Search for content in message boards

Phelps ancestry from PA

Phelps ancestry from PA

Posted: 23 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Feb 2002 1:54PM GMT
Surnames: PHELPS
Searching for ancestry of Leslie Denton Phelps (b) 1903 in West Brownville, Washington, PA
Would like contact with descendants of Leslie or his siblings: Allen, Miller or Victoria Phelps.
Please contact me via my email address. Thank you.

Re: Phelps ancestry from PA

Posted: 19 Nov 2002 5:11PM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2003 2:12PM GMT
Surnames: PHELPS, SHAFFER, LIVINGSTON, PATTERSON
My wife is the granddaughter of Victoria Phelps b. 27 Mar 1907 in West Brownsville, PA, m. Raymond John Shaffer of Youngstown, OH, d. 5 Jan 1992 in Castleberry Florida. Victoria was the daughter of Morris Miller Phelps and Margaret Jane Patterson. Although tradition has it that he was the son of Henry Phelps and Julia Livingston, we have been unable to confirm this. Morris and other family members seem to have been adept at avoiding census workers. He is not found on the newly released 1880 census database on the LDS site.

Sheri (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2002 6:35PM GMT
Surnames: PHELPS- LIVINGSON-DAILEY
Your wife and I are cousins. Her grandmother, Victoria was a "natural sister" of my grandmother, Grace Phelps Eckart Dailey. Grace was adopted out to Lawrence A. Eckart. Grandma was born 1892 so she was quite a bit younger than Victoria. Grandma and her adoptive parents plus her husband ( Thomas Dailey) and their sons are all buried in Calvary Cemetery in Youngstown. Had heard that Grace had been born in PA but not quite sure where.Also have info showing the name Julia Livingston--but no record of who provided the information. (possibly it was Grandma but she didn't often speak of her natural family..so who knows) I have a few small photos of Grace that I can scan in to the computer to see if there is any family resemblance if you think your wife might be interested. Thank you for contacting me. It's always nice to meet up with "family".

Posted: 20 Nov 2002 3:03AM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2003 2:12PM GMT
Surnames: PHELPS, PATTERSON, RILEY, MARSHALL, BAUM, UPHAM, WILLIAMS
All information we have on the Phelps' and Patterson's is based on oral history we obtained from Victoria prior to her death in 1992. Victoria was born in 1907, so she would have been your grandmother's younger sister.

Margaret Jane PATTERSON was the daughter of Robert PATTERSON and Elizabeth RILEY. Robert was born in Scotland and Elizabeth came to America from Ireland at age 17 to be employed as a maid. They married in Pittsburgh where Elizabeth later died. Robert may have returned to Scotland.

Robert and Elizabeth's children, in addition to Margaret, were:

Carolyn
m. James MARSHALL (Blacksmith)
Children:
James
Robert
Carolyn
Elizabeth
Earl (settled in California)

Emma
m. Renin BAUM
Children:
Emma
Marjorie

Mamie
m. William UPHAM (Owned department store in Meredith CT)
Children:
Elizabeth
Emma
Kirkland

Elizabeth (buried in PA)
m. Will WILLIAMS

Robert
m. Marion
Children:
John
Robert Byron
Dale

Margaret may have had two other siblings that died as children. One may have been named Sarah.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.