Search for content in message boards

Daniel and Rebecca Campbell (c. 1800 - ?)

Daniel and Rebecca Campbell (c. 1800 - ?)

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 3:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, I'm new to researching in the USA and am having trouble finding BMD. This couple arrived in NYC from England in 1828. I think it's them living in Coventry Tsp., Summit Co. on the 1850 and 1860 censuses and Daniel on the 1880 census. No sign of them on the 1840 and 1870 census. On the 1860 census there's a young couple named Elijah and Rebecca West staying with them. The latter was born in New Jersey, and I'm thinking she may have been their daughter. I believe I've traced Elijah back to a family that arrived in the US in 1832 from Bristol, England. The family's roots were in Coln Saint Aldwyns, Gloucestershire, Eng. and they settled in Orange, Essex Co., NJ. I would be very grateful for any info you can find about this family. Thanking you in advance with kind regards, Dave

Re: Daniel and Rebecca Campbell (c. 1800 - ?)

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 8:44PM GMT
Ohio BMD documentation is problematic for the usual reasons. As each state developed historically, BMD documents also begin from a somewhat roughshod state. County marriage documents begin roughly 1800, while birth and death listings are more spotty in county records and were not required by the state until 1908. A second difficulty is spelling variation. Since a search interface either uses exact spelling or a soundex, problems arise if the written variation is outside the soundex. And then the usual transcription difficulties. Summit Co. was formed in March of 1840.

The 1860 census defines the individuals in question. The location given is Akron, as the city historically expanded into Coventry Township. And in 1850 Coventry is the location, but Daniel's spouse is listed as 'Neville', and there is no one else listed in the household. Husband and wife are the same age in 1850 and again in 1860.

In the 1840 Summit Co. census there is a David Campbell listed in South Akron. When handwriting is difficult to read and particularly if the document is in poor condition, David and Daniel can be rather difficult to distinguish. It is a probable location and a known transcription error, but you would need to see a photocopy.

In 1870 in the Third Ward, Akron, is a man born 1800 in England, who is listed as James CAMMEL, the only person in that household. His occupation is 'Gardener', same as Daniel Campbell of 1880 in the Summit County Infirmary. If Neville can be Rebecca, why not?

If the younger Rebecca is related, where is she in 1850? Where is her marriage? I had no luck finding another listing for Elijah West. Local cemetery listings are a potential source of further information.

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 8:53PM GMT
I’m not related to any member of this family.

You wrote - ..." am having trouble finding BMD."
WHAT does BMD mean ????????????????

Facts you should know about the early census records –

All census records [1790 – 1840] prior to the 1850 census ONLY listed the head of household; whether male or female.

NO specific age was stated for any family member
NO place of birth was stated – city, state, or country
NO city, town, or village is stated – only the county; however some census takers listed the township
NO street address was stated
NO marital status was stated – single, married, widowed, or divorced
NO family relationship was stated – brother, sister, cousin, son, daughter, wife, inlaw, etc…
NO occupation was stated
NO parental birthplaces are stated
NO race was stated [but assume “white”]

1850, 1860 & 1870 census records do not show family relationships, marital status or parental birthplaces.

Step children are not enumerated as “step” children
Adopted children are not enumerated as “adopted”
Grand children are not enumerated as “grand children”
Orphaned children were not enumerated as "orphan"

1850 is the 1st census that shows all family members

1880 is the 1st census that shows parental birthplaces and family relationships +++

1850 -
Name: Daniel Campbell
Birth Year: abt 1799
Birthplace: England
Home in 1850: Coventry, Summit, Ohio

Daniel Campbell 51, ENG - laborer
Rebecca Campbell 51, ENG

1860 -
Name: Daniel Campell
Age in 1860: 62
Birth Year: abt 1798
Birthplace: England
Home in 1860: Akron, Summit, Ohio
Post Office: Akron

Daniel Campell 62, ENG
Rebecca Campell 62, ENG
Elijah Campell 29, ENG [AKA = WEST]
Rebecca Campell 32, NJ [AKA = WEST]
Charlotte Lyon 66, NJ
Elizabeth Smith 36, MASS
Mary Smith 14, MASS
Isabella Smith 10, MASS
William Smith 2, OH

OHIO Vital records -
Prior to September 7, 1949, marriages were record at the county probate courts as each county was formed. At that time, an index of all Ohio marriages was not maintained. It was not until 1949, that a statewide index of marriages that occurred in Ohio was created at the state level with the Ohio Department of Health, Office of Vital Statistics. While the state Office of Vital Statistics maintains indexes of all marriages, the county probate courts where the married couples applied for their license is where the official marriage certificate resides.

statement source -
Mark Kassouf
Compliance Manager/State Mass Fatality Planner/Chief Fraud Officer
Ohio Department of Health
Office of Vital Statistics
614-644-0165

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 4:05AM GMT
Thank you very much for for all the info about censuses. BMD stands for records of Births, Marriages, and Deaths. They would be very helpful in corroborating census records where details are lacking. On the 1860 census you say that Elijah West and Rebecca (blank) are AKA Campbell. I assume that Rebecca was Daniel and Rebecca's daughter and she was married to Elijah West, but that wouldn't make him AKA Elijah Campbell. I think he may have been a casualty of the Civil War and Rebecca may have remarried before the 1870 census. Thanks again for your help. Cheers, Dave

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 4:14AM GMT
Hi Wanda,
Thank you very much for having a look at these records and taking a step further. Although it's not very clear on the 1850 census, I do think the 2nd name is Rebecca and not Neville as you think.I'll have a look at the David Campbell on the 1840 census for more clues. Would anyone be able to tell me where they could have been buried at that time? Thanks again for your help.
Cheers, Dave Mawle

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 6:39PM GMT
By all means, if you have access to photos of the pages, take a look. The listings I mentioned are the LDS transcriptions, so it's hard to say. I've seen relevant parts of pages nearly white or completely black, so there's no telling what the document looks like until you actually see it.

On the other hand, the 1870 listing for James Cammel is easily legible, matching in birth, origin and occupation, but is it relevant? People do, at times, alter the usage and order of first and middle names.

For further investigation, this list of possible sources is borrowed from your other respondent:

Ohio Death Certificate Index, 1913 – 1944
http://www.ohiohistory.org/dindex/

Ohio Birth and Death Records –
http://www.ohiohistory.org/resource/archlib/brthdth1.html

Ohio did not make it a law to keep birth records until 1867.

TRY - Find a grave – FREE SITE - volunteer site all states; frequently has headstone pic

DO NOT SEARCH FOR A MARRIED WOMAN USING HER MAIDEN NAME.

http://www.worldvitalrecords.com/

Try Vital Records – Birth, Marriage, & Death, Social Security Info., Census Records – FREE ALL STATES
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 4:47PM GMT
Hi Wanda,
Thank you for your reply and the links to possible sources. I found in later British censuses that Daniel Campbell's niece, Sarah Campbell, was born in Oneida county, NY about 1830. Her parents were Henry and Sarah and she had a brother, Thomas, born in 1826 in England. Ships passenger records indicate that they arrived in NY in the spring of 1830 on the schooner "Fame" the same ship that Daniel and Rebecca came on 2 years earlier. Thinking the 2 families may have lived in the same place, I checked the 1830 census of Oneida and found them in Vienna township. There were no children in Daniel and Rebecca's household and it's doubtful that they ever lived in NJ, so I've pretty much concluded that Rebecca West on the 1860 census was not their daughter. Thanks again for all your help.
Regards, Dave
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.