - Emma (Gledhill) Whitehead would have been buried April 3,4 or 5 1938. My great grandfather - Charles Whitehead would have been buried March 22, 23,or 24, 1892. Those are the only burials I feel sure about. I suspect that two of my great grandmothers children, who died shortly after birth, may be there also -Archibald Gledhill Whitehead, died 18 May 1885; and George Gilbert Whitehead, died 2 June 1889. There may be others in the plot. Blessings. Mike

Posted: 24 Dec 2001 1:56AM GMT
Edited: 24 Oct 2004 4:12AM GMT
Surnames: Connolly, Cohen, Coyne, Craig
I also have an ancestor buried in the Stoney Royd Cemetery--John Cohen (Coyne?), who died 9 Feb 1903. I wonder if you could tell us a little bit about the cemetery and the local area? Is it a large grave yard? small? In a small town or a city? Is it connected to a particular church or parish? Are there any photographs on the web that show what it's like? And might there be newspapers with obituaries in the library that you visit and if so could you share the library address with us? THANKS!

Posted: 15 May 2002 7:24PM GMT
Hi

I found my sister's grave at Stoney Royd Cemetary by going to Parkwood Crematoriam at Elland where all the buriel records are kept for Stoney Royd they also gave me a map and marked the grave for me. You could give it a try.

Christine

Posted: 27 Aug 2005 3:28PM GMT
My Whiteheads came from Norland, near Halifax. Do you know who your Charles Whitehead's father was?

Best,
David.

Re: Stoney Royd Cemetary, Halifax, Yorkshire (Mount Pleasant, Norland)

Posted: 23 Aug 2010 10:21PM GMT
Surnames: Whiteheads
Hi,
Whilst researching for my own family, I have details of all the Whiteheads buried in Norland (Mount plesant), and details of which grave they are in.

There were 6 Whiteheads listed between 1893 and 1920.
The original grave book is at Parklands Crematorium, Sowerby bridge, but at that time no grave map existed and we had to create one (but they had it e-mailed to them).

This is because whilst researching for my lot we had to create a complete Mount Plesant photo set and grave list, as once we found the grave book, no one had a map and we had to create one to work out where our lot where.
If this of any use, please let me know

Posted: 24 Aug 2010 7:15AM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Whitehead
Hello, Yes please, I would be very interested to know more details about the Whiteheads buried at Norland. Thanks.

Posted: 24 Aug 2010 10:28AM GMT
Drat it just lost it.

One, I have pictures to upload as a second batch (so I don't have to retype all this). If you use the images, please acknowledge where you got it from (No I'm not after fame and glory, just its useful for reasearch purposes if each picture is acknowledged for 'provenance tracking', etc)

Anyway - attempt 2.....
There are 2 graveyards on Norland. The main church is at the top of the hill, by the crossroads, this isn't anything to do with that.
This is from mount Pleasant, which is a small graveyard (on the road leading to the east from the other church.
The chapel has long since been converted to a private house, and you enter to the right of the private drive to access the graveyard. The hollies bushes are now trees, and one grave stone has fallen on its face however....

It was first used in 1875 and carried on right up to the 1970's, with a few more until 2003, when the last burial was carried out.

There was no burial/grave yard map, so I had to create one, with the help of my great-uncle on the ground and my mother subsquently to validate my research.
I did this to find the grave of one of ours (which I did after doing all this). So whilst I'm mostly accurate, feel free to validate all this too....
3 plots = 54, 77, 93
Date Occupant Age+Occup'n
54 Feb 18 1893 Ann Whitehead 84 Widow
54 June 30 1923 Sally Whitehead 83 Spinster
77 Nov 14 1900 Ellen Whitehead 58 Wife
77 June22 1910 Mary Whitehead 4
77 Apr 3 1922 Luke Whitehead 80
93 Mar 28 1922 Walter Whitehead 44

All these plots are unmarked (I'm prexplaining the photos)
= 54 is to the right of the one marked by the tree,
=77 is to the left of the 85 one, and
= plot 93 is to the right of 85 (see the one picture with plot 85 in the middle, and 77 to the left and 93 to the right of it)
Plot 85 is best described as an obelisk topped one (IMHO)

The grave book is at Parklands (or Parkwood) crematorium, Sowerby bridge. They allowed me to photograph each page in the grave book. Copy of the grave book is apparantly in Halifax record office.
I will try to add the grave book pics too!

Please let me know if this is of any use.

Posted: 24 Aug 2010 11:17AM GMT
picture adding attempt 1 (grave book)
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.