Search for content in message boards

Tuck

Tuck

M'Ronald-KeithTuck (View posts)
Posted: 27 Apr 2002 11:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
my name is M'Ronald-KeithTuck (Phila/Atl)
son of Thomas Edward Tuck(Phila/Virgilina, Va)
son of Arthur Tuck(Virgilina, Va)

scant possibly faulty research for a college project yielded information about a family of brothers named TUCK who came over from england and settled in various parts of the eastcoast; one brother was emphatic in his displeasure with slavery and settled for north; one brother setteld in the mid-atlantic region to start; two brothers settled int he south - virginia and georgia, both slave owners....James Tuck - i do beleive was the brother who settled in the virginia area, and necessarily owned and/or fathered my ancestors.....i am seeking concrete connections all the way back to england !!!.....HELP !!!

'preciate ya' !!!

mrkt

Re: Tuck

Marian (View posts)
Posted: 28 Apr 2002 5:00AM GMT
If anyone has any updates, corrections, or additions to any of this information I would appreciate the information. I have not proved any of this information:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTES I HAVE ON WOODHAM TUCK - Early Virginia Immigrant (1642)
=============================================
Early Virginia Immigrants; 1623–1666
T
Tuck, Ann, 1656, by William Bird, —— Co.
View full context
Early Virginia Immigrants; 1623–1666
T
Tuck, Woodham, 1642, by Lieut. Francis Mason, —— Co.
View full context
Viewing records 1-2 of 2
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTICE: I have information on an EDWARD TUCK, b. 1625 in Hampton, Rockingham, New Hampshire.
He is #17637. found on a GEDCOM
married to Hannah Philbrick( b. abt 1616 in St. Mary, Bures, Suffolk, England) in Plymouth, MA 1648. and
married to Mary Philbrick (born abt 1627 in same place) in Hampton, Rockingham, New Hampshire.in 1648 also.
children: Edward Tuck b. 8 Sep 1649, Hampton, Rockingham, New Hampshire.
John Tuck, b. 12 April 1652, Hampton, Rockingham, New Hampshire.
Mary Tuck, b. 8 June 1656, Hampton, Rockingham, New Hampshire.
Hannah Tuck, b. 17 Mar 1658, Hampton, Rockingham, New Hampshire.
(last two children were Mary Philbrick's children that on the records have the Tuck name.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Email from Terisa Parrish <terrilpn@yahoo.com>
Dated: Monday, June 28, 1999

"Okay, try this on yahoo!!!
I am a descendant of Woodham Tuck who came to Jamestown in 1635.
From what I have on hadn, he was the father of Bennett Tuck.
Bennett had 6 sons, one was John Tuck, born 1730. John had 12 children.Edward Tuck was his oldest son. Edward was born 12.10.1762.
He married Nancy Winfrey in 1757. He had 7 listed children.
His son, Powell, first married Mary Fletcher on 12.23.1807. Nancy gavehim 3 children, the after the birth of their twins, (#4 & #5). she died probably from complications. Powell married again to Edney Wellingham and moved away. One of the twins, Nathan Fletcher Tuck, born 8/10/1816,was my great times two grandfather. His son Berkley Powell Tuck, was my great grandfather. Little is known about him at this time. Still working on it. Does this help you out any? I have more, plus the Family coat of arms."
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Email from: <rth3@msinets.com>
Dated: Thursday, June 24, 1999
Subject: re: family tree

Hi!!! Thank you for writing back. Hubby and I are thrilled!
Okay, I am the descendant of Woodham Tuck who came to Jamestown in 1635on the ship ASSURANCE. He had a son, Bennett. From Bennett came JohnTuck, born in 1730. Married Mary Powell. Our side of the family usedthe Powell as a middle name for generations. From John came Edward Tuck.Born on 12/10/1762. Married Nancy Winfrey on 1-11-1787. They had 7children. This Edward Tuck settled the area of Virgilina when only indians lived there. Was called Ned the Great
Owned 2000 plus acres there. House still stands today. I have pictures of it. His son, Powell, was my great times 3 grandfather. He had 5 children by his first wife, Mary Fletcher, who died after giving birth to twins. One of the twins, Nathan Fletcher, was my great times 2grandfather. His son, Berkley Powell Tuck, was my great grand father. My grandfather was Baker Powell Tuck. My father was Hurley Tuck. All natives of the Halifax and Mecklenburg County areas. I have more. I have all the dates and marriages except for a couple.
Does this help?---
--------------------------------------------------------------------
To: <CaryTuckGen@onelist.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 1999 5:38 PM
Subject: Re: (CaryTuckGen) John Tuck's parents and his mother-in-law.

