Search for content in message boards

Morton family from Hazelbank, Lanarkshire

Morton family from Hazelbank, Lanarkshire

Posted: 16 May 2003 1:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Morton, Drysdale, Hayes
Looking for the family of JAMES MORTON, born December 1832 at Hazelbank, Lanarkshire, Scotland. He left Scotland (perhaps in 1850's) for the United States, settling in Illinois.

In 1858 in Illinois, he married another immigrant from Scotland named JOHANNA DRYSDALE, who was born 26 March 1839 in Edinburgh, daughter of ROBERT DRYSDALE and JENNIE HAYES DRYSDALE.

JOHANNA DRYSDALE came to the U.S. in 1849 (age 10)with her sister, AGNES DRYSDALE (age 12) and their widowed mother. Apparently the father, ROBERT DRYSDALE, had died in Glasgow shortly before they left for the U.S in 1849.

I have been unable to locate either the MORTON family or the DRYSDALE family in Scotland, and would very much appreciate help.

Re: Morton family from Hazelbank, Lanarkshire

Posted: 28 Jun 2008 4:06PM GMT
i am one of the hazelbank mortons my grand father was john morton born 1879 his father was robert morton born in lesmahagow in 1832 his wife was a jane ratho married in 1869 in lesmahagow all of big families. have you names on tree but so far havent got them all in thr right place working on it at the moment john was born in hazelbank. hope to be of some help mary.

Posted: 28 Jun 2008 8:57PM GMT
Hello Mary -

It's good to hear from someone who has at least heard of the Morton family from Hazelbank (and the nearby vicinity). I was beginning to think that I might never find a family member who would be willing to help me locate the parents of my great-great grandfather, James Morton.

I think one of the first things I'll need to do is to find a map of Scotland online and get a close-up image of Lanarkshire. At the moment, I have no idea where either Hazelbank or Lesmahagow is, but I assume they aren't far away from each other.

Another family researcher, who was born in Scotland but has lived in the U.S. for over 40 years, told me that she thought my James Morton was the son of Andrew Morton and Janet Sandilands. She said that Andrew and Janet had at least ten children. She provided me with a list of ten names for the children, but no dates, and no proof that my particular James Morton was related to any of them.

On the other hand, there is some slight evidence that the name Andrew was an important one to my great-great grandfather. He named his first son Andrew, and when that son died not long after his birth, James used the name Andrew again for his second son. He evidently wanted very much to have a son named Andrew.

I wish I could provide you with more facts pertaining to my James Morton's family in Scotland, but I only know about his descendants, and not his ancestors. I descend through his oldest daughter, who was named Isabella. Isabella was my paternal grandmother's mother. Although Isabella, my grandmother, and my father were all born in Illinois, I myself was not. I was born in Michigan, and that's where I now live.

Thank you for replying to my query regarding my Scot ancestry. I hope to hear from you again.

Sincerely,
Linda

Posted: 29 Jun 2008 12:05PM GMT
Hello Linda

I've just caught up with your posts and I understand that MORTON's were many in various parts of Scotland. Your post mentioned James and Andrew MORTON and Janet SANDILANDS.

My James MORTON:
1 James MORTON b. <12 May 1778 Darvel, AYR SCO d. 5 Nov 1845 Darvel, AYR SCO (Parents: John MORTON & Mary SANDYLANDS)
m. Helen GILCHRIST m. 27 Mar 1802 Darvel, AYR SCO b. <15 Oct 1784 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO d. 3 Jun 1859 Darvel, AYR SCO
[daughter of William GILCHRIST and Janet CAMERON]

2 John MORTON b. <4 Mar 1804 Loudon, AYR, SCO
m. Agnes MAIR m. 14 Feb 1829 b. 15 Oct 1808 Darvel, AYR SCO
[daughter of Matthew MAIR and Helen JAMIESON]

