Search for content in message boards

Daniel S Dickins

Daniel S Dickins

Rick Main (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jul 2004 11:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dickins
I am Looking for info on Daniel S Dicki(e)ns spelled both ways in the records I have.
Dies at the battle before Richmond in 1862 age 35
He had a brother Jessie died at Antietam 17 Sept 1862 at age 24
There is a mention of an uncle Robert Orrell
His parrents were John and Ann and grandfather Fowler Dickens
I have a letter and news clipping with this info but no other

I will share any info I have

Daniel S Dickens

Posted: 10 Jul 2004 4:44PM GMT
Hi there. Daniel Dickens, mother Ann, father John are part of my family. He was born about 1829/30. Which would make him about the age you have in here!

Drop me a line and we can compare notes! Daniel Dickens is my 4th Great Grandfather!!! (dpresley41@knology.net)

Re: Daniel S Dickins

Scott D. Hann (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2006 2:40PM GMT
Hello,

I have found the following information about your ancestors in "History of Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-1865," commonly referred to as "Bates."

Jesse R. Dickens

Residence was not listed;
Enlisted on 6/5/1861 as a Corporal.

On 6/5/1861 he mustered into "B" Co. PA 32nd Infantry
He was Killed on 9/17/1862 at Antietam, MD

Daniel S. Dickins

Residence was not listed;
Enlisted on 6/5/1861 as a Private.

On 6/5/1861 he mustered into "B" Co. PA 32nd Infantry
He was Killed on 6/27/1862 at Gaines' Mill, VA

As you can see, they both served in the same regiment and in the same company. Also, both spelling of the surname were used. The 32nd Pennsylvania is also known as the 3rd Pennsylvania Reseves. It's unfortunate that I have many images from this regiment, but from a different company.

You are correct. The Battle of Gaines Mills was fought "before" Richmond, and is one of the Seven Day's Battles. It's probably about 10 miles from the former capitol of the Confederacy.

Hope this information is valuable to you.

Sincerely,

Scott D. Hann

Posted: 6 Mar 2008 4:43AM GMT
Surnames: Dickens
Thanks very much for the reply.
If you are still on I have found a few items belonging to Daniel's daughter including a letter from the front I would share if you are interested. Let me know if your email is valid and I can send copies, and a scan of an unknown medal.

Rick
Attachments:

Posted: 6 Mar 2008 12:12PM GMT
Rick,

Thanks very much for the offer. Of course I'd love to see scans of the letter. And hopefully I can identify the medal you're speaking of.

Scott

Posted: 8 Mar 2008 4:22AM GMT
Here is the letter side 1. A mouse found it before me but you can read most of it. Some collaboration of regimental history as well as local colour. Richard may be the person whose house was mentioned in the Obit clip, an in-law married to Daniel's sister. Any photos of the regiment, or Knowledge of Philidelphia, and a gunsmith named Fowler Dickens would help, I have nothing earlier than his Naturalization in 1842.

Thanks
Attachments:

Posted: 8 Mar 2008 4:29AM GMT
Thanks for sharing. It's a pity about the rodent damage, because his handwriting is easy to decipher. Can you send a scan/photo of the medal you were speaking about?

Posted: 8 Mar 2008 4:30AM GMT
And side 2
Attachments:

Posted: 8 Mar 2008 4:38AM GMT
Not sure what this is, it was with the letter.
My father always thought it was for a volunteer fire fighter or something. It would most likely be post civil war
Attachments:

Posted: 8 Mar 2008 5:34AM GMT
Surnames: Dickens, Sharp, Keene
Rick,
What a treasure that letter is! Daniel S. Dickins was my 3rd great grandfather. My grandmother was Jennie Sharp Keene. You may recall that we had some contact several years ago. I wonder if you can make out the name that comes before "was getting better" on the third line, first page of the original. Is he referring to one of their children? Can you tell me which daughter it was that had the letter in her possession? The medal is also very interesting. I hope someone can tell you what it is. It does look like it could be representive of firefighters.

Thanks for sharing.
Ellen Alexander
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.