Search for content in message boards

Griffis/Minton Connection, Pulaski Co,KY

Griffis/Minton Connection, Pulaski Co,KY

Posted: 10 Oct 2007 1:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Griffis,Minton Stephens,Ballou
Hi,I have have been researching the Minton name for my Dad who was born in Pulaski County Ky. His father was John J Minton, also born there in 1866. My Dad remembers an Aunt whose name was Melissa Haley,but who everyone called "Lissie." She was born 7-10-1870 in Pulaski Co. and died at Sloan Valley 5-30-1935. John J and "Lissie's" Mother was Margaret "Pegga" Stephens Minton. When "Lissie" married Thomas Ballou in 1927,on the marriage license,her parents were listed as Sam Griffis and Pegga Stephens.The story told down thru the years was Margaret "Pegga" kept house for "Old Man Griffis" around the Somerset area.Has anyone else come across a Griffis-Minton connection? On the 1870 census for Pulaski co,the Griffis and Minton families are all living in the same general area. Any replies can be posted here or can email me directly. Thank You :)

Re: Griffis/Minton Connection, Pulaski Co,KY

Posted: 7 Mar 2008 2:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello. I am not sure how this family ties into my family, but I bet it does. In my research, I have found a William Henry Harrison Minton (1841-1931) who married two Griffis'. The first was Emily Griffis (1830-1909), the daughter of Samuel Griffis (1812-1870) and Lois Martin (1808-1887). The second was a much younger Canzada Griffis (1886-1981). Canzada was a great niece to William Minton's first wife Emily Griffis. William Minton was 78 when Canzada was 33 in the 1920 in Scott TN. I beleive this is correct, because I can trace him in several census records (with Emily as a wife in 1870, 1880 and 1900, and then with Canzada as his wife in 1910, 1920 and 1930, with the correct age spread in all years).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.