Search for content in message boards

COHEN and RABINOWITZ in Bessarabia, Romania; Abt. 1840>Latrobe, PA, USA

COHEN and RABINOWITZ in Bessarabia, Romania; Abt. 1840>Latrobe, PA, USA

Posted: 7 Jun 2003 11:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BASKIN, BLAUSTEIN, BYER, COHEN, FLEEGLER, GOLDBERG, MALLON, MIZRACHI, PERR, RABINOWITZ, ROSNER, RUBENIWITZ, SELEKMAN, TARR, WEINSTEIN, WEISS, WINNOKUR, WOLF
I'm trying to research my maternal side of my family by posting what information I have. This is an attempt to discover unknown cousins who might read my post and in turn share something with me.
Hopefully I'll hear from someone that might find a connection!

Generation No. 1

1. MORRIS1 COHEN was born Abt. 1840 in Bessarabia, Romania, and died Unknown in Unknown. He married LEAH RABINOWITZ Unknown in Unknown. She was born Abt. 1840 in Bessarabia, Romania, and died Unknown in Latrobe, Pennsylvania.

More About MORRIS COHEN and LEAH RABINOWITZ:
Marriage: Unknown, Unknown

Children of MORRIS COHEN and LEAH RABINOWITZ are:
2. i. KATIE2 COHEN, b. Abt. 1877, Besserabia, Romania; d. April 27, 1952, Pleasantville, New Jersey.
3. ii. ESTHER COHEN, b. Unknown, Unknown; d. Unknown, Unknown.
iii. LOTTIE COHEN, b. Unknown, Unknown; d. Unknown, Unknown; m. BARNEY WOLF, Unknown, Unknown; b. Unknown, Unknown; d. Unknown, Unknown.

More About BARNEY WOLF and LOTTIE COHEN:

4. iv. PEARL COHEN, b. Unknown, Unknown; d. Unknown, Unknown.
v. EMMA COHEN, b. Unknown, Unknown; d. Unknown, Unknown.

More About EMMA COHEN:
Fact 1: Abt. 1916, served in WWI as an Army nurse

5. vi. FANNY COHEN, b. Unknown, Unknown; d. Unknown, Unknown.

Generation No. 2

2. KATIE2 COHEN (MORRIS1) was born Abt. 1877 in Besserabia, Romania, and died April 27, 1952 in Pleasantville, New Jersey. She married SAMUEL BYER, son of ABRAHAM BYER. He was born Abt. 1860 in Odessa, Russia, and died 1942 in Pleasantville, N. J. (Workman's Circle Cemetery).

More About SAMUEL BYER:
Cause of Death: Heart failure

More About SAMUEL BYER and KATIE COHEN:
Death of one spouse: Abt. 1947

Children of KATIE COHEN and SAMUEL BYER are:
i. MAX3 BYER, m. LENA BASKIN.

Notes for LENA BASKIN:
Lena was born in Canada. A. K. A. Beatrice Fairfax who was a known columnist
for advice to the lovelorn.

6. ii. BENJAMIN OSCAR BYER.
7. iii. FANNY BYER, b. Abt. 1898, Unknown; d. Unknown, Unknown.
8. iv. MINNIE ESTHER BYER, b. February 02, 1902, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; d. August 24, 1960, Mt. Sinai Cemetery-Miami, FL.(Dade Co.).
9. v. ANNA RAY BYER, b. January 20, 1912; d. September 16, 1995, Ft. Lauderdale, FL.(Broward County).
vi. OLA FERN BYER, b. February 07, 1914, Indiana, Pennsylvania; m. BARNET COHEN, Unknown, Atlantic City, N. J. (Rabbi's Residence); b. October 03, 1904, Unknown; d. Abt. July 14, 1986, Ft. Lauderdale, FL. (Star of David Cemetery ) in Lauderhill.

Notes for OLA FERN BYER:
Aunt Fern worked at Sol's Delicatessen which was family owned and operated.
Partners were Uncle Sol Perr and Aunt Anna Ray.

Notes for BARNET COHEN:
Uncle Ben's life work was that he owned and drove a Jitney. Ben met F. D. R.
in the service and ended up having dinner with him at a later date.

