Ancestry

Search for content in message boards

Morgans of Sri Lanka (Ceylon)

Morgans of Sri Lanka (Ceylon)

Posted: 15 Apr 2002 12:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Morgan Ludekens
I am trying to trace descendants/ancestors of James Morgan. Thought to be a sergeant in the Irish Gaurds. Known descendent, Edmund Linnet B Morgan married to Georgiana Ludekens.

Re: Morgans of Sri Lanka (Ceylon)

Posted: 16 Mar 2010 1:30PM GMT
My great grand mother in Ceylon was a Morgan. I don't know if she is the feom the descendant family you are looking for but the her family goes back to the early 1800 when one of her ancestors came to Ceylon as an interperator. He had a Welch first name which I can' remember. My great grandmothers name is Zoe Morgan. She married into the de Saram family of Ceylon.
Ann

Posted: 17 Mar 2010 4:47PM GMT
Hi, My great grand mother was Zoe Morgan. Her line of the family went back to the early 1800's in Sri Lanka. On the internet I found the ancestor of the Morgan's who originally came to SL as an interpretor. He had a welsh first name but i don't remember the name.
Ann

Posted: 23 Oct 2010 12:32AM GMT
Hi,I know of one morgans in srilanka, one was Elmo morgan,who passed away this year, in his ancestry was one sir Richard morgan who was chief justice in then ceylon. and few other morgans in his family left behind in srilanka

Posted: 24 Jul 2012 8:24PM GMT
sorry I just found your email. Sir Richard Morgan is an ancestor of mine. Do you know any other Morgan's that would be connected to Richard who are still alive and how can I contact them?
Ann

Posted: 26 Jul 2012 3:01AM GMT
The youngest of the Morgans ' uncle sonaboy' past a away Sunday last week, he leaves behind the two sisters living in cmb , baby and chikie,

Posted: 21 Dec 2015 10:16PM GMT
Classification: Birth
Edited: 22 Dec 2015 12:06AM GMT
Surnames: MORGAN
Dear Jayarajah1. Hate to tell you this but Elmo Morgan's ancestor was NOT Sir Richard Morgan. Elmo was the grandson of Edmund Morgan of County Cork Eire. Elmo Morgan is the son of Bernice Morgan (Daughter Eldest Daughter of Edmund). This is not the first time that I have seen the confusion between Sir Richard Morgan's family and the family of Edmund Morgan, and I am becoming a little tired of it. Malcolm Jansze had been posting this nonsense out there and had gone as so far as to tell me that himself when I once spoke to him on the telephone. I would like to know where he got his facts from because they are certainly incorrect. To be frank, had Malcolm been alive today; I would have an injunction to stop him from publishing his theories without proof. He tried to tell me that my Great Grand father Edmund Morgan was born in India. Funny that; as I have his birth certificate that has him born to Major James Morgan; a member of the Irish Guards who was stationed in India. James Morgan had 10 plus children who were adults and adolescents when he was sent to India with his Regiment. James and his wife Louisa took with them; their youngest son only (who was Edmund ) then about 11 years of age. Edmund Junior set fire to the British Army ammunition dump and was sent off to what was then The Dominion of British Ceylon with the Christian Brothers to a place called Jaffna. There Edmund's spirit was broken and he grew to adulthood. His parents abandoned him in Ceylon and returned to Ireland.

As a young man, Edmund moved to Colombo and worked as a piano tuner at Caves. The owner of that business (Mr Cave) was like a father to Edmund.

Edmund met and married Mable Priscilla BILSBOROUGH, daughter of William Bilsborough of Edinburgh Scotland and Priscilla Pereira. They had three children; Bernice , Edmund, and Norah. Norah died in infancy.

Elmo is the son of Bernice and I am the grandson of Edmund; who is the son of Edmund Jnr. Bernice also had a daughter Arlene.

Arlene married Richard PECK, and had four children; James Edward, Sherrine Joan (now deceased - April 2015) Romaine Maria and Jeremy Richard.

THERE ARE NO MEMBERS OF ELMO'S FAMILY RESIDING IN WHAT IS NOW KNOWN AS SRI LANKA. EVERY MEMBER OF THE MORGAN FAMILY INCLUDING MY NOW LATE MOTHER HAVE RESIDED IN AUSTRALIA FOR 54 YEARS.

Edmund died in The Dominion of British Ceylon aged 38 years. Born 1870 - Died 1908.

Though we share the same surname, the family of Sir Richard Morgan and my Great Great Grand Father Edmund Morgan; are NOT connected. I dare say, Sir Richard Morgan is of Welsh origin whereas Edmund Morgan was born in County Cork, Eire (Southern Ireland).

The surname Morgan is originally of Scots origin and are part of the ancient Clan MacKAY. Over a period of time The Morgans (like most Scots) wandered far and wide, travelling to England, Wales and Ireland.

I have attached a photograph of Edmund Morgan to this post. This is the grandfather of Elmo Morgan. I REITERATE, THERE ARE NO MORGANS (EDMUND'S DESCENDANTS) LIVING IN SRI LANKA FOR THE SINCE 1961 WHEN THE ISLAND WAS KNOWN AS CEYLON.

The photograph attached below is that of Edmund MORGAN (My Great Great Grand Father)

Grant ARMSTRONG
Senior Forensic Investigator B.For. Sc.
Drouin. Victoria
Attachments:

Posted: 23 Apr 2016 8:20AM GMT
Surnames: Morgans ceylon
The Morgans in Ceylon came from India and the De Sarums are Sinhalese Closely related to the Bandanayakes
per page

Find a board about a specific topic