Search for content in message boards

Slaveholders 1800 to 1865

Slaveholders 1800 to 1865

Posted: 19 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Aug 2001 9:32PM GMT
Surnames: Jones, Middleton, Maltry, Scott, Humbles
Looking for any info on slaveholders in Lexington, VA,Rockbridge County in an effort to discover ancestors Polly Jones b.1841, Julia Humbles b.1833, Maurice Hamline Middleton b.1853. Any info on where to look at wills for slaveholders with the above surnames will be appreciated.

Re: Slaveholders 1800 to 1865

Posted: 2 Mar 2003 8:52PM GMT
Edited: 4 Mar 2004 4:38AM GMT
Surnames: MALTRY
I have a Phillip Maltry maried a Julia ?????.

Aurelia Brooks (View posts)
Posted: 2 Mar 2003 11:04PM GMT
Hi,

Your message was very exciting to me because I have not - until now - found any Maltry in Lexington or Rockbridge CO. VA. Could you give me more information on Philip Maltry and his Family? What time period did he live in this area? Were there any siblings named Ralph or children? Look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks,

Aurelia

Posted: 8 Dec 2011 6:33PM GMT
Surnames: SCOTT
I know your original post was years ago, but I am hoping that you are still able to reply. What was the source you used to look up slave holders during this period? I ask, because it might be of benefit to me, and help explain the lack of other governmental documentation for part of my family in Rockbridge County in the middle to late 1800's.

They reportedly were just outside of Brownsburg, possibly near Walker's Creek at the time of birth of my Great Grandfather, Andrew Willson Scott (spelled with two "L's" in his 1936 Social Security Number Application), b. 1875, Rockbridge County.

I cannot find ANYTHING about him in Rockbridge County (or Virginia for that matter), nor clear confirmation of his parents, George Washington Scott and Mary Susan Frances Moyers (aside from Andrew Scott stating so in his 1936 Social Security application). There is some confusion about which parent—but reportedly, one of them was of "Indian" heritage (as stated in the census of 1930 for their son Andrew Scott). There may also be some African heritage mixed in at some point. This further complicates research, as they may have "hidden" or misrepresented in enumeration as "black". My understanding is that slave documentation is difficult to match, especially with only a first name given on a list, if that; and not all Native American Rolls were complete and some inaccurate. Complicated.

So, for years this has been a large mystery and frustrating stone wall for me.

Andrew was categorized in the 1912 marriage index (in NC) as "black"; 1920 census (NC) as "black"; in 1930 census (OH) as "Indian" and in his 1936 Social Security Application (OH) also as "Indian". Perhaps it was not until 1930 that he felt (or was given the social/governmental opportunity) that he could be more comfortable in embracing the ethnicity "Indian"—no longer living in VA or NC. I have no pictures to even speculate with on Andrew.

I have an old, short telephone interview with one of Andrew's daughters (his youngest child and now deceased), and she spoke of Indian heritage indirectly. "We never even mentioned the word 'Indian' for fear of what someone might do to us". She went on to say that, "Indians were treated worse than blacks in those days."

Andrew's son (my maternal Grandfather), Walter M. Scott (deceased 3 months before my birth) was married 3 times, and his third wife (before she passed away) told me the Scott's were Cherokee.

I appreciate any help you might offer or point me to.

Richard Martin

Posted: 8 Dec 2011 9:26PM GMT
Hi,
I may or may not be able to give you a lead as to Scotts in Rockbridge County. Have you looked at the Chancery Records, Virginia Memory at the Library of Virginia? If you go to that site, enter Alexander in the surname box. Look for Major John Alexander. Within the court records there is a list of slaves owned by John Alexander. I looked at the list and did not see a Washington Scott, but there were several that took the name Scott after the war. Also the Virginia Military Institute site in Lexington has census records that may be better than Ancestry. I will ask someone I know in Lexington if they have any ideas for you. We have a Scott in our ancestry that comes through John Alexander's slaves. Did you look at Virginia Slave Births Index 1853-1865 for Rockbridge County? It is a part of the Alexandria Library Local History/Special Collections.
The Indians in that area were primarily Monacan.
If I find out anything I'll contact you.
A. Brooks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.