More About BARNET COHEN:
Cause of Death: Alzheimers disease

More About BARNET COHEN and OLA BYER:
Marriage: Unknown, Atlantic City, N. J. (Rabbi's Residence)

10. vii. HERBERT HENRY BYER, b. October 07, 1917.
11. viii. RALPH RUBIN BYER, b. Unknown, Unknown; d. Abt. 1941, Pennsylvania.
12. ix. EDIE ROSNER EDITH EMMA BYER, b. Unknown, Unknown; d. Unknown, Unknown.
13. x. ETHEL BYER, b. Unknown, Unknown; d. Unknown, Unknown.
14. xi. SARA JANE BYER, b. Unknown, Unknown; d. Unknown, Unknown.

3. ESTHER2 COHEN (MORRIS1) was born Unknown in Unknown, and died Unknown in Unknown. She married WILLIAM SELEKMAN Unknown in Unknown. He was born Unknown in Unknown, and died Unknown in Unknown.

More About WILLIAM SELEKMAN and ESTHER COHEN:

Children of ESTHER COHEN and WILLIAM SELEKMAN are:
i. BEN3 SELEKMAN, b. Unknown.
ii. JENNIE LISSE SELEKMAN, b. Unknown.
iii. MAX SELEKMAN, b. Unknown.
iv. JACK SELEKMAN, b. Unknown.
v. UNKNOWN SELEKMAN, b. Unknown.
vi. MINNIE SELEKMAN, b. Unknown.
vii. SAM SELEKMAN, b. Unknown.
viii. ETHEL SELEKMAN, b. Unknown.
ix. HARRY SELEKMAN, b. Unknown.

4. PEARL2 COHEN (MORRIS1) was born Unknown in Unknown, and died Unknown in Unknown. She married MORRIS MALLON Unknown in Unknown. He was born Unknown in Unknown, and died Unknown in Unknown.

More About MORRIS MALLON and PEARL COHEN:

Children of PEARL COHEN and MORRIS MALLON are:
i. SELMA3 MALLON, b. Unknown.
ii. ANN MALLON, b. Unknown.
iii. THEODORE MALLON, b. Unknown.

5. FANNY2 COHEN (MORRIS1) was born Unknown in Unknown, and died Unknown in Unknown. She married ISSADOR FLEEGLER Unknown in Unknown. He was born Unknown in Unknown, and died Unknown in Unknown.

More About ISSADOR FLEEGLER and FANNY COHEN:

Children of FANNY COHEN and ISSADOR FLEEGLER are:
i. SAM3 FLEEGLER, b. Unknown.
ii. SAUL FLEEGLER, b. Unknown.
iii. EDITH FLEEGLER, b. Unknown.
iv. HARRY FLEEGLER, b. Unknown.

Generation No. 3

6. BENJAMIN OSCAR3 BYER (KATIE2 COHEN, MORRIS1) He married ETHEL WEINSTIEN in Altoona, Pa..

More About BENJAMIN BYER and ETHEL WEINSTIEN:
Marriage: Altoona, Pa.

Children of BENJAMIN BYER and ETHEL WEINSTIEN are:
15. i. EDITH4 BYER, b. Unknown, Unknown; d. Unknown, Unknown.
16. ii. MARVIN BYER, b. Unknown, Unknown; d. Unknown, Unknown.

7. FANNY3 BYER (KATIE2 COHEN, MORRIS1) was born Abt. 1898 in Unknown, and died Unknown in Unknown. She married IZZY TARR Unknown in Altoona, Pennsylvania. He was born Unknown in Unknown, and died Unknown in Unknown.

More About IZZY TARR and FANNY BYER:
Marriage: Unknown, Altoona, Pennsylvania

Children of FANNY BYER and IZZY TARR are:
17. i. EVELYN4 TARR, b. Unknown, Unknown; d. Unknown, Unknown.
ii. RHODA TARR, b. Unknown.

More About RHODA TARR:
Medical Information: mentally challenged.

8. MINNIE ESTHER3 BYER (KATIE2 COHEN, MORRIS1) was born February 02, 1902 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and died August 24, 1960 in Mt. Sinai Cemetery-Miami, FL.(Dade Co.). She married MARTIN WEISS Abt. 1927 in Juniata, Pennsylvania, son of WILLIAM WEISS and BERTHA. He was born June 15, 1898 in Hungary, and died May 31, 1981 in Mt. Nemo, North Miami(Dade Co.) (Source: Broderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 2, Ed. 5, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Date of Import: Jul 13, 1997, Internal Ref. #1.112.5.109967.135).

