Search for content in message boards

Myron (Mack) Knowlton

Myron (Mack) Knowlton

Posted: 30 Mar 2009 5:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Knowlton
My grandfather was Myron aka Mack Knowlton. All I know is that he said he was born in Canada and that his parents were born in Nova Scotia. He married Frances Louise LeFar from Vermont, probably in the early 1900's. They resided in Helena, Arkansas, and probably operated a grocery store. He separated from Frances (I don't know if they were officially divorced) and moved from Helena, but I don't know where, possibly somewhere in Mississippi. I am searching for any information anyone might have on him and appreciate your help.

Re: Myron (Mack) Knowlton

Posted: 30 Mar 2009 11:27PM GMT
Classification: Birth
There is a Mack Knowlton listed on novascotiagenealogy.com
Born in 1865 I think it was. Just go to the website, search for him, and you may need to download the image viewer.
If you get a line 113 that is what I saw. I couldn't make out the parents names and other info with a quick look, but zoom the page or order the record and you should see it.
Good luck.

Fred

Posted: 30 Mar 2009 11:41PM GMT
According to a 1910 census for a Mack and Francis living in Arkansas he was born in Nebraska, and so were his parents.
I would try to get a death record and an obituary for both grandparents if possible.

Posted: 30 Mar 2009 11:49PM GMT
There's an MN Knowlton married to a Francis also in the 1910 census in Arkansas. Both this one and the previous one I mentioned were Grocers. This one had a daughter Alice if that helps.
I accessed this from Heritage Quest a search on ancestry might be better.

Posted: 31 Mar 2009 12:18AM GMT
Hi mhbufo,

Here is a census that might help with your information.

Lynde Randall

1910 United States Federal Census

Name: M M Knowlton
Age in 1910: 40
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1870
Birthplace: Canada English
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Nova Scotia
Mother's Birth Place: Canada English
Spouse's Name: Francis
Home in 1910: St Francis, Phillips, Arkansas Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1891
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
M M Knowlton 40
Francis Knowlton 25
Alice Knowlton 4/12
Carl Le Fos 23

Posted: 31 Mar 2009 3:14AM GMT
Surnames: knowlton LeFar
I have seen both the census (censuses censi?) you mention. It is true, one says born in Canada and parents in Nova Scotia and one says all born in Nebraska. That really confuses me....makes me wonder if whoever wrote that just put something down. I will check the Nova Scotia record you mentioned. My Mother was Alice and her mother (Frances) maiden name was LeFar....that Carl LeFos is listed as a brother in law, so I think his name was probably LeFar. I really appreciate your responses. I haven't found any record of his ever being in Canada or crossing the border, but my mother told me that he was born in Quebec. After her parents split, she didn't know where he went or if they were ever actually formally divorced. She always told me his name was Myron, so he must have gone by Mack. I have searched Ancestry.com, but will search the other too. I also can't find anything on my grandmother, Frances Louise LeFar (other than those two censuses). She was born somewhere in Vermont. I have her death certificate but the information on it was furnished by my mother's sister and she didn't know much, so there are no parents' names, etc. I'm not even sure whether she spelled her name Frances or Francis...and not entirely positive that LeFar is spelled that way. I know, I'm sure stabbing in the dark here.

Posted: 31 Mar 2009 10:32AM GMT
I looked for Lefar's in Vermont in the Census and didn't find any. That name sounds a bit French to me so I can see Vermont or an emigration down from French Quebec. There were loads of Knowltons in Quebec (Townships) also which is my Knowlton family. I go by the Vermont record office and travel to the Townships frequently so keep uncovering those rocks and maybe he'll be found. A wife from Vermont tends to make me think he ws from there or over the border. Census records can have bad info unfortunately.
Moving to Arkansas from the North is unusual also, not impossible just unusual. Confederate Veterans still being alive and all.

Posted: 31 Mar 2009 12:48PM GMT
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your interest. I couldn't find any LeFars in Vermont either. Did find some in New York, which I found interesting because most were grocers and that's the business my grandparents were in in Helena, Arkansas. One of the most curious parts of this to me is just what you mentioned. How in the world did they wind up in Helena, Arkansas? My story gets even more complicated because my paternal grandfather immigrated from Liverpool when he was a teenager and also wound up in Helena. His name was Harcourt. That history is elusive also. The only solid piece of evidence I have is my grandmother's death certificate. I am sending off today for a copy of her social security application and am hoping that will shed some light. I don't know if either of my grandfathers were ever naturalized...can't find any records of it. I truly don't know where to start, have pored over passenger lists and immigration records to no avail. I'm thinking that both grandfathers may have fudged some information along the way. My father died when I was six months old and my mother did not stay in close touch with his family, so I have little help in that search. Her father (Knowlton) moved away and she didn't even know where he went. Another brick wall. I'm still trying though and so much appreciate your help and your interest.

Posted: 31 Mar 2009 2:26PM GMT
People generally naturalized so they could vote. This time is prior to social security obviously. I would check Nebraska records also as perhaps they were there briefly.
I'd check WWI draft cards also for him.
I'd also check variations of the Lefor name or soundex it.

Posted: 31 Mar 2009 6:19PM GMT
I want to encourage you to join the Knowlton mailing list at rootsweb.com Many of us are reading your message posts because they are gatewayed to the Knowlton list. Since you have a long Knowlton line, we are all interested in it and can discuss it more readily than having to come to this message board, sign in, etc. I have not checked the items mentioned yet, but could birthplace be written NS on the census and be misread as NB or NE for Nebraska? Are there any living male Knowltons from this line who could participate in our y-DNA study?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.