Search for content in message boards

William Jasper Clifton

William Jasper Clifton

Dennis Gurley (View posts)
Posted: 1 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clifton, Todd, Freeman, Sanford, Davis
Searching for information on William Jasper Clifton b. February 22, 1851 in Fayette County, Alabama d. September 18, 1898, married Mary Malissa/Malissie Todd/Strickland/Osborn or Osburn July 8, 1869 in Fayette County, Alabama.

Parents of William Jasper were John Wesley Clifton b. abt. 1813 in South Carolina d. June 9, 1851 in Fayette County, Alabama married Nancy Freeman abt. 1845 in Fayette County, Alabama daughter of David Freeman and Sarah Davis.

William Jasper had one brother, James A. Clifton b. January 14, 1846 Fayette County, Alabama d. October 28, 1848 Fayette County, Alabama and one sister, Sarah Ann b. September 2, 1848 Fayette County, Alabama d. February 1, 1914 in Pontotoc County, Mississippi.

Mary Malissa had a sister, Jeneshua Emma who is my other maternal great grandmother. These two being sisters made my grandparents first cousins when they were married. Marriage records at the Fayette County, Alabama Courthouse shows a Mary M. Strickland to have married a M. O. Osborn/Osburn October 4, 1866 then marrying William J. Clifton July 8, 1869. In these same marriage records Jeneshua E. Strickland is shown as marrying John R. Sanford who was my other maternal great grandfather.

However, four grandchildren of the herein above mentioned all state that Mary Malissa and Jeneshua Emma had the maiden surname of "Todd". From this I am assuming they had yet possibly another marriage prior to these herein mentioned. None of these grandchildren can furnish names or any other information on parents, possible siblings or other possible relatives of Mary Malissa Todd and Jeneshua Emma Todd.

I would like to have, and will be tremendously greatful for any information on the herein mentioned ancestors and especially factual information that could clear up the mystery of the surname of my two maternal great grandmothers, Mary Malissa and Jeneshua Emma. I have been unable to find them under any name in 1850, 1860 and 1870 census reports from various states.

Re: William Jasper Clifton

Posted: 2 Aug 2001 3:44AM GMT
Edited: 30 Oct 2001 1:27PM GMT
I have a RANSOM TODD, b. c 1829-Rutherford, TN & d. after 11-21-1852-Cannon, TN.
He married 11-21-1852-Cannon, TN to MALISSA DUNCAN.
According to 1860 Madison Co., Ark-War Eagle Twp, Malissa was 25 years of age.
Children of RANSOM and MALISSA: Roxanah (7), Berry (4), William D. (2) and *Linda Mitchell (14).
Linda Mitchell was obviously not RANSOM's child. She may have been adopted or the child of MALISSA before she married RANSOM.
Hope these names are on your tree.
Good luck. Nancy.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.