More About MINNIE ESTHER BYER:
Cause of Death: Metastatic Carcinoma of the Breast
Fact 11: 1955, cancer found- left breast removed
Fact 12: 1960, Miami Convalescent Home- 335 S. W. 12th Ave. (Dade Co.) FL.
Fact 13: August 26, 1960, Burial at Mt. Sinai Cemetery in Miami, FL. (Dade Co.)
Medical Information: 1955 cancer was found and left breast was removed. Interval between onset and death was 4 years.

Notes for MARTIN WEISS:
[Broderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 2 M-Z, Ed. 5, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Date of Import: Jul 13, 1997, Internal Ref. #1.112.5.109967.135]

Individual: Weiss, Martin
Social Security #: 186-10-2537
SS# issued in: Pennsylvania

Birth date: Jun 15, 1898
Death date: May 1981

Residence code: Florida

ZIP Code of last known residence: 33145
Primary location associated with this ZIP Code:

Miami, Florida

ZIP Code of address where death benefit payment was sent: 33130

Miami, Florida

United States Department of Commerce Publication
Vol. 883 Number 2
Official Gazette of the United States Patent Office
Patents- February 09, 1971
Weiss, Martin. Sewing machine button holding mechanism. 3,561,381,
Cl. 112-114

Vol. 902 Number 4
Patents- September 26, 1972
Weiss, Martin. Selective button holding attachment for sewing machines.
3,693,560, Cl. 112-114.000.

Vol. 917 Number 1
Patents- December 04, 1973
Weiss, Martin. Clamp arm on a single thread sewing machine for holding
fabric fasteners. 3,776,154, Cl. 112-114.000.

More About MARTIN WEISS:
Fact 1: Social Security #: 186-10-2537 (Source: Broderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 2, Ed. 5, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Date of Import: Jul 13, 1997, Internal Ref. #1.112.5.109967.135)
Fact 2: SS# issued in: Pennsylvania (Source: Broderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 2, Ed. 5, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Date of Import: Jul 13, 1997, Internal Ref. #1.112.5.109967.135)

More About MARTIN WEISS and MINNIE BYER:
Death of one spouse: August 24, 1960, Miami, Florida (Dade Co.)
Marriage: Abt. 1927, Juniata, Pennsylvania
Children of MINNIE BYER and MARTIN WEISS are:
i. LEONARD SANDERS4 WEISS, b. December 31, 1928, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
18. ii. WILMA RALPHYNE WEISS, b. July 12, 1942, Philadelphia, PA..

9. ANNA RAY3 BYER (KATIE2 COHEN, MORRIS1) was born January 20, 1912 (Source: Broderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 2, Ed. 5, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Date of Import: Jul 13, 1997, Internal Ref. #1.112.5.41316.79), and died September 16, 1995 in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.(Broward County) (Source: Broderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 2, Ed. 5, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Date of Import: Jul 13, 1997, Internal Ref. #1.112.5.41316.79). She married SOLOMON PERR January 24, 1933 in Atlantic City, New Jersey (Atlantic Co.), son of ISREAL PERR and ESTHER RUBENIWITZ. He was born December 22, 1908 (Source: Broderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 2, Ed. 5, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Date of Import: Jul 13, 1997, Internal Ref. #1.112.5.41316.122), and died November 23, 1991 (Source: Broderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 2, Ed. 5, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Date of Import: Jul 13, 1997, Internal Ref. #1.112.5.41316.122).

Notes for ANNA RAY BYER:
[Broderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 2 M-Z, Ed. 5, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Date of Import: Jul 13, 1997, Internal Ref. #1.112.5.41316.79]

Individual: Perr, Anna
Social Security #: 149-38-0270
SS# issued in: New Jersey

Birth date: Jan 20, 1912
Death date: Sep 17, 1995

ZIP Code of last known residence: 33319

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

More About ANNA RAY BYER:
Fact 1: Social Security #: 149-38-0270 (Source: Broderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 2, Ed. 5, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Date of Import: Jul 13, 1997, Internal Ref. #1.112.5.41316.79)
Fact 2: SS# issued in: New Jersey (Source: Broderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 2, Ed. 5, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Date of Import: Jul 13, 1997, Internal Ref. #1.112.5.41316.79)
Fact 13: September 19, 1995, Memorial Services at Ft. Lauderdale