3 James MORTON b. 12 Dec 1829 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO

3 Helen MORTON b. 17 Nov 1832 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO

3 Matthew MORTON b. 31 May 1835 Darvel, AYR SCO

3 Agnes MORTON b. 18 Mar 1838 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO

3 Agnes MORTON b. 9 Aug 1840 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO

3 John MORTON b. 19 Mar 1843 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO

3 John MORTON b. 30 Dec 1845 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO

2 William MORTON b. 5 Apr 1806 Loudon, AYR, SCO d. 11 Jun 1866 East Main St, Darvel, AYR SCO
m. Jean RUSSELL m. 16 Nov 1833 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO b. c1811 d. c15 Jul 1847
[daughter of William RUSSEL and Jean ANDERSON]

3 Jean MORTON b. 13 Jul 1834 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO

3 James MORTON b. 29 Jul 1838 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO

3 James MORTON b. 2 Aug 1840 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO

3 Helen MORTON b. c1842 Darvel, AYR SCO

3 William MORTON b. c1845 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO

3 Daniel MORTON b. Jun 1847 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO

2 Janet MORTON b. 3 Jun 1808 Loudon, AYR, SCO
m. William MILLER

2 Mary MORTON b. 12 Jun 1810 Loudon, AYR, SCO
m. Thomas MONTGOMERY m. 8 Aug 1835 Loudoun, AYR SCO

3 Helen MONTGOMERY

2 Andrew MORTON b. 21 Jul 1812 Loudon, AYR, SCO d. 12 Apr 1912 London, LON ENG
m. Marion NISBET m. 16 Nov 1833 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO
[daughter of Robert NISBET and Jean PATERSON]

3 Jean MORTON b. 16 Feb 1834 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO

3 James MORTON b. 22 May 1836 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO

3 Robert MORTON b. 29 Jul 1838 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO

3 Andrew MORTON b. 7 Feb 1841 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO

3 John MORTON b. 1844 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO

2 James MORTON b. 24 Nov 1814 Loudon, AYR, SCO d. 18 Mar 1887 East Main Street, Darvel, AYR SCO
m. Jean Mair CRAIG m. 16 Sep 1837 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO b. c1820 d. 31 Dec 1872
[daughter of Nicol CRAIG and Helen CLELAND]

3 James MORTON b. 5 Oct 1838 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO

3 Helen MORTON b. 7 Feb 1841 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO

3 Nicol MORTON b. 18 Jan 1846 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO

3 Janet/ Jessie MORTON b. 20 Jun 1848 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO

3 Jeannie (Mair Craig) MORTON b. 23 Sep 1851 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO

3 Margaret MORTON b. 21 Jul 1855 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO

3 Margaret MORTON b. 15 Jul 1860 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO

2 Jean MORTON b. 24 May 1817 Darvel, AYR, SCO

2 Thomas MORTON b. 10 Nov 1819 Darvel, AYR, SCO d. 28 Nov 1894 Armagh nr Clare, SA AUS
m. Janet WOODBURN m. 4 Jun 1842 Galston, AYR SCO b. 26 Mar 1821 Galston, AYR, SCO d. 30 Nov 1912 Clare, SA AUS
[daughter of William WOODBURN and Janet MAIR]

3 James MORTON b. 4 Aug 1842 Greenholme via Darvel, AYR, SCO d. 16 Sep 1913 Stanley Flat, SA AUS
m. Lucy LEWIS m. 3 May 1865 North Adelaide, SA, AUS b. 4 Jul 1845 Adelaide, SA AUS d. 4 Feb 1931 Reade Park, SA, AUS
[daughter of Robert LEWIS and Sarah PALMER]

3 William MORTON b. c1845 Greenholme via Darvel, AYR, SCO d. 6 Jan 1865 Echunga, SA, AUS

2 Helen MORTON b. 13 Feb 1822 Loudon, AYR, SCO d. c23 Nov 1822 Loudon Parish, AYR SCO

2 Robert MORTON b. 17 Mar 1824 Loudon, AYR, SCO d. 27 May 1904 Darvel, AYR, SCO
m. Christina FLEMING m. 22 May 1847 Parish Church, Loudon, AYR, SCO b. 8 Jun 1823 d. 31 Dec 1871
[daughter of James FLEMING and Mary CLELAND]

