Search for content in message boards

Sullivan family from Worcester, MA and Philadelphia

Sullivan family from Worcester, MA and Philadelphia

Posted: 8 Apr 2007 6:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sullivan, Boyle, Shinnick, Riley
Researching the Sullivan family emigrated from Kilgarvan, County Kerry, Ireland, 1890 to 1901 to Worcester, MA and Philadelphia, PA.

I would especially like to hear from any of the Sullivan's in MA that recogize these family members.

Descendants of John Sullivan

1. John SULLIVAN (son of CORNELIUS) was born in Clomanach-Lomanagh, County Kerry, Ireland. He married Hanorah (Nora) SHINNICK 1870 in Macroom, County Cork, daughter of Patrick SHINNICK and Mary SULLIVAN and was born in Gortafludig, County Cork, Ireland . John Sullivan was murdered according to family lore sometime between 1882-4. Nora later married John Donovan, immigrated to the US in 1901 after his death, and lived in Worcester, MA until her death. She was born 1858 in Ireland, and died 19 May 1915. She is buried in St John’s Cemetery, Worcester, MA

Children of John SULLIVAN and Hanorah SHINNICK SULLIVAN DONOVAN are:
2. i. MARY E.SULLIVAN, b. abt Sep 1872, Killarney or Kilgarvan County Kerry, Irleand; d. 26 Jul 1914, Buried 7/31/1914, Holy Cross Cemetery, Yeadon, PA. . She married PATRICK JOHN BOYLE in Phila., PA, son of PATRICK BOYLE and MARY KEENEY.
3. ii. CORNELIUS J. SULLIVAN, b. 1872 or 1876, Kilgarvan Parish, Killarney, County Kerry, Ireland; d. 08 Jan 1939, buried Holy Sepulchre, Cheltenham, PA. He married Bridget McKenzie QUINN, Philadelphia, PA, daughter of Martin CUNNIE and Mary JORDAN.
4. iii. PATRICK J SULLIVAN, b. 05 Jun 1878, County Kerry; d. 20 Feb 1956, Buried 2/23/1956 in St John's Cemetery, Worcester, MA. He married Nellie M SULLIVAN 20 Apr 1907 in Worcester,daughter of Timothy SULLIVAN and Hannah LEARY. She died 02 Jan 1974 and is buried in St John’s Cemetery, Worcester, MA
5. iv. HANORAH (NONIE) DONOVAN RILEY, b. 29 Jun 1886, In Ireland; d. 19 Oct 1959, Buried 10/22/1959 St John's Cemetery, Worcester, MA. . She married Michael Francis RILEY. He was born 06 Jan 1885, and died Abt. 05 Feb 1963 in Buried 2/8/1963 St John's Cemetery, Worcester, MA.
v. NELLIE DONOVAN HALEY, b. Abt. 1890, In Ireland; d. Abt. 01 Jul 1942; She married Edward HALEY. She is buried in St John’s Cemetery, Worcester, MA.
vi. DANIEL J SULLIVAN, b. Abt. Jul 1878, County Kerry; d. 12 Jul 1943, Buried July 14, 1943 St John's Cemetery, Worcester, MA.
6. vii. BARTHOLOMEW JOHN SULLIVAN, b. 08 Dec 1879, Kenmare, County Kerry, Ireland; d. 03 Dec 1956,
Buried 12/5/1956 St John's Cemetery, Worcester, MA. He married Katharine A. MARSHALL. She was born Abt. 1881, and died 14 Dec 1936, buried in St John’s Cemetery.
7. viii. JOHN J SULLIVAN, b. 29 Jun 1882; d. 02 May 1956, buried in St John’s Cemetery, Worcester, MA. . He married Nellie RYAN, 01 Nov 1904 in Worcester, daughter of Michael RYAN and Catharine COONEY. She was born 1883, and died 04 Mar 1967 and is buried in St John's Cemetery, Worcester, MA.

Re: Sullivan family from Worcester, MA and Philadelphia

Posted: 13 Mar 2012 9:42PM GMT
Hello,

My name is Kevin Shiels.

I am not sure of any connection to the information on your post. However I can inform you of my Sullivan (O'Sullivan) connection.

My Great Grandmother was a Annie O'Sullivan (Sullivan). I have been told by my father that she was born around 1895, in Kenmare area, Kerry, Ireland who married my Great Grandfather John Fennessy.

My Uncle has informed that he visited Annie's (Sullivan) family as a boy and remembers that a large waterfall was very near where to where they lived.

Recently, my father Thomas Shiels (Annie & John's grandson) found some old diary's of his mother Brigid Fennessy, Born in 1926, Galbally, Limerick, Ireland (Annie & John's daughter) which had recorded the following names of her aunt's (Annie's sisters:

Mrs B Downey 49 Bay St. Kingston Ontario Canada

Mr & Mrs John Doyle [ aunt Sheila ] 609 Younge St. Portsmouth Ontario Canada

Mrs Fred Gerdis [Aunt Nora] Lilac Lodge Kingston Ontario Canada.

My grandmother (Brigid Shiels nee Fennessy) had told me (in the 1980's) that she had family in Canada but lost contact and had tried to find them all without success.

Please feel welcome to view my family tree to consider if there is any connection

Kind regards

Kevin

Re: Sullivan family from Worcester, MA and Philadelphia

Posted: 14 Mar 2012 5:28AM GMT
Hi Kevin,

Unfortunately, there is not enough information here to establish a family connection. There were many Sullivan's in Kenmare, County Kerry in 1895.

I recommend that you take a look at the 1901 Ireland census. You need to narrow Annie's location down to a town land. There were no less than 64 Annie SULLIVAN's in the 1901 census at this time. See http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

If you can narrow it to a town land, we may be able to find more info.

My Sullivan's were In Red Trench town land, Kilgarvan District, county Kerry in1901. They left for Boston in November of that year. This was Nora Shinnick Sullivan Donovan, the last known connection to County Kerry. I know of no connections to Sullivan's in Canada.

Regards,

Joe
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.