Notes for SOLOMON PERR:
[Broderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 2 M-Z, Ed. 5, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Date of Import: Jul 13, 1997, Internal Ref. #1.112.5.41316.122]

Individual: Perr, Solomon
Social Security #: 138-03-4880
SS# issued in: New Jersey

Birth date: Dec 22, 1908
Death date: Nov 23, 1991

More About SOLOMON PERR:
Fact 1: Social Security #: 138-03-4880
Fact 2: SS# issued in: New Jersey (Source: Broderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 2, Ed. 5, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Date of Import: Jul 13, 1997, Internal Ref. #1.112.5.41316.122)

More About SOLOMON PERR and ANNA BYER:
Marriage: January 24, 1933, Atlantic City, New Jersey (Atlantic Co.)

Children of ANNA BYER and SOLOMON PERR are:
19. i. LAWRENCE R.4 PERR, b. September 16, 1935, Atlantic City, New Jersey; d. May 03, 1996, Sarasota, Florida.
20. ii. JUDITH PERR, b. 1940, Unknown.

10. HERBERT HENRY3 BYER (KATIE2 COHEN, MORRIS1) was born October 07, 1917. He married DEBRA BLAUSTEIN. She was born in Boston.

Children of HERBERT BYER and DEBRA BLAUSTEIN are:
i. STUART4 BYER, b. January 20, 1950.
ii. SHARON BYER, b. June 01, 1952.

11. RALPH RUBIN3 BYER (KATIE2 COHEN, MORRIS1) was born Unknown in Unknown, and died Abt. 1941 in Pennsylvania. He married JEAN Unknown in Atlantic City, N. J.. She was born Unknown in Unknown, and died Unknown in Unknown.

More About RALPH RUBIN BYER:
Cause of Death: accident crushed him in a Pennsylvania Shipyard

More About RALPH BYER and JEAN:
Marriage: Unknown, Atlantic City, N. J.

Child of RALPH BYER and JEAN is:
i. RALPHENE4 BYER.

12. EDIE ROSNER EDITH EMMA3 BYER (KATIE2 COHEN, MORRIS1) was born Unknown in Unknown, and died Unknown in Unknown. She married IRVING ROSNER Unknown in Unknown. He was born Unknown in Unknown, and died Unknown in Unknown.

More About IRVING ROSNER and EDITH BYER:

Children of EDITH BYER and IRVING ROSNER are:
21. i. CARL L.4 ROSNER, b. August 08, 1929, Atlantic City, N. J..
22. ii. MURIEL ROSNER, b. Unknown, Unknown; d. Unknown, Unknown.
iii. ARNOLD ROSNER, b. Unknown; m. NANCY.

13. ETHEL3 BYER (KATIE2 COHEN, MORRIS1) was born Unknown in Unknown, and died Unknown in Unknown. She married JULE GOLDBERG Unknown in Unknown. He was born Unknown in Unknown, and died Unknown in Unknown.

More About JULE GOLDBERG and ETHEL BYER:

Child of ETHEL BYER and JULE GOLDBERG is:
i. MELVIN4 GOLDBERG, b. Unknown.

14. SARA JANE3 BYER (KATIE2 COHEN, MORRIS1) was born Unknown in Unknown, and died Unknown in Unknown. She married JOE MIZRACHI Unknown in Unknown. He was born Unknown in Unknown, and died Unknown in Unknown.

More About JOE MIZRACHI and SARA BYER:

Children of SARA BYER and JOE MIZRACHI are:
i. ZIONA4 BYER, b. Unknown.
ii. RUEL BYER, b. Unknown, Unknown; d. Unknown, Unknown; m. CARMEN, Unknown, Unknown; b. Unknown, Unknown; d. Unknown, Unknown.

More About RUEL BYER and CARMEN:

Generation No. 4

15. EDITH4 BYER (BENJAMIN OSCAR3, KATIE2 COHEN, MORRIS1) was born Unknown in Unknown, and died Unknown in Unknown. She married OSCAR WINNOKUR Unknown in Unknown. He was born Unknown in Unknown, and died Unknown in Unknown.

More About EDITH BYER:
Medical Information: died of cancer at a very young age.

More About OSCAR WINNOKUR and EDITH BYER:

Children of EDITH BYER and OSCAR WINNOKUR are:
i. STEWART5 WINNOKUR.
ii. STEVEN WINNOKUR.