3 James MORTON Dr b. < 31 Oct 1849 Loudon, AYR, SCO

3 Robert MORTON b. <14 Nov 1851 Loudon, AYR, SCO d. 26 Apr 1913 of 14 Auckland St, Newcastle, NSW, AUS

3 John MORTON b. <31 Nov 1854 Loudon, AYR, SCO d. 27 Feb 1918

3 Mary MORTON b. 1 Feb 1857 Loudon, AYR, SCO d. 15 Aug 1915

3 William MORTON b. <9 Jun 1859 Loudon, AYR, SCO d. 1886 Hawai??

3 Gavin MORTON b. <13 Sep 1861 Loudon, AYR, SCO d. 14 Dec 1878

3 Andrew MORTON Dr b. <16 Feb 1865 Loudon, AYR, SCO d. 12 Apr 1912 London, MDX, ENG
m. Jessie Clark MORTON b. c1867 d. 27 May 1948
[daughter of Adam MORTON and Janet YOUNG]

2 Adam MORTON b. 3 Aug 1826 Darvel, AYR SCO d. 19 Feb 1913 Wingham, ONT CAN
m. Janet YOUNG b. 21 Nov 1825 SCO d. 1 Mar 1912 Brampton, PEE CAN
[daughter of Robert YOUNG and Janet CLARK]

3 James Alexander MORTON b. 1850 Lanarkshire, SCO d. 13 Oct 1932 Schuter St, Wingham, Huron County, CAN
m. Jessie Helena WOODS m. 5 May 1880 Brampton, PEEL Co, ONT CAN b. c1856 Feedonia, NY USA d. 2 Aug 1933 St Joseph Hospital, Victoria, B.C.
[daughter of Philander WOODS and Eliza WOODS]

3 Robert Edward MORTON b. c1850 SCO
m. Sarah Jane TRUEMAN m. 23 Oct 1873 Brampton, PEE ONT CAN b. c1853 Brampton, Chinguscousy Twp, PEE ONT CAN
[daughter of William TRUEMAN and Elizabeth TRUEMAN]

3 Jessie Clark MORTON b. c1867 d. 27 May 1948
m. Andrew MORTON Dr b. <16 Feb 1865 Loudon, AYR, SCO d. 12 Apr 1912 London, MDX, ENG
[son of Robert MORTON and Christina FLEMING]

I am descended from Thomas MORTON b. 1819 Darvel and Janet WOODBURN.

Glenys
in Adelaide, South OZ

Posted: 29 Jun 2008 4:51PM GMT
Hello Glenys,

How kind of you to take the time to write to me regarding my query about the parentage of my great-great grandfather, James Morton. It was generous of you to include so much information regarding your Morton ancestry. I only wish that I knew a fraction as much about my own Morton ancestry, but I do not. Perhaps someday, should I ever manage to locate the correct parents for my James Morton, it may turn out that your Mortons and my own are connected. At that point, I will be delighted to include your data in my own database - with your permission, of course.

Meanwhile, although I have the desire to do so, I haven't a shred of lineage beyond my immigrant ancestor, James Morton. Here is what I know with regard to him:

James Morton said to his wife and children that he was born on 31 December, 1832 at Hazelbank, Lanarkshire, Scotland. That is the extent of my information. I don't know when James Morton arrived in the United States, but have guessed that it was between 1848 and 1858. I also know that on 26 March, 1859 at St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri, he married another immigrant from Scotland: Johanna Drysdale. Johanna was born 26 March 1839 at Edinburgh. Johanna immigrated with her mother and her sister, Agnes, in 1849. She also had a younger brother, Alexander, who immigrated, but I am unsure whether he arrived at the same time as his mother and sisters. They were all here by the time of the 1860 census, when Alex(ander) "Drisdale" was living with his sister, Johanna and his brother-in-law, James Morton. Johanna's sister, Agnes, and her husband, Robert Haig, were living two houses away from James Morton's family group.

I found information on the internet that said both the surname Morton and the surname Drysdale are septs of the clan Douglas. That might have had some amount of significance in Scotland, and perhaps it then had some influence on James Morton in his choice of a mate. On the other hand, perhaps it played no role whatsoever in his choice, and it was only a coincidence that they both were technically considered part of the clan Douglas.

