Search for content in message boards

Forth Iron Works

Forth Iron Works

Posted: 24 Dec 2012 9:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone have any information about the Forth Iron Works in Fife?

Re: Forth Iron Works

Posted: 25 Dec 2012 12:48AM GMT
Try this link. I Googled Forth Iron Works and this seems as if it's probably what you want, but don't hold me to it.You will probably have to type the URL in yourself.

1847 Part 3 - Scottish Mining Website scottishmining.co.uk/107.html
The "Forth Iron Company" commenced building their works near Dunfermline in March, 1845. In July, 1846, they began to make iron. In February, 1847, they had ...

This is an excerpt and the site does have more info.
The banks of the Forth, near Dunfermline, and on the opposite side near Linlithgow are rapidly becoming important seats of the iron manufacture. The "Forth Iron Company" commenced building their works near Dunfermline in March, 1845. In July, 1846, they began to make iron. In February, 1847, they had collected a population of 2500 souls, engaged about four furnaces, and the raising the coal and iron-stone to supply them. Two more furnaces were about to be erected, and rolling-mills are to be added; so that in a year or two the population will amount to at least 4000 souls, collected in this short time in a locality hitherto covered only with a scanty agricultural population

Re: Forth Iron Works

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 3:27AM GMT
The Forth Iron Works no longer exist - it had a very short existence, and as far as I am aware, made very little profit from its operations there.

It became the village of Oakley in Fife, and that village is now larger than the neighbouring village of Carnock, - and Carnock would have been the main Parish Register when F.I.W. was operating. My Great-Grandfather was born in Oakley, when his father was an Iron-Stone miner there for a short period, before bringing the family back to Clackmannanshire.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.