According to my Tuck Cousin, Woodham Tuck came to Jamestown in 1635,aboard the ship "Assurance". Along with others, the name ElizabethPowell also appeared on the ship list. Wooddham, along with his young brothers, Robert and James and a third brother, Richard or Thomas, settled in Jamestown with their family. Woodham, according to records,had a son, Bennett. He was born about 1700. This would make Woodham an older man when he was born. so it is safe to say that Woodham was very young when he came to America. Near 1730, John Tuck was born to Bennett.John and his brother Edward, left Jamestown in 1750 to travel further west. They settled the area now called Halifax County. John met and married Mary Powell in 1757. This was the beginning of the "Powell"middle name that our family is so famous for. Mary was from the lineage of Elizabeth Powell, who was also Quaker, and who's family came toVirginia on the ship "Assurance". Information gathered from Virginia State Library, Halifax County Library, Halifax County Courthouse, and these books: "Along The Border", "Wilkerson and Wilkerson Families","Pioneers and Patriots" and "John and Edward Tuck of Halifax County and some of their Descendants", completed by my cousin Terisa Tuck Clemmer Parrish in James T. Tuck's privately printed book, he indicates John Tuck born abt 1730, died 10 Aug. 1801 in Halifax Co., VA; buried in Bluewing Plantation, Halifax Co. VA. He married abt 1757 in Halifax Co., VA. MaryPowell, born 12 Aug 1733 in Bristol Parish, King George Co., VA; died 23 May 1828 in Halifax Co., VA buried in Halifax Co., VA, daughter of Edward Powell and Elizabeth Ranson. Seems to me with this much information, it could be checked out easily enough.
Brenda.
email from: <IMZADIMPR@aol.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 3, 2000
Subject: Tucks

I'm pretty sure that Margaret Jane Tuck and Richard Henry Tuck are cousins since that line is inbred to death.
Richard's parents were also Tuck Cousins. ((I have: #4875 Phaltiel Tuck and #5653 Sarah Catherine Tuck))
((Margaret Jane Tuck's parents are: #5198 Edward Irby Tuck and #6839 Margaret Dewberry))

Thanks for alerting me that I also had him listed as her brother! I'm rechecking my files on Margaret's siblings to fix that.

Ned is a nickname for Edward. Margaret's brother, Edward Apple b. 1841 was known as Ned Tuck.(#6473)
{{I think it is Richard Henry's brother, Edward Apple #6473}} Who's parents were your Ned Tuck b. 1920? His name is probably really Edward.

Please send me your direct line (how the Pedersen's or your maiden name) links with the Tuck's. My grandfather was Ernest Polk Tuck. His father was Richard Detrick Tuck. Detrick's father was Ditryon Percy Tuck and his father was Edward Irby Tuck, Sr. (I have Jr.) Then you go backwards to Edward "Ned" Tuck, John Tuck, Sr. (I don't have Sr. or Jr.) Bennet Tuck, Warram Tuck and Woodham Tuck b. before 1634 in England. The Tucks actually came from Wales.
Keep in touch!
Marsha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search Results
Database: Full Context of Persons of Quality Original Lists
Combined Matches:
Previous Page Next Page
The Original Lists OF PERSONS OF QUALITY
[Regi]ster of the names of all ye Passinger wch Passed from ye Port of London for on whole yeare Endinge at Xpmas 1635.
1635 - 20 = 1615 year Warram was born?
WARRAM TUCK 20

Information from: <rth3@msinets.com>
Thursday, June 24, 1999
Subject: re: family tree

Hi!!! Thank you for writing back. Hubby and I are thrilled!
Okay, I am the descendant of Woodham Tuck who came to Jamestown in 1635 on the ship Assurance. He had a son, Bennett. From Bennett came JohnTuck, born in 1730. Married Mary Powell. Our side of the family used the Powell as a middle name for generations. From John came Edward Tuck .Born on 12/10/1762. Married Nancy Winfrey on 1/11/1787. They had 7 children. This Edward Tuck settled the area of Virgilina when only Indians lived there. Was called Ned the Great. Owned 2000 plus acres there. House still stands today. I have pictures of it. His son Powell was my great times 3 grandfather. He had 5 children by his first wife, Mary Fletcher, who died after giving birth totwins. One of the twins, Nathan Fletcher, was my great times 2grandfather. His son Berkley Powell Tuck was my great grandfather. Mygrandfather was Baker Powell Tuck. My father was Hurley Tuck. Allnatives of the Halifax and Mecklenburg County arears. I have more. I have all the dates and marriages except for a couple.
Does this help?
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, February 25, 2001 10:35 AM
Subject: Re: Tuck Surnames