As I stated recently to Mary Davidson, I was told by another Morton researcher who was born in Scotland but now lives in the U.S., that my James Morton was the son of Andrew Morton and a Janet Sandilands. I have been unable to locate any verifying information to that effect. That researcher also said that Andrew's marriage took place on 14 January 1826 in Lanarkshire, Scotland. I have been unable to verify that information, either. She also gave me a list of ten children for that Andrew Morton, and indicated that there might have been even more than ten. She said that she herself descended from John Morton, who supposedly was a brother to my James.

The ten children attributed to Andrew Morton, beginning with my James, are as follows: James (1832-1887), Andrew, Jane (b. about 1826), Robert (b. about 1832, d. 1880), Christina, Gavin, Janet, Catherine, Marion, and Mary. The researcher told me that her Robert Morton (b. about 1832 in Lesmagahow and died there in 1880) married Elizabeth Stewart on 26 June 1857 at Strathhaven, Avondale, Lanarkshire, Scotland.

Since I have been unable to locate this Andrew Morton or verify his marriage and children, I have not connected my James to him at this point. As you know, I cannot simply depend upon hearsay. If I could, perhaps, locate a baptismal record that listed a matching birthdate for my James, and that listed his parents as Andrew and Janet (Sandilands) Morton, that would be a different matter. For now, however, I still do not know the parents of my James Morton, although I believe that an Andrew Morton was possibly his father. As I mentioned in my reply to Mary, the name Andrew was obviously of some importance to my James. James named his first son Andrew, and when that son died soon after birth, James re-used the name Andrew and gave it to his second son, also.

Thanks again for your thoughtful reply to my query. I hope that soon I might be able to connect my James to his proper family in Scotland.

Sincerely,
Linda

Posted: 29 Jun 2008 11:16PM GMT
Linda,

You could try the link below to Google Maps for Hazelbank which seems to be NNE of Lesmahagow by a couple of miles.

According to the LDS, a James Morton was born 31 Dec 1829 and baptised 13 Jan 1830 at the parish of Lesmahagow, Lanark - parents Andrew Morton and Janet Sandilands. This is confirmed at Scotlands People http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk where you will also be able to search for James parents marriage and siblings.

You can see a map for Lesmahagow, Lanark, South Lanarkshire, UK at http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=lesmahagow+lanark&...

HTH

Pat C

Posted: 30 Jun 2008 6:05AM GMT
Hi

In case you did not know, you posted a questions and Lanarkshire to the Ayrshire Board when it should have been posted on the Lanarkshire Board.

LKS Board: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~sctwgw/

Please do not post anymore to this thread here.

Regards

Alex

Board Admin

Posted: 8 Jul 2008 3:09AM GMT
Linda
Have you had a look at the 1851 census for Scotland - there are many James and Andrew MORTON's there-in.
Glenys

Posted: 19 Sep 2010 7:21PM GMT
Don't know if you are still researching bug I lived in Hazelbank during the war.
The Morton family were prominent members of the community. They owned fruit lands and we as young children, picked the berries, adults did too. I was back a couple of years ago and Mortons still live there, Not sure how many but one lives right on the edge of the river. That was owned by others when I lived there and we bought tomatoes from them. I would say if you walked up to where the old post office used to be you could look down on the Morton's property. Someone could help you.
I met a man who had visited Morton's. I think he said he was married to a Morton and lived in Australia.
Hope this helps if you haven't already got all the info you need
Rita Smith

Posted: 18 Oct 2010 6:32PM GMT
Surnames: mortons
Catching up with some of the posts. Icome from hazelbank and crossford and was a morton from orchardville( house on the hill at kirkfieldbank side one of the biggest orchards in the area) The house beside the water (WATERSIDE) IT IS NOW OCCUPIEDby a second cousin Derrick Morton his mum and dad lived at LAMMAS KNOWE across from park and uncle at Oatbank just next to it . I am doing the family tree at the moment and would love if you had any info. Dericks sister lived in Australia and her family are there. Most of the fruitgrowing has gone now very few tomato houses and a lot of the orchards have died out , a group of people are trying to get the orchards planted up again. Hope to hear from you Mary.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.