Search for content in message boards

Richard (Uncle Dickey) Wood

Richard (Uncle Dickey) Wood

Posted: 26 Feb 2003 2:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have article of (Uncle Dickey)s tombstone and four wives buried beside him.. The article was in a Patrick Co. Va. newspaper (year unknown) ,but gives info. on relatives ,wives and allllllllllllllll 18 children of his and the four wives.I am kin and if anyone wants article would love any other info. or pics of wood family.. thanks

Re: Richard (Uncle Dickey) Wood

Clint Sloan (View posts)
Posted: 27 Feb 2003 12:53AM GMT
Surnames: Wood
Dear Bryan,
I am also a family member. I'm an internist in Hurricane, WV. I recieved your email on 2-25-03 about my relatives John Wood b. 1795 and Lydia Bryant Wood b. 1811, and daug. of Ambrose Bryant. I have quite a bit of information on on Richard "Dickey" Wood and his ancestors and descendants. If you will give me your address, I will mail you all I have. I'm not sure I can successfully email it, so it would be better if I mail it.
I would love to have a copy of the newspaper article you spoke about and a photo of him if one is available.
I'm having trouble discovering the connection between Richard "Dickey" and John Wood married to Lydia Bryant Wood. I know they are related, I just can't figure out exactly how. I can tell you that Richard
"Dickey's" son by Rachael Cochram was Henry Wood. Henry and John Wood and their wives allegedly moved to Indiana about 1840 or there abouts. I can also tell you that Richard "Dickey's" son by another wife, Elizabeth Betsey Dehart, was Andrew Jackson "Jack" Wood. Jack married John & Lydia Wood's daughter, Ellytha Wood. Family tradition says that John Wood may have died in Indiana or on the way back to Virginia, but Henry Wood & his wife Nancy Bryant Wood (Lydia Bryant Wood's sister) stayed in Indiana.
John's wife Lydia moved back to VA & stayed with family in Patrick Co. Her children later moved to WV with their wives. About 1860 the kids sent to VA for their mother and she moved to WV. She died in 1895 and is buried in Mt. Moriah Cemetery in Putnam Co., WV.
Just out of interest, John & Lydia Wood had 6 children. Their son Joel Wood, had John Henry Wood, who had Lewis Samuel "Sam" Wood, who had Icley Wood Sloan, my mother.
Well, I hope you can see from the above connections why I believe John and Richard are somehow related. If their is anything you can do to help me solve this riddle, I would be so greatly indebted to you. The only other thing I can tell you about John is that from a Montgomery Co. deed I found that he was "John Jr., born 1895, and son of John Sr." Also, both John & Lydia lived in the part of Montgomery Co., VA that became Floyd Co. in 1831. It appears to me that this area is very close to Wood's Gap.

Sincerely,

Clint Sloan
skymist064@hotmail.com
304-562-7080

Elizabeth Taylor (View posts)
Posted: 27 Feb 2003 1:08PM GMT
Is there an Emmeo Audie Listed as one of the children? She was my G Grandmother, and we can't find any info on her but her tombstone.

Bryan Garrett (View posts)
Posted: 27 Feb 2003 5:51PM GMT
Havent seen a Emmue yet,but will let u know if the name pops up.

Karen Thompson (View posts)
Posted: 7 Mar 2003 7:47AM GMT
I too am related to "Uncle Dicky"from the info I have Richard is the son of John Wood and unknown wife. I come from Richards marriage to Rachel and their son German who fathered my g grandfather Alexander Newton who fathered my grandfather Samuel "Dewey"Wood. Do you know if Capt. Abraham Wood is related to us or not? This info was sent to me by my aunt and I haven't had time to check anything out yet and I don't know her source as of yet. Possibly the WOOD GENERAL REUNION BOOKLET FROM MAY 30, 1936 By the way I'd be interested in any thing you have on the Wood tree. Thanks.

Bryan Garrett (View posts)
Posted: 10 Mar 2003 1:52AM GMT
Hello Karen,
My G-moms father was Connor Wood which was a son of Sparrell Wood and Ida Belle Rakes. Richard was my 4th great grandfather. I have this article my g-mom gave me with a picture of his tombstone and four wives buried beside him. the article was in a unknown news paper and gives all of his wives names and all the kids they had. If u e-mail me your fax number or mailing address, will gladly send it to you.. Take care Bryan

Karen (View posts)
Posted: 10 Mar 2003 10:29PM GMT
I would greatly appreciate the info. If you will send me a e-mail to the above addy I will give you my home address as I don't have a fax. In case e-mail addy doesn't show up it's: unicornangelpn@yahoo.com

Posted: 25 Jul 2003 4:43AM GMT
Edited: 29 Aug 2007 12:15PM GMT
Surnames: Wood, Tibbets, Sloan, Little, Smith
Would you have a Richard Wood that came to Clermont Co., Ohio about 1814, died in 1829. He had daughters Amy Wood b.1805 in Ohio, m. 1829 to John B. Tibbets b. 1808, Anna Wood m. Josiah Sloan and Sidney Wood m. Stansbury Little, all marriages in Clermont Co. late 1820's .1820 census in Clermont says Richard also had three sons, but still unknown who they were. Richard Wood's will was found recently that gives this info on his daughters and also mentions a Zedekiah Wood b. 1803 in Virginia, he m. Lydia Smith in Clermont Co..We do not know how Zedekiah fits in with Richard's family. Also need the parents of Lydia Smith. These families then moved on to Indiana early 1830's and into Illinois, Mo. and Kansas. Any info would be so appreciated in finding any info on Richard Wood or these other family members. Do not have name of his wife. Thanks, Carolyn

Clint Sloan (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2003 1:13AM GMT
I'm so sorry Carolyn, but the Richard Wood you are talking about is different from mine.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.