Search for content in message boards

Preferred Facts - Census

Preferred Facts - Census

Posted: 14 Nov 2010 12:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
In the right hand column in FTM 2011, I customized to show census. Only the preferred census appears. Why do we have to mark census as preferred? In merging it asks the same question. I never know how to answer so I leave it as alternate. I would like to be able to show all census in the right hand column. That way I know which census I have merged. You can't unmark a preferred census without making another one preferred. I can understand making a birth date preferred but it doesn't make any sense for census data.

Re: Preferred Facts - Census

Posted: 14 Nov 2010 2:28AM GMT
Piper, meaning no disrespect, it sounds like you may be quite new to the program as you appear to be missapplying terms such as designating a "census" as "preferred". The term "preferred" refers to the designation of one of several "facts" which may present slightly different sourcing information for the same "fact".

For example, regarding a "birth fact"...you may have 3 different "facts" each having one or multiple sources...

Birth 11 Aug 1917 - 5 sources
Birth abt 1918 - 1 source
Birth abt 1917 - 1 source

It is from these birth "facts" that you must designate a "preferred" fact. While each might be sourced from a "census" or some other source (eg. birth registration, birth certificate etc.), you are not designating the census itself as "preferred".

I hope that begins to clarify things for you.

Posted: 14 Nov 2010 4:06AM GMT
Thanks for your reply. I fully understand making one of three birth date facts as the preferred date. What I don't understand is I have an 1850 census, I have an 1860 census and I have an 1840 census. I have to designate (make) one of them the preferred census. Why would one census be designated as preferred over another? I am speaking mainly of the census date. I would really like to see that I have data from all census years that I have pulled from (in the right-hand column of FTM 2011). Actually I haven't paid much attention in the past until FTM 2011 which only shows the designated preferred census in the right hand column. In order to see whether I have other census data merged, I have to go back into the view detail. Then maybe you can answer this - when I go to a new census and I do a merge, an 1850 census (designated as preferred), along with data from my file appears and then you pick and choose what info you want merged. You probably keep the person's name from your file, maybe merge a new parent, child, etc. but when it comes to the census date, you have to keep the 1850 census as the designated preferred census and allow the new 1840 census become an alternate or make the 1840 census preferred and the 1850 becomes the alternate. I never know which to designate as the preferred date. To me all census dates are important, I don't understand why one has to be designated as preferred over another. In the past I simply clicked on Facts to see what I had merged. I realize that "census" is a fact and that when similar or like facts are present, you have to select one to be the preferred fact but to me census dates should be an exception. I guess one could change the fact name to Census 1, Census 2, etc. for each census year. That would work in previous FTM's but don't know about changing it in FTM 2011. Cheers.

Posted: 14 Nov 2010 4:08AM GMT
Every fact has to have a preferred one, even ones like census. As for why I don't know, that's just the way it is. If you're making a report you can make it print all by unchecking the check box for preferred only.

Posted: 14 Nov 2010 4:15AM GMT
Thanks for your reply. I agree with what you say but I guess "it has always been done that way" is the reason it hasn't been changed. To me an exception should be for Census Years. I went into data facts to see what options are available and it crashed. FTM 2011 doesn't seem to be a very stable program - as far as my experience with it. Cheers.

Posted: 14 Nov 2010 4:48AM GMT
"What I don't understand is I have an 1850 census, I have an 1860 census and I have an 1840 census. I have to designate (make) one of them the preferred census."

Piper...based on your comment, you're still not grasping the concept. You have neither an ability or a requirement to "...designate (make) one of them the preferred census".
Each "census" offers a multitude of "facts" for different dates and events. When you have multiple "sources" giving different information for specific "facts" or "events" is the only time that a "preferred" designation is, and must be, made.

Work with the program a bit more the and light will shortly come on.

Posted: 14 Nov 2010 5:21AM GMT
Thanks for your reply. I fully understand what you are saying. When you have two or more data facts called "census", you must designate one of them to be the preferred fact. You cannot "undesignate" the preferred census fact. You can, however, mark another census fact as preferred and the census fact originally marked preferred will automatically no longer be the preferred fact. I think an exception should be made for census years. Each census year is a different fact, it is not like a birth date fact where you obviously want to designate one to be the preferred birth date fact. In printing reports you can uncheck "preferred only" and print all facts. I just want the option to have facts for each census year without having to make one particular census year the preferred fact. Without seeing the programming code, I would think that if fact equals "census" then "census" would equal "Census plus census date". You would then have fact - Census 1840, fact - Census 1850, etc. It is like having a fact called "child" and you have three children, you would be required to designate one child as the preferred child. Enough said, it is just my pet peeve. Cheers.

Posted: 14 Nov 2010 6:21AM GMT
Piper,

I've never used a Census FACT. To me a census is only a source. I've created the following custom Facts instead.

1790 Enumeration
1800 Enumeration
1810 Enumeration
etc.

Thus each is "preferred' with its own info and each shows on the person's Individual and Shared Facts page.

Posted: 14 Nov 2010 6:23AM GMT
"When you have two or more data facts called "census", you must designate one of them to be the preferred fact."

Piper, for genealogical purposes a census is not a "fact", it is a source.

Posted: 14 Nov 2010 6:29AM GMT
Thanks. How did you get your census into your enumeration fact fields? I can create the enumeration fact.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.