> Bennett Tuck b. 1710
> his father was Warram b. in England
> Passenger on ship to America named 'Assurance' - arrived in Virginia on July
> 24, 1635 at the age of 20.
> Warram's father was Woodham
>
> Woodham Tuck is the earliest known Tuck to arrive in America. At this time
> we can not link him directly to Bennet, but he is believed to be closely
> related, along with Robert (1641); James (1650), and Thomas (1719). They came
> from England on the ship "Assurance" in 1635 and were firmly settled in
> Halifax County by 1750.
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Boards > Localities > United Kingdom and Ireland > England > General
URL: http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=message&r=rw&p...
Subject: Warram Tuck
Author: Barbara Jean Tuck Hathaway
Date: 15 Jun 1999 7:40 PM GMT
Email: CPAHAB@aol.com
---Warram Tuck came to America on the ship "Assurance" in 1635. He was 20 years old. I can find not other information about him. Also, Woodham Tuck supposedly came to America on the "Assurance" around 1652. My family tree assumes that Bennett Tuck is the child of Woodham Tuck but there is no proof. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Boards > Surnames > Tuck

Subject: Re: TUCK Origin
Author: Stephen Tuck
Date: 29 Dec 2001 5:42 PM GMT
Email: stephen.tuck@btinternet.com

Sharon,
According to an article I read, the name Tuck came about in the following way:-
According to legend the name is of Roman origin. The four oldest names in Norfolk (England) are said to be: Dack, Lack, Mack, and Tuck, from the Roman Dacius, Lacius, Macius, and Tucius.

It is believed that these four were Roman soldiers given grants of land in what is today East Anglia when the Roman legions were withdrawn from Britain about 400 A.D. at the collapse of the Roman Empire.

I can't prove the above but, it does make a nice story.

Compliments of the season.

Stephen.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -
Boards > Surnames > Tuck

Subject: Grubbs/Tuck
Author: Curtis Grubbs
Date: 23 Jan 2000 7:43 PM GMT
Email: grubhstry@pipeline.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Emily, my g-mother was Emma Francis Tuck and gg-father was Coley Tuck and gg-mother was Sally(Sarah) Vaughn I have I have information from my Aunt Annie Grubbs Collins that our ggg-father was John Tuck his father was William Munford Tuck, his Father Alfred Tuck, his father was Richard Tuck, his father was John Tuck, his father,Bennet Tuck, his father May be Woodham Tuck, I believe he is buries in the old Jamestown Cemetary, I have Noticed A Tuck grave there when we go to Jamestown and williamsburg Va. I live in Norfolk, Va. I am not able to prove any of this from Mumford Tuck on back, Gov. William Tuck was grandma's 1st cousin I also have most of the grandmothers to the line See my sons Grubbs History Web Page His name Is Jeff Grubbs, He lives in Idaho, His wife is Kellee good luck with your search and e-mail me back, who is your mother? THANKS CURTIS GRUBBS My Mother was Janie Phillips all the Tucks were from Halifax, Co. Va and Woodham Tuck was one of the 1st settlers of Jamestown, He recwived a Land Grant and moved into the mid-western part of Va.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2002 7:14 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: Tuck Surnames

Hello, I don't have that much Info on the Tuck side, But here is what I have.
By the way Emma Tuck was my Grandmather on my Fathers side. Hope this
helps.........

> Emma Francis Tuck Her Husband Charles Monroe Grubbs His Father and
> >Mother were Edward Grubbs and Patricia (Pate) Dove, Her Father William
> >Dove Emma
> >Francis Tuck her Father and mother Coley Tuck andSally(sarah)
> >Vaughn Coley Tuck's parents John Tuck and
> >possibly Mildred Ann
> >Ligon John Tuck's Parents
> >William Mumford Tuck/Jane Ollie
> >Wilkerson(wilkinson) William Mumford
> >Tuck's Parents (Lord)Alfred Tuck/Lucy Clay
> >Foard Alfred Tuck's Parents
> >Richard tuck/Mary Jane
> >Wilkins Richard
> >Tuck's Parents John Tuck Sr./Mary
> >Powell John
> >Tuck Sr 's Parents Bennett Tuck/Cary ? Woodham Tuck may be Bennett's
> >father known as one of the 1st settlers of Jamestown
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: 19 Mar 2003 5:45AM GMT
Edited: 19 Mar 2005 6:18AM GMT
I am kin to these Tuck's as well for my dads side of the family is from the Halifax and Mecklenburg Co's of Virginia and near the North Carolina border
Posted: 19 Mar 2003 6:05AM GMT
Edited: 19 Mar 2005 6:18AM GMT
please respond to ElliottsTheMan66@aol.com for previous message
Posted: 5 Oct 2003 3:59PM GMT
Surnames: Tuck, King, Terry,
Looking for the family of (John?) J.B.Tuck b-1856 Ga. Married Eliza Jane King in Gwinnett Cty., Ga. My great grandfather is Zack Taylor Tuck, their son. Any information would be appreicated.
Cheree
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.