Search for content in message boards

Lancaster PA Rutters? (Newton Russell Rutter's heritage)

Lancaster PA Rutters? (Newton Russell Rutter's heritage)

Posted: 6 Jul 2010 7:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Newton Russell Rutter
I am trying to find a family tree beyond my own name as I have almost no information on my heritage short of bits and pieces my father's fuzzy memory reveals to me.

I am Newton Russell Rutter 4th (and yes there is a 5th now)

My ggrandfather was Newton Russell Rutter Sr and born sometime in 1912 or 1914(according to my old man)

Newton Edward Rutter, Katherine Foy, Michael Foy, Ethel Rutter, and supposedly Newton Isaac Rutter are also related somehow. The only information I have is that supposedly Newton Isaac Rutter was in the Phillipine American war 7th cavalry Company C according to my father, except everyone prior said he was in the spanish american war.

As you can see its a bit of a pain to piece these pieces together. Most of my Aunts and uncles are in Philadelphia.

Re: Lancaster PA Rutters? (Newton Russell Rutter's heritage)

Posted: 7 Jul 2010 1:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rutter
Hello, My 3rd Gr Grandfather was Isaac Newton Rutter b.July 1820 Leacock Township, Lancaster CO, PA d. 20 Jan 16 died KC Mo, Buried Pawnee,OK. I cam't find an Enoch in my database. I would suggest contacting the Mennonite Genealogy Center in Lancaster, also the Lancaster Co Genealogy Center. I would presume that we are possibly related because of the name 'Newton Isaac". Perhaps your
ancestor was by one of my Isaac's siblings.....?
My 'immigrant' Rutter:
Mennonite Germans, mostly linen weavers from Crefeld settled Germantown, PA in 1683 under the tutelage of their minister, Francis Daniel Pastorius who arrived Aug 16th, 1683 on the "America". He brought with him an English maid, Jane Douglas a nd a German man-servant named Conrod Rutter who were married. Their children attended the school provided by Pastorius.
They settled between the Schuykill and Delaware rivers where Conrad helped Pastorius lay out the town plan for Germantown.
On 3 Jan 1733 Conrad Rutter received 588 acres in Leacock Twp, Lancaster Co, PA from th Penn family, proprietors of the colony. It was located between the Old Philadelphia Pike and Ridge Road. He lived there until his death. He, his wife and his son Conrad, Jr's family were buried there. The graveyard has been ploughed over. A stone with a bronze tablet was erected in his memory in 1930 by the Conrad Rutter Family Reunion Association of America. In his will of 19 Apr 1734 he divided his plantation, as it was called then, among his sons Joseph, Peter and Conrad, Jr. Eight years before his death he made possible th building of the Old Christ Episcopal Church which was situated on his plantation and along Old Philadelphia Pike. Their religion was probably William Penn's Quaker doctrine originally. The Mennonite Historical Society, Lancaster, PA has records on the Rutters though none have been documented as having been Mennonite.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

The first representative of the Rutter family in Lancaster county of whom anything definite is know was Conrad Rutter, who left Rhenish Prussia in 1682, going to England to escape the French war, and came to America the following year, making his home in Philadelphia. He was one of the colony of thirteen families who under the leadership of Francis Danielson Pastorius took up the land which is now the site of the city of Germantown. There he remained until 1689, when he removed to Montgomery county, where he took up land and made his home until 1700, in that year going into Lancaster county with some English families by the name of Douglass and settling in Salisbury township.
Conrad still later moved into Leacock township, where he secured 580 acres of land in one piece. He had 2 neighbors, Peter and Henry Skiles.
Conrad was instrumental in founding the First Episcopal Church in Lancaster county, one hundred and seventy-one years ago.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.