Search for content in message boards

Daber, Germany

Daber, Germany

Posted: 21 Jan 2012 12:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: PAGEL, KAMPOVSKY
I am stuck and hoping someone might help me. I am tracing a man and wife (Carl and Hulda Pagel) who lived in Ellerbek, Germany (near Kiel) in 1911. They came to this country in Mar, 1911. Hulda lists her nearest relative on the Passenger Manifest as Emilie Moritz in Daber, Germany. Carl Jr. (son of Carl and Hulda) lists Daber, Germany as his father's place of birth on his marriage application in 1915. I have done google maps and there is an Alt Daber in Brandenburg. I have checked Meyers Orts and there are 7 Daber, Germany listings. Aside from the fact that I have not been able to translate the listings in Meyers, I am struggling to determine which Daber they were from. Has anyone else come across Daber, Germany? How were you able to determine which one your relatives were from? I have tried familysearch.org, but without an idea as to where in Germany Daber is located, I haven't been able to pinpoint which Carl Pagel is the one I'm looking for. Any advice / answers welcome! Thanks!

Re: Daber, Germany

Posted: 21 Jan 2012 5:38PM GMT
Not easy....certainly Alt is the best known one, there's also a town in Pomerania/Poland that was once called Daber but it's a long way from Kiel. I'd pick the one nearest Kiel, there may have been a Daber in what is now Wesselburen, about 12km west of Heide. Also post on the S-H message board, and perhaps find someone more familiar with the area.

Re: Daber, Germany

Posted: 22 Jan 2012 6:08PM GMT
Thank you! I appreciate your response! I saw the listing for the one you were referring to near Poland on an old map in Kreis Saatzig and wondered if that might be it. After consulting some surname distribution maps, Pagel seems to be quite concentrated on the German/Polish border, however they also pop up in Brandenburg and Kiel. Frustrating!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.