16. MARVIN4 BYER (BENJAMIN OSCAR3, KATIE2 COHEN, MORRIS1) was born Unknown in Unknown, and died Unknown in Unknown. He married FLORENCE Unknown in Unknown. She was born Unknown in Unknown, and died Unknown in Unknown.

More About MARVIN BYER and FLORENCE:

Children of MARVIN BYER and FLORENCE are:
i. RALPH5 BYER, b. Unknown.
ii. KAREN SUE BYER, b. Unknown.
iii. LYNN BYER, b. Unknown.

17. EVELYN4 TARR (FANNY3 BYER, KATIE2 COHEN, MORRIS1) was born Unknown in Unknown, and died Unknown in Unknown. She married RUBENSTEIN Unknown in Unknown. He was born Unknown in Unknown, and died Unknown in Unknown.

More About EVELYN TARR:
Cause of Death: complications from diabetes

More About RUBENSTEIN and EVELYN TARR:

Child of EVELYN TARR and RUBENSTEIN is:
23. i. JANICE5 RUBENSTEIN, b. Abt. 1940, Unknown.

Thanks!
Matthew S. Lindsay
1613 12th St. Dr. W.
Palmetto, FL 34221
http://www.matthewlindsay.com
MSLindsay1@hotmail.com

Re: COHEN and RABINOWITZ in Bessarabia, Romania; Abt. 1840>Latrobe, PA, USA

Ziona (View posts)
Posted: 6 Nov 2003 2:08AM GMT
Hi Matthew,

I am your California cousin, Ziona, (your mom's first cousin) and I can provide you with a bit of missing information about the Byer- Mizrachi branch of the family.

Sara Jane Byer was born in Altoona/Latrobe PA on April 25, 1909.

Joseph Mizrachi was born in Kiev, Russia on October 9, 1909. He had one sister, Sarah, and three brothers; Sholom, Meyer and Ben. They moved from Russia to Philadelphia. My father stayed in The States, but his family lived in Israel in the late 1920s. They bought a citrus orchard, and were shipping fruit to England and Germany. The house that Wolf Mizrachi, my father's dad, built with his sons, my father included, had American plumbing. It's built of Jerusalem stone, and it's still standing!

Sara Jane Byer and Joseph Mizrachi were married in Philadelphia, PA. about 1931. Sara Jane passed away on October 7, 1995, at the age of 86. Joseph passed away on May15, 1990 at the age of 80.

I was born Ziona Mizrachi in Pittsburgh, PA on June 8,1938.

Ruel Mizrachi was born in New York in 1940.

Sara Jane (Byer) Mizrachi was a registered nurse. She attended nursing school in Philadelphia. She was the only one of her brothers and sisters who had a formal education beyond high school. Joe was a jeweler and watch repairer. We lived in the Bronx, New York from about 1939 until October 1948. Then we moved to Los Angeles.

I am a retired school teacher. I taught special education for 36 years. I was married and divorced in my twenties. My last name is now Rotter. I did not have any children.

Ruel Mizrachi was a probation officer and director of a youth detention camp for Los Angeles County. Carmen is his second wife, and they have no children together.
He was first married to an Israeli girl, Naomi. He has a daughter, Jodi Ordonez, who is married and has one 7 year old daughter, and a son, Loren, who has a four year old daughter named Ariel. Jody is a teacher. She served in the Army for 4 years. Loren is a video editor.

I'm glad I discovered your ancestry search page, Matthew. I hope I have helped your efforts a bit. I know there's a family site with an access code, but I don't have the code.

Love,

Your cousin Zi (Cuzi)

Re: COHEN and RABINOWITZ in Bessarabia, Romania; Abt. 1840>Latrobe, PA, USA

dave (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2003 7:29PM GMT
Hello,
I am also researching my father's geneology. His dad, Morris Cohen, born in Romania, Russia before 1900. He died in New York in 1952. I think he was in his 80's. He was married to a Sheva Cohen. He migrated to the US around 1917. His wife Sheva died in Russia from child birthing. Morris Cohen sent for his 5 children. One of whom was my dad, Isadore Cohen, brother Samuel Cohen, sisters Ruth, Anna & Lena. They arrived in the US in March, 1920. I do have a copy of his passport complete w/photo and immigration papers.
Morris Cohen's father was a rabbi, I believe in Bocovina, Russia. If you would like additional info, please feel free to contact me.
Sincerely, Dave
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.